Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £200k for star player, fair enough?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

£200k for star player, fair enough?

I know there are enough people on here with a bit of business accumen so I put this question to you, is £200k enough for a player that has just won LOI Young Player Of The Year?
    Jay O'Shea was probably ripped off in hindsight but there you go - by that I mean Jay was a far better candidate.
    For years, since the LOI was a random post BBS piece of garbage that even Dan O'D could make sense on we've been argueing for proper transfer fees and yet this close season we have seen Jay O'Shea, Keith Fahey (recommended in fourfourtwo magazine) and now McGinn go for buttons!
    I thought Kevin Doyle and Shane Long might have stopped the flow but obviously not.
    Disclosed fee me hole, 200k Derry got for a player well worth more than that.
    Why do we bother?
    I know why we bother, because we love our teams but it is ****e that Celtic can come and take and offer undisclosed fees, pish!
    Year on year we try and better this league by supporting our holes off yet money and a feeling of beliittement lets us down. F**k Celtic and all that follow!
    Last edited by EireBadBoy; 19/12/2008 at 3:34 AM.
    I'd rather die laughing than trying!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In another example, Derry initially offered UCDD 5,000 pounds for an U21 international goalkeeper and then declined to pay the higher fee agreed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I can't see how you're upset with Celtic because Derry accepted their offer

Doyle and Long did cause transfer fees to rise, but subsequent "failures" from O'Donovan, Byrne and a host of others have brought them down again
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    CCFC reportedly got a lot more than £200k for Bennett and O'Donovan

People can say a player is worth half a million, the fact of the matter is that most clubs are hardly worth that on paper and those bidding know it. Reading seem to have some instinct for appearing at our door whenever we're most stuck to wave a derisory offer in our faces, but we keep taking them up on those offers because we [and most clubs] can rarel afford to say no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    its down to contracts whats the longest contract an eircom league player has, 2 maybe 3 years, most semi-pros are only a year, scotland and england sign players for 4-5-6 years, renegotiate with 2 years left, wheras we renegotiate with a year left, then your better off getting what you can for a player, rather than let him go for free in a year,

the eircom league is a far way away from offering contracts that can lock a player into a club, forceing the likes of celtic and reading to pay more, they will look for good deals, so if our players get to expensive theyll just go elsewhere
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don ramo View Post
    its down to contracts whats the longest contract an eircom league player has, 2 maybe 3 years, most semi-pros are only a year, scotland and england sign players for 4-5-6 years, renegotiate with 2 years left, wheras we renegotiate with a year left, then your better off getting what you can for a player, rather than let him go for free in a year,
    Thats crap. Man U might sign Rooney for 6 years but the vast, vast majority of footballesrs in Britain are on 1 and 2 year deals
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Transfer fee discussions are a process of negotiation.

The key to coming out on top in any negotiation is to be there from a position of strength (or perceived strength). To need a positive outcome less than the other side does.

City need £200k more than Celtic need either Niall McGinn or £200k. That imbalance in negotiating strength meant we were always going to get less than many people believe the player is worth.

EL clubs can't afford the balls to play poker-face in these type of negotiations and knock-back what is big money for Irish football. We’ll always blink first.

Until Irish clubs are consistently in the financial position to wave goodbye to such offers and say 'Nah - we'll just keep him and do without the £200k thanks', we won't get any higher fees. But it would be a very ballsy call to make given the current finances of all clubs here. The Directors of football clubs here understand that - it's the fans that don't seem to understand or accept it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Thats crap. Man U might sign Rooney for 6 years but the vast, vast majority of footballesrs in Britain are on 1 and 2 year deals
    That might true at the lowest level, but certainly in the Championship (and above) the average is much higher than that - I've got a complete list of current contracts for a (currently struggling) Championship club, and only 3 players are on 1 year deals, all of them former Academy players that have so far failed to get anywhere near the first team.

The majority of senior players or highly rated youngsters are on 3 and 4 year deals. That includes nearly every player in the Academy - the standard contract offered to a 16 year old at that level is for 3 years (2 trainee + 1 pro).

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    the fact of the matter is that most clubs are hardly worth that on paper and those bidding know it. Reading seem to have some instinct for appearing at our door whenever we're most stuck to wave a derisory offer in our faces, but we keep taking them up on those offers because we [and most clubs] can rarel afford to say no.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Until Irish clubs are consistently in the financial position to wave goodbye to such offers and say 'Nah - we'll just keep him and do without the £200k thanks', we won't get any higher fees.
    Agree with all of these posts.

I think Cork (at the time) felt they were in a decent position financially, and were able to hold out for higher figures for Doyle and Long.

Not talking specifically about the club in the opening post, but it's hard to turn down a bid of 200,000 quid (or whatever figure) when you desperately need the money to sort out financial affairs, even if you know the player should be valued higher. And any bidding club which does even a rudimentary amount of research will know the financial status of the selling club, and will bid accordingly. It has nothing to do with foreign clubs 'belittling' LOI clubs. It has lots to do with LOI clubs putting themselves in a position where they are forced to sell their players for less than they think the player is worth.

Didnt something similar happen with Leeds when they needed cash?
    Last edited by osarusan; 19/12/2008 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    In another example, Derry initially offered UCDD 5,000 pounds for an U21 international goalkeeper and then declined to pay the higher fee agreed.
    What did they end up paying?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I think Cork (at the time) felt they were in a decent position financially, and were able to hold out for higher figures for Doyle and Long.
    We got completely screwed over for Doyle and Long, we didn't get the opportunity to hold out at all.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    We got completely screwed over for Doyle and Long, we didn't get the opportunity to hold out at all.
    oops! I thought you got better money than usual for them. (But still not enough?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    oops! I thought you got better money than usual for them. (But still not enough?)
    We got €117,000 for Doyle and €30,000 for Long.

Reading offered the exact amount of Doyle's buy-out in what Eamonn Dolan, Reading's Academy coach called "an act of revenge" for Cork City's sacking of his brother. Long had only made a coupel of appearances for us so we weren't too concerned about it but the Doyle fee still upsets us.

Of course we recently shot ourselves in the foot by accepting any transfer fee for him in January would be €2,000,000 when we accepted a buyout of our 10% clause, so as is so often the case, CCFC are our own worse enemies.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    What did they end up paying?
    E20k (ignoring the time value difference of the E20k when we agreed it and when it was actually paid).

So the points are (a) Derry can't really complain about this when they do the exact same thing themselves and (b) £200k is a decent deal, especially when you're stuck for cash.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think over here on this island, Expecting fees of €500k+ is a bit far fetched. There are some hidden gems that will make the grade, but unfortuntely there are plenty who are excellent players but for one reason or another they just don't do it. So it is a big risk for teams to fork out big money for a player who on ratio terms is more likely to fail than to succeed.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    E20k (ignoring the time value difference of the E20k when we agreed it and when it was actually paid).

So the points are (a) Derry can't really complain about this when they do the exact same thing themselves and (b) £200k is a decent deal, especially when you're stuck for cash.
    Makes Student Mullet's original point somewhat irrelevant.

I don't think anyone blames Celtic or misses the fact that we need the money, most of the annoyance on our forum (when it works) is directed at our board for a worrying habit of agreeing to friendlies as part of the deal, leading to our fans to pay over-the-odds to help to sell our players. Madness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    ...most of the annoyance on our forum (when it works) is directed at our board for a worrying habit of agreeing to friendlies as part of the deal, leading to our fans to pay over-the-odds to help to sell our players. Madness.
    I've never thought of it like that.
    It is madness when you think about it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    But havent transfer fees improved even if only slightly? We will recieve our biggest transfer fee ever for Jay(whenever the deal actually goes through) and it will way outstrip anything we recieved previous. I would imagine that the money Pats will recieve for Fahey will also be their biggest transfer fee? In previous years anything over 100,000 euro was a big fee. Most fees for top LOI players are now substantially more than that. The fees are getting bigger although the current financial climate may put a halt to the increase.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,266 Posts
    Not really, for the two points I mentioned.

I don't think anyone blames Celtic or misses the fact that we need the money, most of the annoyance on our forum (when it works) is directed at our board for a worrying habit of agreeing to friendlies as part of the deal, leading to our fans to pay over-the-odds to help to sell our players. Madness.
    True, especially when you get a junior team Celtic side with Paddy McCourt as captain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Not really, as we had to be "leaned upon" to stump up the cash. Also we were handing over signing on fees to subsequent signings whilst still owing UCD and others cash.

Ah sh*t, I'm criticising our board.

EBB- I agree with your views, but I don't think the majority of our support realise how tight to the wire we are sailing.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast