Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Fahey

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    the last i heard the top LOI teams could offer higher wages to players than they would get in scotland hence the lack of players moving there.
    Totally off topic so I apologise but tbh Pat's aside I doubt any LOI could offer higher wages than almost any of the SPL clubs. That our top clubs choose to offer higher wages is fairly evident but whether that can actually afford to is open to speculation.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Think you're over estimating the SPL slk (see what I did there?)

A good friend of mine was offered a deal by a SPL club and it was less than his part time football wages and his full time "real" job. Couldn't accept it as he has a young family. Apart from the big two, and obvious "star" players, the SPL pays about the same wages as League 2 in England
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Think you're over estimating the SPL slk (see what I did there?)
    I do. It was clever.

A good friend of mine was offered a deal by a SPL club and it was less than his part time football wages and his full time "real" job. Couldn't accept it as he has a young family. Apart from the big two, and obvious "star" players, the SPL pays about the same wages as League 2 in England
    And I'm not disputing that at all, just suggesting that the wages we're offering here are sort of misleading because, in many cases, they're far beyond the clubs means to pay and there's no assurance the players will get them anyway. On the other hand, Gretna's inevitable and overdue implosion side, it's far less common to read about SPL players being asked to accept wage deferrals or dealing with bouncing checks.

On rereading my last post made no sense gramatically. Well it made sense but not the sense I wanted it to. Our wages here at the moment are definitely comparable to their SPL versions. I'd just question how viable and sustainable the Corks and Droghedas of this world are compared to say Dundee United or Aberdeen.
    Last edited by sadloserkid; 03/10/2008 at 12:46 PM.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Fahey to Hertha Berlin rumour means this thread can stay here now.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    And I'm not disputing that at all, just suggesting that the wages we're offering here are sort of misleading because, in many cases, they're far beyond the clubs means to pay and there's no assurance the players will get them anyway. On the other hand, Gretna's inevitable and overdue implosion side, it's far less common to read about SPL players being asked to accept wage deferrals or dealing with bouncing checks.
    You'd hear more about the finances of Scottish clubs in the Scottish media though. Hibs, Hearts and both Dundees have been in big trouble recently. The wages my mate is on wouldn't be excessive.
    ---

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Fahey to Hertha Berlin rumour means this thread can stay here now.
    Oh sod it, it's Friday so I'll bite.

This forum is (amongst other things) for past, present and potential Irish internationals. The fact that there isnt a thread for many eL players is a function of the fact that not many have fit into any of these categories. Fahey, it is argued, fits into the potential category so the thread is acceptable.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    how come when i go on an EL forum and say something along the same lines as pete has here i get an infraction (most of the time i dont mean to wind-up but it gets taken that way)and when pete comes on here and says things he gets away with it?! The usual reason is, that I have not offered a valid point to the thread in question, much the same as neither has petes point. It doesn't have any relevance to the discussion of the thread. much like this post actually
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If I could understand your post POS, I'm sure I'd argue with it
    ---

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    If I could understand your post POS, I'm sure I'd argue with it
    Ok what I meant was, I love the EL.

Pete said (para) "now that hertha are interested this thread can stay here", the point offered no insight into the discussion as had already been stated by yourself and someone else that they were, he only used it to have a go at those that say this forum is only for discussion about ROI(or quite possibly those that say say "where has the gremlin taken my thread to" ), therefore he was just WUMing....
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 03/10/2008 at 2:02 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Cheers for the claification POS. I agree (although he may ave ben reacting to the "why is my thread moved" crap thread)
    ---

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    That is a great move for Fahey if he goes to the Bundesliga. He will be able to concentrate on his game a bit more there. If he went to England and spent a little time on the bench there would be people saying: "Ah see I told ya he was no good". He is better off away from such condescending voices. Plus I think there is a stigma attached to Irish players in England. In Germany he will be judged entirely on his footballing abilities. Hope he gets it and succeeds over there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post
    . Plus I think there is a stigma attached to Irish players in England. In Germany he will be judged entirely on his footballing abilities. Hope he gets it and succeeds over there.

Dont think there is a "stigma" attached to Irish players, but I do think that a lot of the players that we are producing at the minute are better suited to continental leagues. I know this is a rather outrageous generalisation but a lot of the younger Irish players seem to be more technically gifted than the average English player. Stephen Ireland (apols) is an interesting casestudy. There were a lot of pundits and Man City fans suggesting that he was not physically up to the demands of the Premiership (a la McPhail, Andy Reid etc), but he is now coming into his own playing with the likes of Robinho. Think its a great move for Fahy and hope it might encourage more Irish players to think beyond England / Scotland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Don't think people should be talking as if he's already moved. Long, long way to go before then
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    In reference to the whole EL players not being good enough to play for the national side, I don't think it's as simple an argument as that. To make yourself stand out, a player has to show it at a higher standard. By playing so well against a limited team from the Bundesliga, but Budesliga all the same, Fahey has brought some warranted attention on himself.

The issue with doing so in the EL is that it will always leave a doubt as to the standard of the opposition, with some fairly average players playing at that level. However, it must be said that the standard is certainly on the rise and it's heartening to see. Hopefully young players might start to see a career here as being just as viable as playing overseas.

While some Irish fans may dismiss the EL, I don't think there's the hatred for it there that some seem to think. I'd imagine most would love to see it flourishing with that European breakthrough appearing to draw nearer every year.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy View Post
    While some Irish fans may dismiss the EL, I don't think there's the hatred for it there that some seem to think. I'd imagine most would love to see it flourishing with that European breakthrough appearing to draw nearer every year.
    not enough to go to the games though. And this thread shows there is certainly a bit of ill will from some so called football fans. I agree with you BTW, that the vat, vast majority of Irish football fans wish nothing but good for Irish teams in european action. Similarly the vast majority of fans of Irish teams have an interest in the national side, and foreign football, but some here try and make out that they're only interested in the league. Sure there are some loons, but the majority are stable enough...
    ---

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    do ye think that its not a good thing for a young fella to go over to England or wherever learn with the best and from the best, and then come back home and play in the league? I mean they are getting the best possible start to their career and then are bringing that back to the EL. Do some not think that the likes of fahey and those who have come back have benefitted and made better hte league.

BTW, I remember ppl saying JPK(and i remember ppl saying last year he was having a good season at Bohs) left liverpool for being homesick etc, much like what ye have said about fahey. How has he progressed since he came home? Not at all having a go, but do some disguise "homesick" being the reason when sometimes they just weren't good enough?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy View Post
    In reference to the whole EL players not being good enough to play for the national side, I don't think it's as simple an argument as that. To make yourself stand out, a player has to show it at a higher standard. By playing so well against a limited team from the Bundesliga, but Budesliga all the same, Fahey has brought some warranted attention on himself.

The issue with doing so in the EL is that it will always leave a doubt as to the standard of the opposition, with some fairly average players playing at that level. However, it must be said that the standard is certainly on the rise and it's heartening to see. Hopefully young players might start to see a career here as being just as viable as playing overseas.

Bohs in the CL next year! New qualification structure gives us a fighting chance....!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Ch...009%E2%80%9310

I'm a big EL fan but a lot of the fans can be very precious about players being 'ignored' despite their ability. Fact is it's not just the EL that players are ignored from. Look at the SPL, unless you're playing for the big 2 in Europe you're unlikely to get noticed, Noel Hunt done very well up there and wasn't getting a look in for example. For right or wrong if you're playing teams of a poor standard week in week out (and the bulk of the teams in the EL are very average, the top teams could probably survive in the Championship but the bottom half would struggle in League 1 or even League 2) then you won't get picked. Same with the SPL to a degree.

I'd love to see Fahey (or a couple of the current Bohs squad) get a call up but I won't be holding my breath.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    POS, no one disputes that the best players from Ireland need to go to bigger clubs abroad to nurture their talents BUT the problem is the 2nd or 3rd level of players are going off to play for Luton's reserve team, and the vast, vast majority come home and do nothing. Thats not good for the lads, and its not good for Irish football. The other point is that some people mature later in life than others. Don't forget that 2 of Ireland's greatest ever players played in the LOI before moving to England (McGrath and Keane) so that alone should show that the LOI isn't the wasteground some make out.

JPK is a waster. Drinks cans in a field on a regular basis. I've seen him myself. He wasn't let go by Liverpool, he decided he'd rather be at home with his mates.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    JPK is a waster. Drinks cans in a field on a regular basis. I've seen him myself. He wasn't let go by Liverpool, he decided he'd rather be at home with his mates.
    Yep, Fahey was homesick too - I remember Brady camping in his house when he was 16 trying to persuade him to stay.

He also came to Pats on a FAS course "on loan" from Villa when he had a year left on his contract but wouldn't go back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    fahey should be called up to the irish squad. he has been a joy to watch all season. would prefer if he stayed but if he went then i would hope that it would be hertha rather than some sh!te championship team.

If ronaldo or a brazillan scored the goal in the link below, i would how many zeros it would add to his value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPv-OIpsI1s
    Saint Patricks Athletic Fans Team. Eircom League Supporters Cup Champions 2006. P3 W2 D1 L0 F3 A0. Thats why we're champions, Thats why we're champions, Thats why.............

Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast