Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Narrow minds?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    [QUOTE=Dodge;1026152]So how does generally not liking a genre of music make you closed minded? If you give a song./band/album a chance, thats open minded for me. I've listened to heavy metal. The fact I think its pretty much 100% tripe isn't being closed minded, its just having taste.

QUOTE]

well if you say so it must be right
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    well done noby, i was hoping someone would spot the irony

Everyone says they are open-minded when it comes to music, but really they aren't, that was my point

You sound like my old Geography teacher in his 'Did you spot my deliberate mistake?' mode. I didn't believe him either.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    thats completely up to you noby, if you have enough time on your hands to be remembering your geography teacher then fair play Do you remember RE to the same extent then?!

So do you not think that everyone is closed minded to a varying degree when it comes to music?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Yes, but with a wide varying degree. Some people dip their toe in some genres. listen to a little, and decide it's not for them. I don't think that's very close-minded, but just being practical - I don't have enough time to listen to every metal band out there, if that were even possible, but from what I've heard from the genre it's not for me. I do have some Math rock stuff that wouldn't be a million miles from it though, so there is a lot of blurring of the lines of genres. But, essentially, metal is crud. <winkie>

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That Math rock is just crap, i like all others but that

Seriouslly though, its definitely not for me. Sometimes I think there is a "snobility" when it comes to certain genres and types of that genre, and with that Math ROck( and grind core/math core) stuff I would say that there is an element of that to it. Loads of black dots on a sheet doesn't necessarily make - or mean - good music. I'm sure great composers would say that too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    I do have some Math rock stuff that wouldn't be a million miles from it though, so there is a lot of blurring of the lines of genres. But, essentially, metal is crud. <winkie>
    PUN ALERT...
    Would American band +44 be Math rock?

I'll get my coat. Seriously, I've never heard of Math rock before. Any examples?
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think Captan Beefheart would be a good example, he reminds me of Tom Waits with actual music in the background. Loads others from the 80s, simplest way to describe it is music without any particular direction, i.e. no VCV basics and few riffs the same. I'm sure the nerds have a "proper" description for it though

Sum 41 would be a good eample of Math rock.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Sum 41 would be a good eample of Math rock.
    2x4 by Metallica is a good Math rock song.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I dont mean the killers/all that crap skinny jeans type "rock" i mean proper rock, none of that homo-erotic rock of the late 90's and current bands.
    Just as well there's nothing homoerotic about metal so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So how does generally not liking a genre of music make you closed minded? If you give a song./band/album a chance, thats open minded for me. I've listened to heavy metal. The fact I think its pretty much 100% tripe isn't being closed minded, its just having taste.

Oh and I've at least 2 Britney Spears songs on my mp3 player. Most of her stuff is cack obviously but give me Toxic over 99% of stuff released in the last 10 years.

If forced to pick a favourite genre I'd go with Late 60s/early 70s soul.
    Exactly.
    This would be my definition of having an open mind. If I like the sound of something I listen to it. If I dont , I dont. I dont really care what genre or whether the band are considered cool or not cool when deciding whether to like somethig or not. Or even if every other one of the band in questions songs are cack. If the song is good I like it. A lot of snobbery when it comes to music and this would be my definition of narrow minded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I only like songs that are condidered cool. I don't care if I actually like it at all as long as the cool people and journalists say its good thats all I care. Actually I don't really listen to music but just read music magazines and fashion magazines so I know what is good and sure as long as I know what I know is good, it keeps it simple for me
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    well done noby, i was hoping someone would spot the irony

Everyone says they are open-minded when it comes to music, but really they aren't, that was my point
    Well I said something along those lines, I mentioned some boyband songs annoying me.

Open minded to me is not liking all music, it's not branding music that other people like and you don't as rubbish.. like my father does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I only like songs that are condidered cool. I don't care if I actually like it at all as long as the cool people and journalists say its good thats all I care. Actually I don't really listen to music but just read music magazines and fashion magazines so I know what is good and sure as long as I know what I know is good, it keeps it simple for me
    Father Jessup.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I don't even read the music press, I have a friend that does it and tells me what's impossibly hip each week. I used to have another lad that did that but one of the bands he told me about sold a couple of hundred albums one time so I had to get rid of him. Glad to say am very happy with the current arrangement though.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauro 76 View Post
    Seriously, I've never heard of Math rock before. Any examples?
    Ok, I'm no expert on the field, but the likes of Captain Beefheart etc. would be influences, with their strange timings etc.

There's a funny quote on the Wiki page from Matt Sweeney from Chavez (a band I was into in the mid-nineties, long before I ever heard the term):

It was invented by a friend of ours as a derogatory term for a band me and James (Lo) played in called Wider. But his whole joke is that he'd watch the song and not react at all, and then take out his calculator to figure out how good the song was. So he'd call it math rock, and it was a total diss, as it should be.
    Besides Chavez, who I still wouldn't pigeon-hole into the 'genre', a friend's brother was in a band called Death to Tyrants, so I picked up their album - all instrumental, heavy riffs, odd timing etc. - which I would class as your typical math-rock. From there I picked up another couple of albums from the same label. Only after all this was I informed of the math-rock tag. And there ends my knowledge of the genre.
    Unfortunately Haircut 100's Love Plus One is not Math rock.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughs
    I like the sound of something I listen to it. If I dont , I dont.
    Perhaps I'm picking this up incorrectly, but this suggests that if a tune hasnt got an instantly attainable sound, for example a catchy (superficial) drum and riff combo, then you're not interested. This is the primary allegation I make against RHCP fans, and I think it constitutes narrow mindedness.

We all have our preferred genres and I agree that there is no point feigning an interest in other music just to show an extensive palette. However, some music requires numberous listens before you enjoy it, and in my experience, these albums usually prove the most fruitful in the long run.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Perhaps I'm picking this up incorrectly, but this suggests that if a tune hasnt got an instantly attainable sound, for example a catchy (superficial) drum and riff combo, then you're not interested. This is the primary allegation I make against RHCP fans, and I think it constitutes narrow mindedness.

We all have our preferred genres and I agree that there is no point feigning an interest in other music just to show an extensive palette. However, some music requires numberous listens before you enjoy it, and in my experience, these albums usually prove the most fruitful in the long run.
    translation..."perhaps if I could just put words in your mouth...."
    no it means if I like something I will like it regardless of whether the artist is some obscure throat singer from outer mongolia or ...gary barlow. I wouldnt turn off the RHCP if they were on the radio in the car but I wouldnt own anything belonging to them. Or particularly want to. If they released a song ya did like would ya not listen to it cause it was them?
    I dont know what "instantly attainable sound" is? This week I was listening to Kate & Anna McGarrigle(amazing), slide (traditional Irish but a class apart) Abba, the Who ,Creedance, picturehouse, elo ,fleet foxes, bob dylan ,hortense(sp) ellis,aretha franklin dont play that song for me,a tribute concert for woody guthrie,blondie and the new single "Paris" from la rocca(available at all good record shops now). next week it will be a bunch of different stuff. (The only sound I dont like is that over produced 80s synth sound. e.g. Prince. )

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Pretty much anything except Jazz - I'm with Jimmy Rabbitte on that one.

Giving genre's a go and finding you don't like them isn't being closed minded - you're hardly going to spend time listening to stuff you don't like.

Mostly male, internet football message board users are predominately into white guitar music. Who'd have thunk it?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    There is only one genre of music I cannot abide - Bavarian traditional music. At night, I can still hear the screams.

In attempting a definition - Tuneless Brass "music" basically.

I was terrorised with this caterwaul cunningly passing itself off as music while trapped in a taxi in Munich on Sunday. With a Hangover.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    I don't decide what music I like by their catagory, I judge by whether I like the song or not.
    Yep me too. I generally have no idea who the band or artist is. Just judge the songs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast