Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Government's skewed priorities to the fore again...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Government's skewed priorities to the fore again...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7617518.stm

Irish diplomats have raised concerns with the Scottish Government over chanting by a section of the Rangers support at last month's Old Firm match.

Representations were made by Ireland's Consul General after a Celtic supporter complained about a song which refers to the Irish potato famine.
    WTF? Why is our government getting involved in this? Which saddo made this complaint, and why was it entertained instead of being laughed off as none of their business?

As with Bertie Ahern condemning derogatory chants directed by Bohs fans at Roy Keane's Sunderland last year, it seems the government only feel compelled to intervene where British clubs are concerned, whilst simultaneously p1ssing all over Irish football.
    Last edited by A face; 15/09/2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Typo
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Its actually unreal, and a source of amusement from non nationals. You couldn't make it up if you tried.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Next they'll be protesting to the English FA that the Engerland fans in Croatia were interspersing chants of "We hate Setanta" with "No Surrender to the IRA"....

Its not like there's anything better they could be spending their time doing what with the economy doing so well and our reputation in Europe being golden.

Muppets.

P.S. A Face, what is a non-national?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Next they'll be protesting to the English FA that the Engerland fans in Croatia were interspersing chants of "We hate Setanta" with "No Surrender to the IRA"....

Its not like there's anything better they could be spending their time doing what with the economy doing so well and our reputation in Europe being golden.

Muppets.
    Good point actually, where are they drawing the line ...... in fact it would be brilliant .... pure unadulterated brilliance if someone could urge them to actually intervene and raise concerns with the English Government over this. It would really highlight how retarded the situation is.

P.S. A Face, what is a non-national?
    Three different scenarios, two in work and one down the pub. Non nationals involved Welsh, English, Polish, German, Spanish and Belgium. I am on the receiving end of ridicule (light hearted all of it) in one scenario over it, at least they try and wind me and another few up ..... but they all have a point. Its completely hair brained what is happening and on that scale. Its embarrassing but at least i'm not part of it.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7617518.stm
    As with Bertie Ahern condemning derogatory chants directed by Bohs fans at Roy Keane's Sunderland last year, it seems the government only feel compelled to intervene where British clubs are concerned, whilst simultaneously p1ssing all over Irish football.
    Would you be content for Rangers or any other fans to celebrate the holocaust without protest from the Israeli government or Jewish organizations? Would Isreali football fans be embarrassed? I'm all for giving it to Bertie and his SundIreland buddies, but I think we need a little perspective here.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    As chants go I would think that is very mild stuff for the old firm. My entertaining that complaint they are setting a precedent so will have to take up all the other complaints that follow. It is the Irish consulate & not the Irish government anyway.

It doesn't mention if an Irish person complained.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    It doesn't mention if an Irish person complained.

It says a 'Celtic supporter', so as good as...

*runs and hides*
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    Would you be content for Rangers or any other fans to celebrate the holocaust without protest from the Israeli government or Jewish organizations?
    Because that's a totally analogous situation.

Get off the stage, everyone knows what to expect at an Old Firm game and that it essentially has nothing to do with Ireland or the Irish. Travelling from Ireland to support either team is basically an act of bigotry in itself and the stupidity of the individual who made the complaint is only surpassed by that of the representatives of the Irish state who chose to entertain it.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Because that's a totally analogous situation.

Get off the stage, everyone knows what to expect at an Old Firm game and that it essentially has nothing to do with Ireland or the Irish. Travelling from Ireland to support either team is basically an act of bigotry in itself and the stupidity of the individual who made the complaint is only surpassed by that of the representatives of the Irish state who chose to entertain it.
    Don't equate the Irish famine and the Sunderland farce and then tell me to get off the stage.
    It would be fatuous to suggest that the famine and the holocaust were totally analogous, and I didn't, but there are analogous elements. In this case it is the celebration by a bunch of sickos in Scotland of mass starvation as government policy in the 19th century, and rejoicing in the mass extermination of Jews and others in the 20th.
    Doing that as as part of some comically dated sectarian ritual doesn't turn it into an irrelevant jape. I certainly agree with you on the idiocy of Celtic and Rangers fans both, but that doesn't give them carte blanche.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Travelling from Ireland to support either team is basically an act of bigotry in itself is a totaly stupid thing to say FFS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrog View Post
    Travelling from Ireland to support either team is basically an act of bigotry in itself is a totaly stupid thing to say FFS
    Well it is a sweeping statement, but as we all know whichever team that is supported follows almost totally along a religious divide so the point could be argued that the reason behind choosing one side or another could be rooted in sectarianism or even bigotry! I recently saw a program on BBC on what it meant to be British...the answer given by the portadown grandmaster of orange lodge was 'anti-irish' oh how i laughed as i thought how great it was to play such an important role in their psyche...british = anti-irish...brilliant! In that regard our government such be above giving any attention to such trivial matters. Treat them like children, ignore the bold natured attention seeking and it will eventually stop. The rangers fans would only be too delighted to see their actions causing insult and annoyance. Assuming a lack of violence i would ignore nazi saluting etc too and non white players/jews et al should ignore this sub-species also...although within reason maybe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    Would you be content for Rangers or any other fans to celebrate the holocaust without protest from the Israeli government or Jewish organizations?
    I would completely agree with this statement. Both types of ethnic cleansing but if it would be 10 times worse or perceived worse to be singing about the holocaust.
    I'm all for forgive and forget and reconcilliation but a person/govt has a right to complain in relation to racial discrimination which is exactly what it is.

BTW; anybody know the words of the song (just to show it for what it is)
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    BTW; anybody know the words of the song (just to show it for what it is)
    "The famine's over, why don't you go home?" is the line that gets quoted in reports. Seems spectacularly inoccuous, compared with my expectations.

The famine was genocide by economics, which lacks the sheer inhumanity of the ovens and gas chambers of the Holocost, but the subject still deserves to be treated with respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Cannot be upsetting those poor Celtic fans who have never sung an offensive song to anyone. little angels all of them.
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    "The famine's over, why don't you go home?" is the line that gets quoted in reports. Seems spectacularly inoccuous, compared with my expectations.

The famine was genocide by economics, which lacks the sheer inhumanity of the ovens and gas chambers of the Holocost, but the subject still deserves to be treated with respect.
    I tried to find it on wiki but it just said those words
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Those are the offensive words according to the BBC report "the famine's over why don't you go home"

These Old Frim games must be very tame now if that is the most offensive thing sung there. Both sets of fans have been known to sing songs glorifying sectarian terrorists who committed brutal atrocities in living memory. I can understand complaints on that score but this seems over the top to me.

I really think our government should stick to representing our citizens. I think they have far more serious things to be worried about. Although on second thoughts having been called a "stab city w£$ker" by Rovers fans has left me scarred for life. I wonder can our government do anything about it. A few million quid compo would do nicely.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here is the words of it here. Also brings the smear campaign of Jock Stein into it in relation to child abuse.

www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=73402

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    I've actually heard worse songs but I can see how it would be offensive to a sensitive Irish Celtic fan.

Edit: TBH I'd expect nothing less from both Celtic and Rangers supporters
    Last edited by jinxy lilywhite; 16/09/2008 at 2:44 PM.
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Hang on how is not not 'worse' than the Holocaust? Please explain that please. As someone said it didn't have the brutality of the holocaust but nothing to be sniffed at. so we should laugh it off, what a ****ing idiot.

seriously sometimes i hate league of ireland fans. for a league you tell people to support cause its irish, a lot seem to actually hate ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    It happened many many years ago get over it. The same with the holocaust, whats done is done time for people to move on.
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast