Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Jack Charlton

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Have listened to some of it, gonna try and listen to the rest shortly.
    But my first reaction is duggan! You'd swear the man never drank a Duff in his life.
    A real pity. Joe Molloy has his flaws and, even if he does like the sound of his own voice, manages to control and shape an interview well. I wish he had been on duty.

Still, it is great to get the immediate reaction of so many important people during the journey Charlton took us on. All managed to have a celebratory tone and provide a nice story or two.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    November 15th, 1989. Ireland 2 - 0 Malta.
    That was the day football arrived in my school, a staunchly GAA diocesan college with a former All-Star and a future county manager on the staff. A scattering of handball titles too. We were called to an assembly in the basketball hall (the only nod to foreign sports, but it was ball in hand and American so that was OK). We crowded in expecting nothing good – a tedious oration from the bishop, one of the boarders had TB… the rumour mill was in overdrive. Instead, two televisions had been wheeled to the top of the hall, and for the next two hours we roared ourselves hoarse – even lads whose natural instinct was to mitch stayed put. The language of square balls and 45s gave way to talk of channels, Aldo’s chances, the certainty that this was our moment. From time to time, after that, we got to see an odd match here and there, but that first day brought all the magic.

The football was rudimentary, but it was a direct ball with purpose not hopeful punts into channels. And it wasn’t a style of play chosen for a team of no-hopers unworthy of any other style as Trapattoni organised us, or as in the dog days of O’Neill’s tenure. It was the way Jack organised all his teams – maybe it was a compliment to our qualities that Jack persevered with his way of playing, knowing we would produce the results, knowing we were good enough to carry on his success, to meet his standards. We may not have played the prettiest football under Jack, but we played with the strongest mentality and self-belief, the steeliest discipline and ruthlessness, I’ve seen in 30+ years watching Ireland play. He made us fearless and feared, he made us proud. He fitted in. He gave us the nerve to eat at the top table and the gumption to sweep aside the delicacies for a Harry Ramsden’s served up with extra attitude. Jack got us, and we got him.

Thanks, Jack. Rest well, big man.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Similar experiences to those your Eminence, primary school, christian brothers, gaa only played, and the principal Brother Ronald(who went off and married a nun, maybe ahead of his time in more ways than one ) brought us all into the assembly hall and wheeled in an old TV, and somehow managed to get the TV in. Jack brought football to parts of ireland that would never have even discussed it. He created the greatest childhood memories and provided us with the budding of a love affair with the Ireland national team. By all accounts he was very proud of the irish people and his role in getting us recognised. Some great stories about his time in ireland and in Ballina that ive seen come out since, when lads would be annoying him while he was fishing, all showing the humble great man he was. RIP Big Jack.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    What can I say about Big Jack ? I was of a generation who thought we'd never qualify for anything. I think my first match was in 1964 when I was 10. We had good sides with big names in English football but couldn't quite get there. World Cups and Euros were for other nations and then Jack was appointed: a winner. I remember that great sports writer, Con Houlihan, wrote a scathing article about his appointment. I kept it because I knew he'd be wrong as I had seen what Jack had done at Sheffield Wednesday. On the way to be relegated to the old 4th division, he turned everything round and when he left they were challenging to be promoted to the old 1st division. I sent the article back to Con after Italia 90 but he didn't reply. Even great writers can be wrong sometimes.

I will never forget the Scottish game in Sofia and the unbelievable excitement that we HAD QUALIFIED for a tournament at last. I rang my friend (subsequently to fall out with over Saipan) with whom I had travelled to all foreign parts supporting Ireland and we immediately agreed we were off to Germany. I can still remember that Aer Lingus plane carrying the team landing in Germany for the tournament: how emotional was that? Ireland was on the world stage.

The rest is history and it's all down to Big Jack. It irked me a bit that the team I had followed through thick and thin with the hardcore supporters suddenly became a national phenomenon. It was like as if someone came up to me and said you're now following Manchester United. But that support was always there really. It just needed a catalyst. I had almost been crushed to death at internationals in Dalymount well before Jack and even FAI Cup Finals (e.g Rovers v Waterford in 1969). The attacks by the RTE Panel on him also sickened me but that's what we do in Ireland for ratings. It can never be taken away from Jack that he was the first to fulfill my and thousands of others dreams. To sing Amhrán na bhFiann at a major tournament and for the team to perform at those tournaments was just unbelievable. I had always intended to go to his funeral wearing the green top but it is now to be. There aren't many people in the world about whom you can say they fulfilled your dream: Jack was one for me. Thanks Jack
    WHy did you fall out with the guy over Saipan?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    RIP Big Jack.

I’m listening to all the tributes and I could listen to stories about Jack all day long.

I was too young for 88 but 90 and 94 were magical for a kid. It was probably even better if you were young, free and single. Must have been carnage in Italy and the States.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    if you were young, free and single. Must have been carnage in Italy and the States.
    Well, lots of drinking certainly. Not much else! At least that was my experience

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    RIP Big Jack.

I’m listening to all the tributes and I could listen to stories about Jack all day long.

I was too young for 88 but 90 and 94 were magical for a kid. It was probably even better if you were young, free and single. Must have been carnage in Italy and the States.
    I wondered about this, we met a lad on the way to poland who was probably mid to early 50s then, or looked very good for his age, who told us he and another lad met some Italian one want spent 4 weeks travelling Italy with her. I was trying to figure out if they both were getting their merry way or what. But from what he said, as a lad coming from london, that wasn't the norm. Money I imagine would have been tight and restrictive to stay out there and if you managed that then it was probably even tighter, unless you were an emigrant going to Italy. I imagine 1990 was probably more open than 1990 Ireland though. But like any tournament, I imagine it was 90% men there, and even less females than you'd get now. Even if the numbers were smaller. So to sum up, I imagine it wasn't too dissimilar to France 2016, and a little less similar to poland 2012 bar the numbers.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    What can I say about Big Jack ? I was of a generation who thought we'd never qualify for anything. I think my first match was in 1964 when I was 10. We had good sides with big names in English football but couldn't quite get there. World Cups and Euros were for other nations and then Jack was appointed: a winner. I remember that great sports writer, Con Houlihan, wrote a scathing article about his appointment. I kept it because I knew he'd be wrong as I had seen what Jack had done at Sheffield Wednesday. On the way to be relegated to the old 4th division, he turned everything round and when he left they were challenging to be promoted to the old 1st division. I sent the article back to Con after Italia 90 but he didn't reply. Even great writers can be wrong sometimes.

I will never forget the Scottish game in Sofia and the unbelievable excitement that we HAD QUALIFIED for a tournament at last. I rang my friend (subsequently to fall out with over Saipan) with whom I had travelled to all foreign parts supporting Ireland and we immediately agreed we were off to Germany. I can still remember that Aer Lingus plane carrying the team landing in Germany for the tournament: how emotional was that? Ireland was on the world stage.

The rest is history and it's all down to Big Jack. It irked me a bit that the team I had followed through thick and thin with the hardcore supporters suddenly became a national phenomenon. It was like as if someone came up to me and said you're now following Manchester United. But that support was always there really. It just needed a catalyst. I had almost been crushed to death at internationals in Dalymount well before Jack and even FAI Cup Finals (e.g Rovers v Waterford in 1969). The attacks by the RTE Panel on him also sickened me but that's what we do in Ireland for ratings. It can never be taken away from Jack that he was the first to fulfill my and thousands of others dreams. To sing Amhrán na bhFiann at a major tournament and for the team to perform at those tournaments was just unbelievable. I had always intended to go to his funeral wearing the green top but it is now to be. There aren't many people in the world about whom you can say they fulfilled your dream: Jack was one for me. Thanks Jack
    Con wrote an article the day after the first competitive game under Jack, the away game v Belgium and was full of praise for the team, the performance and the fans.
    He was there.
    Most people recognise that the FAI's process to appoint Jack was an embarrasing shambles. What Con wrote that annoyed you was after the first friendly v Wales, something to the extent that 'it's a pity that Brian Clough doesn't fish', a quip on Charton referring to what he knew about Ireland, 'it's a good place to fish'

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Most people recognise that the FAI's process to appoint Jack was an embarrasing shambles.
    Do you know, I don't think I've seen or heard any mention of the infamous thrown bun as yet in any of the media coverage.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Molloy is a Gob$hite. Thats why he fits in at Newtalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Well, lots of drinking certainly. Not much else! At least that was my experience
    I don't believe you. I'm sure there's a couple of Jersey Shore Guido's with fond memories of a skinny well-spoken Dub.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    David Squires on Jack: https://www.theguardian.com/football...-jack-charlton
    Warning - that last panel is going to get you.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Do you know, I don't think I've seen or heard any mention of the infamous thrown bun as yet in any of the media coverage.
    That was from an earlier time when Paddy Mulligan was a candidate coming up against Eoin Hand who was appointed after winning the vote 9-7. One blazer said he didn't vote for Mulligan as he suspected Paddy of throwing a bun at him. Paddy said later he did throw a bun up in the air in the hotel at an away game, it just happened to land on a blazer, who got his revenge years later as only a FAI blazer would.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    That was from an earlier time when Paddy Mulligan was a candidate coming up against Eoin Hand who was appointed after winning the vote 9-7. One blazer said he didn't vote for Mulligan as he suspected Paddy of throwing a bun at him. Paddy said later he did throw a bun up in the air in the hotel at an away game, it just happened to land on a blazer, who got his revenge years later as only a FAI blazer would.
    Jesus the FAI dont deserve us as fans

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Third last one too.

I don't think Squires has ever packed so much into so few words.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Jeez Tets, that's lovely.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Think I have something in my eye
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Brilliant drawings of Jack should be framed and sold.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Brilliant drawings of Jack should be framed and sold.
    The print can be purchased for £35 - https://guardianprintshop.com/collec...-jack-charlton

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Jesus the FAI dont deserve us as fans
    They kind of do though...not this board, obs.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast