Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni - Questionable?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    1) How is anything that has happened in the past, with club teams, relevant to Irelands qualifying campaign this year??
    Ciaran II

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Austrian League is much higher than Eircom league, Sturm Graz in champions league. Trap won the league in Austria but never qualified for the champions league.

K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Just a point on Andy Maradona, who should be an automatic starter for Ireland apparantly:

Sunderland 1-4 Bolton

He started and was subbed after 63 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Just a point on Andy Maradona, who should be an automatic starter for Ireland apparantly:

Sunderland 1-4 Bolton

He started and was subbed after 63 minutes.
    He played as a wide player in a 4-4-2.

If you want to blame the wide players for the concession of 4 goals, you know nothing about football, end of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Couldn't care less what position he played, it's not the point.

If he's subbed after an hour, in a team that's getting beat 4 by the likes of Bolton at home, he's not currently entitled to a guaranteed start at international level.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Here, here!
    Can't see why a successful Italian coaching legend is overlooking a slow, one-footed, unfit,injury prone centre midfielder who rarely plays there at club level and who can't tackle or win a header. Surely they're all the ingredients you'd want in a midfielder??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I'm not advocating for us to make him an automatic starter, but he should definitely be in the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think I started this whole 'Trapp's achievement in the past being irrelevant' thing before it spiralled out of control, and I'd just like to clear up what I was saying. All I was trying t get across was that come October, if we're 3rd in the Group with Gibson and Whelan having started every qualifier the guns will be out and what he did in the past becomes irrelevant as far as Ireland are concerned. Of course what he has done in the past in completely relevant in relation to him knowing how to handle different situations and having a good idea how to qualify for major tournaments.

Andy Reid was very poor for Sunderland at the wkd and his substitution came as no surprise on the hour. The previous match against West Ham I thought he was their best player and should have played the full 90. It was my first time seeing Carsley this season also and I thought he was very good in a difficult match for Birmingham. In one way he's getting more of a raw deal than AReid as he would fit into the "system" quite easily. He didn't look anything like his 34 years at Wolves anyway and by all accounts seems to be playing to that standard every week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal
    Andy Reid was very poor for Sunderland at the wkd and his substitution came as no surprise on the hour. The previous match against West Ham I thought he was their best player and should have played the full 90.
    This sums up my point about him been an enigma. You don't know what player you're going to get from one game to the next. But if he's not up to scratch against the likes of Bolton, then Trappattoni is justified for not picking him.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    ultimately for me, reids problem is that he plays is under a club manager whose tactically nieve at times and this was shown yet again on saturday
    Last edited by back of the net; 01/12/2008 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    If he's subbed after an hour, in a team that's getting beat 4 by the likes of Bolton at home, he's not currently entitled to a guaranteed start at international level.
    whil i fully agree with you mypost, and i dont know your position on the following - this simply begs the question as to what guarantees Kilbane, Whelan and Gibson a start in the national team... such inconsistency in rationale from "The Trap" just beggars belief...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    This sums up my point about him been an enigma. You don't know what player you're going to get from one game to the next. But if he's not up to scratch against the likes of Bolton, then Trappattoni is justified for not picking him.

In Reid's defence he is at least seeing some first team action, and more than Miller who is in the squad. Whelan and Gibson are not getting any first team football so why is Trapp justified picking them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He was consistently brilliant for them last season. Saturday was probably his worst performance since he joined but he worked hard and none of the midfielders were any better.

I think it's probably time for Reid's agent to get him a move out of Britain. Not his type of game at all the Bolton one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Not sure if his drinking and guitar playing would go down well in the continent though.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    whil i fully agree with you mypost, and i dont know your position on the following - this simply begs the question as to what guarantees Kilbane, Whelan and Gibson a start in the national team... such inconsistency in rationale from "The Trap" just beggars belief...

But who is there to replace them? Apart from carsely none are playing regular. andrews is the only one that comes close and he got a run out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Clearly Traps not the only one who has an issue with Reid. Keane hardly put up a resounding case for his iunclusion when he was asked, he simply said he was laid down a "challenge" by Trap as Keane had done so at Sunderland for him so clearly Keano isn't too impressed by him lately either.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DotTV View Post
    But who is there to replace them? Apart from carsely none are playing regular. andrews is the only one that comes close and he got a run out.
    Garvan, McCann, O'Toole are all playing regularly and well in The Championship as is McPhail. O'Shea gets more game time in midfield for UTD than he does at CB, and Delap has started more Premiership games this season than any other Irish midfielder. Personally I would not even regard Whelan, Gibson, Miller and Andrews as worthy of incusion in the squad never mind the starting 11.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thats my point though. We're talking about replacing premiership squad members with championship starters. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just saying there's not much difference between them. garvan and o'toole are unproven at international level so when does he fit them in? O'shea has been playing well for us at CB and we don't have much cover there either. Delap has had his chances.
    There really arent that many great options out there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DotTV View Post
    Thats my point though. We're talking about replacing premiership squad members with championship starters. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just saying there's not much difference between them. garvan and o'toole are unproven at international level so when does he fit them in? O'shea has been playing well for us at CB and we don't have much cover there either. Delap has had his chances.
    There really arent that many great options out there
    The options aren't great but I think they are no worse than what he has done so far. Gibson was just drafted in for a qualifier so why can't these other guys. Nothing to lose going on Gibsons form so far. Personally I would prefer Championship starters any day of the week other than fellas warming the bench at thier Premier League clubs. I don't mind the likes of O'Shea who plays fairly often for United and is established at international level but Whelan and Gibson get no playing time at all. Whelan doesn't even get used off the bench for Stoke, that's absolutely scandalous bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Personally I'd like to see Carsley playing but otherwise you're replacing one liability with another. We're seriously weak in centre mid.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast