Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Norn Iron rubbish part 23452346526

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Metrostars, the reason why the UK has 4 teams is that the game was invented there and the first international fixtures were between England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.
    So???
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    So...FIFA's set up and says to the four associations..'oh..err yeah..you have to merge into one'

'fine..we won't join'

Another footballing "body" is set up which does allow the four UK sides and FIFA slips into history.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Boovidge,
    FIFA are fools, but the pretext of preserving those 4 teams is hardly a reason to set up a rival organisation. And it would probably have less credibility than even FIFA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Boovidge,
    FIFA are fools, but the pretext of preserving those 4 teams is hardly a reason to set up a rival organisation. And it would probably have less credibility than even FIFA!
    In the early 20th century I'm not so sure.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    That was the point way up thread I made to NB, way over his head, about London or Yorkshire or Cork starting their own teams....which are as logical as a certain other side!
    I love the irony in that.

Once upon a time, there was only one football Association on the island of Ireland - the Irish Football Association.

Then, there was a breakaway Association formed.

That breakaway Association didn't like the Irish Football Association continuing to play players from throughout the 32 Counties.

They huffed and they puffed, and cried "it's not fair" in order to get it stopped.

The breakaway Association asked for a "Gentleman's Agreement" - they got it.

Many years later, the breakaway Association decided it wanted to pick players throughout the island of Ireland - the "Gentleman's Agreement" with the founding Association on the island was in tatters.

Supporters of the founding Association on the island got a tad ****ed off at this, but took the punch, and are moving on.

Now, supporters of the breakaway Association wish to see the very destruction of the founding Association.

They wonder why supporters of the founding Association want fcuk all to do with a "united" team.

The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator
    How do you mean 'Irish involvement'? Management wise?
    Er, I mean there'd be fewer Irish teams involved (as I've made clear in most of my 27 earlier posts on the thread). Or put another way, the likelihood of me having a team to support in future would fall from 100% to zero.

Arguably, the Yugoslavia teams were stronger as one and the same could arguably be said for the Soviet Union teams
    Arguably indeed- although of course that wasn't my point. In the ****-taking spirit of the thread, I was suggesting that any fan supporting two or more of the Yugoslav successor countries now has up to six chances to see their teams progress. Before 1992, they didn't.

I still think our chances would be better as one, the 'reality' does not state otherwise
    I've given you a real (if trite) example how it does- there are more teams from ex-Yugoslavia qualifying for competitions than there were from Yugoslavia. Doesn't your logic suggest that each of the successors would be weakened, and fall back to the level of smaller countries...like us?
    More seriously, the cyclical nature of football applies more to smaller countries. In the last 10 years, Northern Ireland have produced ONE player (Jonny Evans) of the highest quality, ie good enough to play regularly at the sharp end of the Champions' League. There's no guarantee that we'll even match that in the next decade. So any notional all-Ireland side just isn't necessarily going to be significantly stronger than you are at the moment, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer 82
    And i would imagine the best players would be picked, regardless of what part of the island they're from
    Hardly, you're likely to continue playing people from Glasgow, Birmingham, Preston and Retford, like you did last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Boovidge
    I understand it's all hypothetical but it's not exactly in the realms of fantasy that Scots independence would throw up serious questions about Northern Ireland's future. I only mentioned it because NB seemed to be saying that N.I were part of the UK whether the rest of the union wanted them or not
    As mentioned up-thread, William Hill have replied with odds for Scottish independence by 31.12.2012- 33/1 (ie, not happening anytime soon). There are constant serious questions about NI's future- inevitable when 42% vote for united Ireland parties. I take your point about support for the united Britain needing to be mutual, but in reality there hasn't been a single election here since 1921 in which kicking out NI was an issue- not even during 30+ years of the troublings.

Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars
    But why should England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland get special dispensation?
    Apart from the historical precedent, when FIFA were skint after WW2, we bailed them out (with a Britain v Rest of the World game, inter alia). Part of the deal agreed with Stanley Rous (big cheese in both the English FA and FIFA at the time) was four sepearate teams in perpetuity, and ex-officio jobs in the committee that regularly reviews the laws of the game. Of course such deals can be renegotiated, and FIFA keep making noises about excluding non-sovereign countries- mainly to please Spain who are worried about losing Catalunya, Euskal and er Gibraltar). But in practice there's no threat. Hardly anyone outside the South's support cares.

I live in Connecticut. If set up the CFA and get if approved by FIFA, can I create my Connecticut team to compete in Concacaf?
    Of course, although I think you may be slightly understating the difficulty in getting approval from FIFA, particularly their top man in the USA, Chuck Blazer (is that really his name?).

Quote Originally Posted by Riddickule
    this COULD trigger NI seceding also, which would leave them no choice really but to unify...well, they wouldn't have to unify, be pretty daft not to though
    Alternatively, we could remain united to England and Wales, or (less likely) become independent, perhaps even with the border re-drawn. There are plenty of other European countries of similar size, some of which have suffered even more political violence and economic decay in recent years. And with all due respect to the Republic, your ruined economy isn't any more of a draw to us than your football team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Kerry
    I'd say you have about 15-20 years max before there is a nationalist majority.

http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/se...bel/Demography

The "NI" state will not exist long after that so a football team will be out of the question
    As NB says above, nationalist commentators have been saying that for decades. Most analyses I've read recently suggest the population identifying themselves and their children as Catholic will peak at about 46% in the next 10 years. Not all of those people vote nationalist at the moment, who's to say what the next generation will do after that?

If there ever is a 51% nationalist-voting majority, I imagine the border would be redrawn. That's what Northern Ireland has always been for, after all.
    In the 2007 assembly election Nationalists were only 42,000 votes off a majority
    Nationalist parties got 41.3% of the poll, which means they were 17.4% behind non-nationalists (or about 124,000). You can't add up.
    Last edited by Gather round; 25/11/2009 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post

Hardly, you're likely to continue playing people from Glasgow, Birmingham, Preston and Retford, like you did last week.

you know what I meant: regardless of whether they feel more associated with the Republic or the 6 counties....
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Off topic discussion moved here. If you want to discuss something other than football, do it in the appropriate forum please. I won't be moving any further OT posts as it takes too much time, they'll be deleted.

Thanks,
    adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 25/11/2009 at 6:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    If I was a N.I. fan I would be far more concerned at the amount of players the Republic seem to attract. Not just lads in the North who decide to play for us, but also those in England with Irish parents and grandparents.

I have a mate who was born in the North, and I think he made over 50 under-age appearances for the Republic. He was never even contacted by the North, that pretty much sums it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    If I was a N.I. fan I would be far more concerned at the amount of players the Republic seem to attract
    Thanks for the concern, but I'm fairly relaxed about it for two reasons,

a) if Darren Gibson or whover has his heart set on playing for you, I'm comfortable with that (subject to the rule change which I keep suggesting, ie that playing for one national side after age 18 ties you to it thereafter)

b) I don't expect the number of players involved to be that high, for reasons previously detailed. Not least that any good schoolboy footballer's priority will probably be to get a professional contract, most likely in England. The best way to do that is to play for NI's repsresentative schools and then youth sides.

Not just lads in the North who decide to play for us, but also those in England with Irish parents and grandparents
    Although personally I prefer NI players to be from the country, rather than descended from local grandparents, the reality is that we (like you) will get far more players from England than we lose to each other.

I have a mate who was born in the North, and I think he made over 50 under-age appearances for the Republic. He was never even contacted by the North, that pretty much sums it up
    I don't think it does- all it sums up is an opportunity lost with one player. Just out of curiosity, who is your mate- 50 youth and U-21 is a hell of a lot, I'm assuming he went to school in NI and played for our representative sides?

Newryrep: I've sent you a PM as per Da Hamsta's posts above.
    Last edited by Gather round; 25/11/2009 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    One United Ireland team.

Play in Dublin for next 2 campaigns (Euros and WC), play in belfast for the following campaign. ie Belfast gets every third campaign. Of course Belfast would have to build a decent stadium.

NI to develop an anthem and flag that is representative of the entire community.
    When team play in dublin AnB played first followed by NI anthem.
    When team play in belfast NI played followed by AnB.
    Both flags flown in both cities.

Problem solved. Team will prob qualify for at least 2 WCs/euros per decade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

I don't think it does- all it sums up is an opportunity lost with one player. Just out of curiosity, who is your mate- 50 youth and U-21 is a hell of a lot, I'm assuming he went to school in NI and played for our representative sides?
    Don't quote me on this but I'm nearly certain his youth caps were for the Republic as I believe he was in England from around 15, I wouldn't be certain before talking to him. He's a lad who could still make it, although 26 years of age he's gone up 3 leagues this summer and was very close to becoming a regular in a championship side up until a week ago!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    One United Ireland team
    You've already got a united Ireland team, albeit with three Englishmen and a Scot included it's pretty much a glorified all-Britain select.

Of course Belfast would have to build a decent stadium
    We're happy to renovate our existing stadium, thanks. Alas it will only ever be a fraction the size of your two with insufficient room for your support- but as we regularly manage to beat higher-ranked teams in it, we're happy enough.

NI to develop an anthem and flag that is representative of the entire community
    Ta. Got any suggestions?

Problem solved. Team will prob qualify for at least 2 WCs/euros per decade
    How can you be so sure that a series of teams who've qualified ONCE for the last eight tournaments between them will improve that record four- or five-fold? It's deluded.

Don't quote me on this but I'm nearly certain his youth caps were for the Republic as I believe he was in England from around 15, I wouldn't be certain before talking to him. He's a lad who could still make it, although 26 years of age he's gone up 3 leagues this summer and was very close to becoming a regular in a championship side up until a week ago!
    Tell you what, you tell us who he is and I'll tell you (from the FAI site and/ or googlepedia) how many youth caps he has.

My point was that 50 youth caps (or even youth and schools) is an impressive number. The highest I can think of off-hand is James Milner's 46 U-21 games in five years for the England side.
    Last edited by Gather round; 25/11/2009 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    One United Ireland team.

Play in Dublin for next 2 campaigns (Euros and WC), play in belfast for the following campaign. ie Belfast gets every third campaign. Of course Belfast would have to build a decent stadium.

NI to develop an anthem and flag that is representative of the entire community.
    When team play in dublin AnB played first followed by NI anthem.
    When team play in belfast NI played followed by AnB.
    Both flags flown in both cities.

Problem solved. Team will prob qualify for at least 2 WCs/euros per decade.
    Has you read anything the Northern guys have been saying? It would hardly be "problem solved"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Tell Saul Deeney we were asking for him!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    [QUOTE=Gather round;1282561]You've already got a united Ireland team, albeit with three Englishmen and a Scot included it's pretty much a glorified all-Britain select.

Don't confuse 2nd generation Irish with their country of birth

We're happy to renovate our existing stadium, thanks. Alas it will only ever be a fraction the size of your two with insufficient room for your support- but as we regularly manage to beat higher-ranked teams in it, we're happy enough.

Sad

Ta. Got any suggestions?

No, anything that the entire community can identify with. Dont see it happen. Unionist attitude is our way or no way.

How can you be so sure that a series of teams who've qualified ONCE for the last eight tournaments between them will improve that record four- or five-fold? It's deluded.

Think about it. Everytime Ireland dont qualify they come really close. I mean if say we had evans instead of mc shane that alone could of made all the difference. Its called synergy 2+2=5 so to speak

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Don't confuse 2nd generation Irish with their country of birth
    I haven't. All four I mentioned have grown up and spent their entire lives in Britain, have they not? As oft-repeated, I've no problem with them playing for the Republic, or anyone else they qualify for- but the point is you will presumably be able to continue playing them, and others like them, for the foreseeable future. You don't need Biggles McCartney to come on as a sub for Kilbane

Sad
    Great comeback. And obviously wrong anyway. In the last two sets of qualifiers our results in our little stadium have been clearly better than yours. Size ain't everything.

Unionist attitude is our way or no way
    Not so, I don't see any unionists saying 'let's abolish the South's football team'.

Everytime Ireland dont qualify they come really close
    Are you on drugs? You failed to qualify for Euro 2008 by 10 points!

I mean if say we had evans instead of mc shane that alone could of made all the difference
    Much as I admire Evans for both club and country, I suspect not. In our away game in Slovenia, he was at fault for both their goals in the last ten minutes, and still had time for a crude foul on their playmaker which might well have seen a red card. At home to Slovakia, he was run ragged by a man City reserve player who set up their first goal, having been one of the five senior players who broke curfew and went on the **** in Belfast before that game.

I mean, he's a good and potentially outstanding footballer. Just one. Not Cu Chulainn or Finn McCool

Its called synergy 2+2=5 so to speak
    We've already established you can't manage basic arithmetic. I'd master that before waffling about synergies.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    [QUOTE=kingdomkerry;1282577]
    Think about it. Everytime Ireland dont qualify they come really close. I mean if say we had evans instead of mc shane that alone could of made all the difference. Its called synergy 2+2=5 so to speak
    Evans is very proud to play for Northern Ireland, as will his kid brother be in the years to come.

Not surprisingly, that's because they're from Northern Ireland.

If Northern Ireland qualify for a major finals in the future - happy days.

If we don't - ah well.

Anyone from Northern Ireland who wants to take their chances of qualifying with the Republic Of Ireland - go right ahead.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    You've already got a united Ireland team, albeit with three Englishmen and a Scot included it's pretty much a glorified all-Britain select.
    Uncalled for. They are Irish and have the passport to prove it (assuming they are not another Tony Cascarino).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    If it works for other sports why can't it work for football?

( well riddickcule, don't you know footballs the hooligans game??)

Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast