Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: LoI Fixture 6-7 April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    And to add, this whole 'he's the one started it' is agony to read, real pathetic stuff. No matter what anybody else did, anybody involved is responsible for their own actions in it.
    Bang on. Despite what dalk and waterford fans say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Lol at Dundalk fans who can't let it go and still say Caulfield started. Hehe. The whole affair has been worth it for the online meltdowns alone. Hehe.
    You're a hoot, you boys couldn't get to your keyboards fast enough anytime Kenny opened his mouth last season.

Don't flatter yourselves down there, the only thing that matters to us is the league table. Exposing the blinkered views of langers is just a bonus

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    "It's their cup final and we need to be ready for it"
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...-dublin-derby/

He has obviously gone back to the beginning of his book of quotes. Do Rovers have someone who can give him some media training?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    "It's their cup final and we need to be ready for itihttps://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...-dublin-derby/

He has obviously gone back to the beginning of his book of quotes. Do Rovers have someone who can give him some media training?
    Media training? Bradley needs potty training.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Thanks for that guys, I did laugh god where would be without Shamrock Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Most would expect Rovers to get 9 points from those 3 games - at home to Bohs and Limerick with an away trip to Bray in between.

It's the next four league games that are more likely to be the sticky ones
    Derry City (A)
    Cork City (H)
    St Pats (A)
    Waterford (H)

If these results go astray Rovers could easily sit in 5th or 6th place by the middle of May
    It looks like I was way off - Rovers down to 5th after only the first of those games and based on what I saw from Bray tonight they are facing a stiff challenge by the seaside on Monday night.

Is it possible that Bradser can survive another defeat?

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Just wondering on Aaron Barry, was he dropped last night Cork fans, and if so is this just a recent dip in form or has he not started as well as say McNamee ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Just wondering on Aaron Barry, was he dropped last night Cork fans, and if so is this just a recent dip in form or has he not started as well as say McNamee ?
    Dropped. He's been poor since the start. Caulfield stuck with him in the hopes he'd settle into it I'd say but he looks like he's gonna cost us every game.

Have to say it's great to see two young Cork lads as the centre half partnership. 2 lads that came up through the Youths, 22 and 19, keeping an experienced LOI centre half in Barry and a starting irish u21 International like Kane out of the team. Very positive endorsement of the lads and the youth in Cork. McLoughlin in particular looks top class.

That said, we could definitely do with more experience in there and it would be a lot to ask of them in big games. Shame Barry has been poor.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Surprised to hear this and must be very disappointing for Barry as he is a fine player. He's a type of centre half I usually like, comfortable on the ball, but this is a key position and if you're not performing?

How long is Bennett out for, or is he in a similar position like Gartland at Dundalk, coming back from injury but finding it hard to get back in?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Surprised to hear this and must be very disappointing for Barry as he is a fine player. He's a type of centre half I usually like, comfortable on the ball, but this is a key position and if you're not performing?

How long is Bennett out for, or is he in a similar position like Gartland at Dundalk, coming back from injury but finding it hard to get back in?
    Sounds like Benno recovered from the injury, but started to feel it again in training. Reality is, he's not going to play regularly and we have to look to find a consistent pair that can perform. He's 36 now, and while he has the quality, hes going to get injured.

I think if Benno had been fit, and Barry had a few months with Benno next to him, he'd be in a different position. But he was lumped in as the experienced head with young lads next to him, and he just seemed to crumble a bit under it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I'm not surprised to see McCarthy and McLoughlin playing so much for Cork City this season. Dunleavy and Bennett are crocked. Their defensive signings in the off-season were underwhelming IMO. Colm Horgan is nowhere near good enough for a team with Cork City's ambitions, at times he stood out as being poor in a team commonly fighting relegation. Tobi Rowling had a good first season at Sligo but his second was a disaster on all fronts and Aaron Barry is an above average centre-back in the Premier Division, he's 25/26 now, I don't see him improving a whole lot honestly.

I suppose you could level similar-ish criticism at Dundalk signing Stephen Folan, but to me he's more established and has more quality than both Rowling and Horgan (certainly Horgan anyway). Dundalk have also signed Daniel Cleary, who looks absolutely quality and they have Hoare and Gartland coming back from injury.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Horgan and Tobi aren't centre halves though.

In terms of centre halves, we had Benno who was going to miss games, McCarthy and McLoughlin. We brought in Barry (as you said above average and experienced) and Danny Kane, and Irish u21. For me, those were reasonable signings and cover. Obviously, it hasn't worked quite as well as you'd hope. Kane isn't getting a look in despite starting for the u21s, so must not be showing enough in training yet. Barry has been disappointing and Benno out injured. McLoughlin has been fantastic, and showing he was an excellent signing last summer. Mccarthy has been fairly solid when he's started centre half, but inexperienced.

We've given away stupid goals, and we haven't had a settled back 4 at any point but we've still the second best defensive record so can't complain too much really. Just need to get a settled pair in there for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post

I suppose you could level similar-ish criticism at Dundalk signing Stephen Folan, but to me he's more established and has more quality than both Rowling and Horgan (certainly Horgan anyway). Dundalk have also signed Daniel Cleary, who looks absolutely quality and they have Hoare and Gartland coming back from injury.
    Daniel Cleary came in for his debut in the 2nd league match of the season, against Shamrock Rovers, and has held his place since. I can't see anyone displacing him.

Stephen Folan has played more games than either Brian Gartland or Sean Hoare combined in a defence that has conceded only 1 goal in 10 league matches. Although injuries to the latter two have hindered their availability - Sean Hoare should reclaim his place once fit - Stephen Folan has played very well, with the possible exception of last week against Shamrock Rovers.

Stephen Folan has been an excellent signing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Horgan and Tobi aren't centre halves though.

In terms of centre halves, we had Benno who was going to miss games, McCarthy and McLoughlin. We brought in Barry (as you said above average and experienced) and Danny Kane, and Irish u21. For me, those were reasonable signings and cover. Obviously, it hasn't worked quite as well as you'd hope. Kane isn't getting a look in despite starting for the u21s, so must not be showing enough in training yet. Barry has been disappointing and Benno out injured. McLoughlin has been fantastic, and showing he was an excellent signing last summer. Mccarthy has been fairly solid when he's started centre half, but inexperienced.

We've given away stupid goals, and we haven't had a settled back 4 at any point but we've still the second best defensive record so can't complain too much really. Just need to get a settled pair in there for now.
    Considering that Cork have been forced into a completely new back 4 compared to the early part of last season, it is remarkable that the defensive record is so good - perhaps it is down to the midfield protection from McCormack and Morrissey?

Shane Griffin and Aaron Barry coming in for O'Connor and Delaney seemed a reasonable solution, but Bennett having fitness problems along with Caulfields apparent reluctance to select Steven Beattie at right back have hardly helped with getting a settled defense.

The situation with Danny Kane is strange as is the signing of a squad of rights backs and then regularly playing a centre half out of position there

If Bennett remains injured and Barry out of form, Cork are likely to struggle at centre back. Sean McLaughlin appears to have done well but I doubt that a McLaughlin-McCarthy combination or a McLaughlin-Barry partnership will be good enough against the better sides

Or is McCarthy a player who is improving quickly?

Who is likely to be the "settled pair"?
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 15/04/2018 at 5:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    McCormack and Morrissey have actually been very poor this season we've gotten lucky in some games and as well as that teams in general are lacking quality finishers.

The Beattie situation, he got injured. When he was fit last week, the defence had kept 3 clean sheets, so caulfield understandably wanted to reward that by keeping them playing. But mccarthy isn't a right back.

Danny Kane is a weird one, he's not even making the bench most games. Obviously we don't see him in training and it could be a fitness thing where he's not at the level expected but I genuinely don't know.

As for who the settled pair should be, I genuinely don't know. It's a lot to ask of mccarthy, but he's looked more solid than Barry so will likely hold the spot for now anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    McCormack and Morrissey have actually been very poor this season we've gotten lucky in some games and as well as that teams in general are lacking quality finishers.

The Beattie situation, he got injured. When he was fit last week, the defence had kept 3 clean sheets, so caulfield understandably wanted to reward that by keeping them playing. But mccarthy isn't a right back.

Danny Kane is a weird one, he's not even making the bench most games. Obviously we don't see him in training and it could be a fitness thing where he's not at the level expected but I genuinely don't know.

As for who the settled pair should be, I genuinely don't know. It's a lot to ask of mccarthy, but he's looked more solid than Barry so will likely hold the spot for now anyway
    Unless Bennett is fit for the visit of Dundalk on Friday week, I fully expect Pat Hoban will traumatise either a Barry - McLaughlin or a McCarthy - McLaughlin combination

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    I'm not surprised to see McCarthy and McLoughlin playing so much for Cork City this season. Dunleavy and Bennett are crocked. Their defensive signings in the off-season were underwhelming IMO. Colm Horgan is nowhere near good enough for a team with Cork City's ambitions, at times he stood out as being poor in a team commonly fighting relegation. Tobi Rowling had a good first season at Sligo but his second was a disaster on all fronts and Aaron Barry is an above average centre-back in the Premier Division, he's 25/26 now, I don't see him improving a whole lot honestly.

I think Folan has been a decent signing and he was probably unlucky to have been dropped for the 3rd game v Cork at the expense of Hoare, who since got injured but ready to come back now. I'd definitely consider Cleary and Hoare to be Dundalk's first choice pairing at th back if all 4 are fit, could be a long way back for Gartland but we could have 50+ games this season, cover will be needed in all positions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I think Folan has been a decent signing and he was probably unlucky to have been dropped for the 3rd game v Cork at the expense of Hoare, who since got injured but ready to come back now. I'd definitely consider Cleary and Hoare to be Dundalk's first choice pairing at th back if all 4 are fit, could be a long way back for Gartland but we could have 50+ games this season, cover will be needed in all positions.
    The comparison and contrasts between Gartland and Bennett are right there.

Both have been injured this season.

Gartland is now fit but will find it very difficult to get back in ahead of any of the 3 others you mentioned because of how well they are playing currently.

Bennett seems to be struggling for fitness and desperately needed back by Cork because of the weaknesses in the defence, even if the goals against record is fairly respectable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Unless Bennett is fit for the visit of Dundalk on Friday week, I fully expect Pat Hoban will traumatise either a Barry - McLaughlin or a McCarthy - McLaughlin combination
    I'd imagine you're right.

No question Dundalk are the stronger defensively at the moment.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    https://twitter.com/WaterfordFCie/st...527377920?s=19

Waterford appealing the bans for Aborah and Hery

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast