Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Portugal V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 1st Sep 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    In international football ALL that matters is the result. Especially in qualifying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    And it was so different under, McCarthy, O'Neil, Trapattoni etc?
    Yeah, they actually qualified for tournaments and never went 14 games, 1 win. Massively different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    If Connolly could pass, cross or shoot he'd be some player.

Seriously though - I do wonder what he would be like if he got some proper minutes under his belt - he seems like a player with a massive upside. I think saying he was outclassed is not accurate - more like he beats himself. A bit of composure and he surely would have scored. I'd love to see him play again Sat and Tuesday. He needs minutes more than any other player.
    Agreed. He was frustrating from an Irish point of view but I thought a real nuisance from a Portugal one, constantly putting them on the back foot but his decision making certainly needs to improve. "Outclassed" a ridiculous summation anyway in my opinion.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Lucky Ronaldo scored in the 6th of the minimum of 5 additional minutes otherwise the ref would still be playing injury time now
    Fixed that there for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    You’re subconsciously saying that Hendrick was marking him well, which Coleman didn’t. Which is of course nonsense. What you’ve done is highlight the freedom of movement that we all know Ronaldo has licendce to do, and what his “heatmap” would look like would make for interesting viewing. What is does illustrate is that it is almost impossible to retain shape and man mark the man. Hendrick of course wasn’t man marking him and keeping him quiet, he was occupying space really well in tandem with Cullen, afforded by the block of 5 behind, and the lack of space between the two ‘blocks’, if you will. Ronaldo gets stood up by Hendrick, he lays off, pushes on and Hendrick can simply let him move inside to be a defenders problem, and continue to occupy space for whichever Portugeezer becomes the creator.
    whoscored do heatmaps for internationals - https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/15...rtugal-Ireland

Select "Heatmaps" from the match centre about a third of the way down the page. By default all players are selected, which I find annoying, so click "select all" in both teams to clear it and then select the player you want to see. Ronaldo was all across the middle of the pitch in our half, with slightly more time spent coming in from their left hand side.

I found Hendrick and Cullen's maps to be interesting, both players seem to have covered the whole pitch

(snipped out the less relevant text from the quote - no offence intended)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think you could write a full dissertation picking holes in individuals’ performances and in the team’s collective failings. We could have been 2 down after 25 mins and God knows what might have happened after that. Bazunu made a couple of nearly costly errors, Connolly fluffed some chances and seemed more intent in buying penalties than actually trying to score, and we failed to hold out from being 1-0 up with only minutes left, making avoidable mistakes. Nobody is blind to this, but it’s football: a classy team of cocksure thoroughbreds up against a team of mainly lower league players or players barely out of nappies in terms of this standard of football, a team totally out of luck and form and expected by most to take a hiding. Of course the better team will have more of the ball and the better chances.

But in the context of what we, or I at least, expected and wanted I thought it was something to behold to be honest. We barely touched the ball in the opening minutes and I feared we were facing an embarrassing defeat. But even before we gifted them the penalty Doherty started to lead by example, showing no fear and no mean ability breaking down the line and drawing fouls. On the other side Coleman put in a masterful shift. We were feeding our front two with increasing ease and they were turning their markers and starting to cause real trouble. We grew into the game by showing courage on the ball – something we’ve been crying out for for literally decades now, and we looked like a normal 21st century football team. O’Shea and Omobamidele looked born to play this level of football, the latter in particular was coolness personified. What a prospect. Cullen was magnificent I thought, a proper midfielder doing what proper midfielders do. McGrath looked confident. Idah showed some real quality and presence. Despite the hairy moments Bazunu delivered at the key times and I think you can tell that there’s great chemistry between him and the senior defenders.

The big takeaway for me from last night was huge satisfaction in seeing a team of mainly homegrown footballers - at least half of whom have only barely started their senior careers - being courageous and technically accomplished on the ball, organised without the ball and a side with pace. It’s what I’ve been wanting from an Irish team for years, and I think Kenny deserves credit.

The late goals hurt but nothing like Paris or Israel or Macedonia or any of them. I had already been realistic enough to think qualifying was a very remote prospect so no expectations were dashed unlike in previous late concessions. Of course the positives will fade away very quickly if we don’t follow up in the next two games.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Considering what he had to do, Hendrick's tackle was inch perfect, the tv replay showed that but VAR bizarrely just showed a 2 second long poor replay angle on a loop. The barge on Connolly was a valid penalty claim, he was hit before he got his foot to the ball and it's irrelevant that Connolly should have struck the ball a fraction earlier.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    You'd suck the joy out of an orgasm. Yeah some of the ratings were a bit generous and some flaws were overlooked but if you and your ilk want to look at this through your glass-half-empty lenses then I feel sorry for you, really I do.
    Kenny's 14 games in, with one win against Andorra. I feel sorry for people like you who see Kenny as progress!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    exactly was a penalty, yesterday was a scandal fai must intervene

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    whoscored do heatmaps for internationals - https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/15...rtugal-Ireland

Select "Heatmaps" from the match centre about a third of the way down the page. By default all players are selected, which I find annoying, so click "select all" in both teams to clear it and then select the player you want to see. Ronaldo was all across the middle of the pitch in our half, with slightly more time spent coming in from their left hand side.

I found Hendrick and Cullen's maps to be interesting, both players seem to have covered the whole pitch

(snipped out the less relevant text from the quote - no offence intended)
    Ah Tets, brilliant, thank you for that link. That site is exceptional. No offence taken.
    your analysis spot on. almost like the Ronaldo that played with Madrid in terms of movement.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Ok no problem.
    I love defending, more than any part of the game. I know how to defend. The reason you defend the 6yd line is because anything central inside that (in most cases but not in some specific examples) is your keeper has that area.
    The longer you camp inside that penalty box as two blocks - first line and second line) the more you become a sitting duck, especially against teams of higher calibre in comparison to our squad current level. If you’re defending in those two lines, you’ve got to move as a unit/line, and you are extremely susceptible to diagonals or arcs between the two lines, which is exactly where their two goals came from.

You’ve actually made a very good point regarding Hendrick, but the context you’re attributing to it, and the comparison with Coleman is simply baffling, for a couple of reasons.
    You’re subconsciously saying that Hendrick was marking him well, which Coleman didn’t. Which is of course nonsense. What you’ve done is highlight the freedom of movement that we all know Ronaldo has licence to do, and what his “heatmap” would look like would make for interesting viewing. What is does illustrate is that it is almost impossible to retain shape and man mark the man. Hendrick of course wasn’t man marking him and keeping him quiet, he was occupying space really well in tandem with Cullen, afforded by the block of 5 behind, and the lack of space between the two ‘blocks’, if you will. Ronaldo gets stood up by Hendrick, he lays off, pushes on and Hendrick can simply let him move inside to be a defenders problem, and continue to occupy space for whichever Portugeezer becomes the creator.

there is a post on this thread that sort of alludes to Coleman stopping Ronaldos runs (plural), and I’m going to the Liberty of understanding that he is somehow mixed up in the first goal - which of course he isn’t.
    The first goal is a single movement or phase that is staggered, and it’s primarily Shane Duffy who loses Ronaldo: Duffy follows the movement of the winger while a Ronaldo applies the breaks and is in the space between the two lines. Duffy loses the man and compounds Mcacleans error.
    The second goal is pox hard to defend against because of where the first movement breaks down from, and the reversed direction of the second movement - this is accentuated at the moment by the offside rules as they aren’t! If anything, young Andy is as much to blame as Seamus, as he’s caught under the cross and his reaction to the goal I think underlines this.
    Again, should Seamus have jumped with Ronaldo? Yes. Does it look bad ? Yes. But I’m not going to hammer him for a moment of exhaustion, having been pulled from pillar to post for the previous 25/35 minutes.I’d much prefer to laud the exceptional movement of an exceptional forward. My first reaction is the cross shouldn’t be coming in in the first place.

The way our defenders like to defend, backs to the wall, in blocks, doesn’t afford a defender the scope to move significantly with an attacker like Ronaldo, and is exhausting, as the discipline must be almost total as you hold your place in the block, which opposition can interchange and move as they please/see fit. Ronaldos heatmap from last night would show exactly the difficulties in this regard.

Once they scored one with significant time left, they were scoring a second.
    It was the same after Wales' Nations League winner against us. We were dissecting who could have prevented the header across goal. Was it the CB's fault or Doherty, or was it the full back for failing to get the cross in or was it a midfielder for failing to stop the initial ball? That Egan eluded his marker for his goal didn't diminish it. Goals happen. Ronaldo just did what world class forwards do - he found space at precisely the right time. For me the real obvious mistake was a tired Hendrick making a tired clearance straight back to the Portuguese guy instead of finding touch. But most of the time he'd get away with it.

All goals are preventable in hindsight. I think we go OTT analysing the goals we concede sometimes. I'm not singling you out, you're only getting sucked into this conversation.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Kenny's 14 games in, with one win against Andorra. I feel sorry for people like you who see Kenny as progress!!
    I appreciate your sympathy. The Hungary and Portugal performances show progress imho. We certainly showed nothing like them in O'Neill's last year in charge.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    It was the same after Wales' Nations League winner against us. We were dissecting who could have prevented the header across goal. was it the CB, or was it the full back for failing to get the cross in or was it a midfielder for failing to stop the initial ball. That Egan eluded his marker for his goal didn't diminish it. Ronaldo did what world class forwards do - he found space at precisely the right time. For me the worst mistake was a tired Hendrick making a tired clearance straight back to the Portuguese guy instead of finding touch.
    100%, and to save space, agree with your previous post too. There's a time and a place for cold analysis - there's still loads that we need to improve on. Now's not that time to do that. As you say, optimism is increased, and maybe our nadir was actually falling behind against Andorra :-)

All goals are preventable in hindsight. I think we go OTT analysing the goals we concede sometimes. I'm not singling you out, you're only getting sucked into this conversation.
    Not a problem, I hold my hands up though, it probably is a pain to read. I'm literally the personification of the meme of "somebody said something wrong on the internet"!

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    You'd suck the joy out of an orgasm. Yeah some of the ratings were a bit generous and some flaws were overlooked but if you and your ilk want to look at this through your glass-half-empty lenses then I feel sorry for you, really I do.
    I guess thats probably aimed at me too Why cant we temper the positive analysis, its actually refreshing that no ones got too carried away either way here. At the end of the day its another moral defeat, but its key the team move on from this and don't talk like Kenny has in the past about great past performances. We're still 0 points at the bottom of the table after 3 games, its the worst start I can remember in a campaign in all my time of watching. Portugal have been inconsistent in qualifying and an indifferent Euros, drawing with Serbia, going behind to both us and Luxenbourg. We had 27%/28 possession according to Google/ESPN. Portugal had 29 shots and around 2.5 times the amount of passes we had. We were completely dominated yet the only time we looked their equals was when we did attack, but chose to abandon that in the second half - i am aware fatigue played a part here.

There were some great individual performances, but if they aren't seen again on Saturday and Tuesday and wins then last night was futile(I mean the individual herculean performances).
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I'm not too inclined to look for defenders to blame for an overworked defence finally conceding two free headers to one of the best players and one of the very best headers of a ball I've ever seen. Tbh, we were fortunate that Portugal wasted some chances before that, one in particular that was blazed over from right in front of goal.

There are a lot of positives to take from it - the key thing now is to actually get that through to the players who must be utterly dejected. If we can have individual players playing so well against Portugal, there's no reason they can't do it against Azerbaijan. But there's also no reason they couldn't have done it against Luxembourg and other teams without Portugal's quality, yet they didn't.

Last night showed that when you get the very most out of this squad, there is indeed something substantial there to work with. Now the challenge is to consistently get that out of them.
    Last edited by osarusan; 02/09/2021 at 9:48 AM.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    You'll get no argument from me. The officials were awful, truly awful. Take for instance the O'Shea / Ronaldo incident before the penalty - O'Shea, according to the rules deserved a yellow for kicking the ball away, but Ronaldo should have been given red for striking the Irish player. They are the rules as written by FIFA but the referee and both of his assistants were all simultaneously looking the other way, as they were for most of the evening. That was just one of a few questionable incidents on the night.
    Ronaldo pushed O'Shea's shoulder. O'Shea clutched his head and looked as though he was about to fall to the ground. If an opposition player did that, we'd be outraged at the cheating and gamesmanship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    there's another angle of Ronaldo's second here. He's constantly moving around Coleman, who's trying to watch him and the ball at the same time, until he makes enough space for himself for the run and jump.
    At a certain point, there's nothing you can do about ability and intelligence like that
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    there's another angle of Ronaldo's second here. He's constantly moving around Coleman, who's trying to watch him and the ball at the same time, until he makes enough space for himself for the run and jump.
    At a certain point, there's nothing you can do about ability and intelligence like that
    No offence to anyone, but I rest my case. That's outstanding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Portugal had 29 shots
    of which 7 were actually on target...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Ronaldo pushed O'Shea's shoulder. O'Shea clutched his head and looked as though he was about to fall to the ground. If an opposition player did that, we'd be outraged at the cheating and gamesmanship.
    yeah I didn't like it either but it happens I suppose. That's the best I can say about it!

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast