Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Televised Games

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Whatever about the quality of the ground, the higher viewing angle at Dalymount and Turner's Cross looks more professional I think. That has to be a consideration for broadcasters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Whatever about the quality of the ground, the higher viewing angle at Dalymount and Turner's Cross looks more professional I think. That has to be a consideration for broadcasters.
    I'm sure it's a consideration to a marginal extent. If it was a choice between a ground with a good or ok viewing angle versus a bad one - one which affected the quality of images - then I would take your point.

But beyond that the broadcasters should be going with other considerations - like the general level of interest in the fixture and how good the fare is likely to be. Instead the over-riding concern seems to be time and again to prioritise games in or near to Dublin, only venturing out into the provinces occasionally. The stats for which games get broadcast would tend to back that view up IMO.

If you compare to S4C, who genuinely do try to broadcast games from a variety of grounds around Wales (when the temptation would probably be to just show TNS or Bangor a lot). Though as there is only one (badly supported) club in Cardiff, they don't have much choice than to hit the road anyway
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 18/04/2018 at 4:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Since 2016 there have been 51 Premier Division games on TV (including Bohs - City and City - Dundalk over the next couple of weeks).
    31 of those were on RTÉ and the remaining 20 on Eir/Setanta.
    Of those 51 games just 15 did not involve either Cork City or Dundalk. 7 of those 12 were derbies. 5 Shamrock Rovers/Bohemians games, One Derry/Harps game, one Rovers/Pats game.

I think its fair to say that they are mostly looking for games involving Cork City or Dundalk as those are the top two teams in the league over the past 4 years.
    But you asked about how often they travel out of Dublin.

Only 19 of the 51 games (37.25%) were at Dublin Grounds. 11 (21.6%) were in Cork. 10 (19.6%) were in Dundalk. The remainder were in Galway (3), Derry (2), Donegal (2), Sligo (1), Waterford (1), Drogheda (1) and Limerick (1).

Dublin is probably over represented but not massively so as they are typically 3-4 Dublin based teams in the league at any time. I think its fair to say that roughly 30% of the clubs have been Dblin based so 37% is high, but considering that the Dublin Derby (Bohs/Rovers) is almost always on TV its not that far out of the ordinary. Take the Bohs/Rovers games out and then its 15/46 Dublin games which is 32.6%.

They could easily just put Rovers, Bohs or Pats on tv against whichever decent side are in town that week. I am surprised at how little the Brandywell has been on TV in this period.

If I were in charge then Drogheda, Dundalk, Bray, Finn Harps etc would never be on tv. I'd only show games from the better looking grounds.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Since 2016 there have been 51 Premier Division games on TV (including Bohs - City and City - Dundalk over the next couple of weeks).
    31 of those were on RTÉ and the remaining 20 on Eir/Setanta.
    Of those 51 games just 15 did not involve either Cork City or Dundalk. 7 of those 12 were derbies. 5 Shamrock Rovers/Bohemians games, One Derry/Harps game, one Rovers/Pats game.

I think its fair to say that they are mostly looking for games involving Cork City or Dundalk as those are the top two teams in the league over the past 4 years.
    But you asked about how often they travel out of Dublin.

Only 19 of the 51 games (37.25%) were at Dublin Grounds. 11 (21.6%) were in Cork. 10 (19.6%) were in Dundalk. The remainder were in Galway (3), Derry (2), Donegal (2), Sligo (1), Waterford (1), Drogheda (1) and Limerick (1).

Dublin is probably over represented but not massively so as they are typically 3-4 Dublin based teams in the league at any time. I think its fair to say that roughly 30% of the clubs have been Dblin based so 37% is high, but considering that the Dublin Derby (Bohs/Rovers) is almost always on TV its not that far out of the ordinary. Take the Bohs/Rovers games out and then its 15/46 Dublin games which is 32.6%.

They could easily just put Rovers, Bohs or Pats on tv against whichever decent side are in town that week. I am surprised at how little the Brandywell has been on TV in this period.

If I were in charge then Drogheda, Dundalk, Bray, Finn Harps etc would never be on tv. I'd only show games from the better looking grounds.
    Good analysis El pietro.

I think the one fly in the ointment for it is that no Dublin clubs have genuinely been title challengers in the period covered. Yet they've been over-represented in the games covered. You'd expect Cork and Dundalk to have had good coverage, as they've both dominated the game here across that period. If anything - the number of games in Dundalk feels light.

So Dublin feels slightly over-represented at a first glance, but is even more so when you consider no clubs form there have been genuine challengers across that period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Good analysis El pietro.

I think the one fly in the ointment for it is that no Dublin clubs have genuinely been title challengers in the period covered. Yet they've been over-represented in the games covered. You'd expect Cork and Dundalk to have had good coverage, as they've both dominated the game here across that period. If anything - the number of games in Dundalk feels light.

So Dublin feels slightly over-represented at a first glance, but is even more so when you consider no clubs form there have been genuine challengers across that period.
    So basically you have a point of view and when presented with evidence to counter that you are going to reframe it the evidence to suit you.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    So basically you have a point of view and when presented with evidence to counter that you are going to reframe it the evidence to suit you.
    Eh ??

You yourself said that your analysis shows that Dublin clubs are slightly over-represented. That was done by treating all clubs as if they would attract equal exposure. But the reality is that in sport clubs don't generally receive equal coverage - the one's doing better generally secure more live games. And none of the Dublin clubs were challenging for the league across the period of your study.

Does your list of live games cover cup fixtures too, or just league ?
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 18/04/2018 at 8:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    The less Oriel park gets shown on tv, the better.
    Yep it looks awful, looks even worse when the camera is focused on the antics of brain donor's in the away end.

As much as it annoys you, we play the best football in the league and will be there or there about in October hence why our games are chosen.

Now if we all played in the ground that best reflected the ability of our team we would have swapped grounds with Rovers a long time ago. Sure haven't we already provided the best nights Tallaght Stadium has ever seen?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Good analysis El pietro.

RTE literally showed 48 Cork City games in a row last season. That might not be an exact number.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Yep it looks awful, looks even worse when the camera is focused on the antics of brain donor's in the away end.

As much as it annoys you, we play the best football in the league and will be there or there about in October hence why our games are chosen.

Now if we all played in the ground that best reflected the ability of our team we would have swapped grounds with Rovers a long time ago. Sure haven't we already provided the best nights Tallaght Stadium has ever seen?
    I take it you're talking about the dundalk fans that attacked cork fans with pint glasses and bottles?

Oriel Park just isn't a good stadium to have on TV, not the only one in the league either, dos'nt look good and when the ball is over beside the shed the camera is looking directly down which isn't good viewing. Sorry for any offence caused.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    RTE literally showed 48 Cork City games in a row last season. That might not be an exact number.
    Yeah, but they really didn't want to. We just drew it out for the exposure and sell out crowds...... Honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    I take it you're talking about the dundalk fans that attacked cork fans with pint glasses and bottles?

Oriel Park just isn't a good stadium to have on TV, not the only one in the league either, dos'nt look good and when the ball is over beside the shed the camera is looking directly down which isn't good viewing. Sorry for any offence caused.
    No that was after the game and all were banned, how many knuckle draggers have Rovers banned recently? The 3 caught on camera trying to get into the away section last Friday are banned I presume?

No offence at all, we know more than anyone how awful it is. Your post was just repetitive rubbish really, not constructive at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Wait till the Richmond Arena is up and running - TV won't want to be anywhere else. ��

( Tongue in cheek lads, before the inevitable smart replies ��)
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Yeah, but they really didn't want to. We just drew it out for the exposure and sell out crowds...... Honest.
    Surprised Kenny hasn't nicknamed you the Galacticos yet with all the money you made from that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I recorded the Derry city v Pats game and when I went into the members bar before the game I was surprised why RTE wasn't in one of the media rooms looking on to the pitch from the Mark Farren stand instead of being on the edge of the pitch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    My last post might not have made sense (doing this on my my phone) but the point I'm trying to make is the new Brandywell has amazing media facilities but it would have looked better if THE had of done our live match half time stuff from one of the new media studios in the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I know Eir do all their live work from pitchside but I thought RTE usually always do it in the media zones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    I know Eir do all their live work from pitchside but I thought RTE usually always do it in the media zones.
    I assumed it was to do with facilities available. Pitchside in Oriel,apart from not having a media room overlooking the pitch, i'd presume was a decision by RTE after they were smoked out of the camera gantry where they set up the panel last game of 2014. Eir always did a pitchside setup even at away games in the EL where there would have been top class media facilities at AZ, Zenit, and Netanya. It wouldnt surprise me if they werent fully aware of the new media facilities in the Brandywell but we will know if they move inside at the next game they cover there. I quite like the pitchside setup, its certainly the fashion with a lot UK coverage of sport these days, producers probably just go with a standard format across sports/networks. Bit like the clear perspex panels for player interviews out on the pitch seems to be a bit of a trend after games too.

One thing they shouldnt do is have player interviews post match pitchside within shouting distance of a 'crowd' (i'd say mob only Asterix would get sweaty palms) especially if an opposition player is getting MOTM award. There were plenty of cringing when Setanta started prepping for an interview right in front of the Shed in Oriel and they never did it there again. No amount of apologising would have covered the polite and mannerly language being shouted at the MOTM. I cant remember what game but it was when Foster was manager. After that the pundits were usually at the Carrick Rd end YDC side. RTE positioned in front of the away dugout the 2015 Cork game. It was quite interesting to see how things are done off camera actually!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 19/04/2018 at 7:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    There were plenty of cringing when Setanta started prepping for an interview right in front of the Shed in Oriel and they never did it there again. No amount of apologising would have covered the polite and mannerly language being shouted at the MOTM. I cant remember what game but it was when Foster was manager.
    I think this was v Bohs and when Fenlon was their manager, in maybe 2011 not sure it was MOTM maybe it was also, but they definitely interviewed him in front of the shed.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Cork games would look better if they were shown from the other side of the pitch. Much bigger stand on view rather than that unimpressive small one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Cork games would look better if they were shown from the other side of the pitch. Much bigger stand on view rather than that unimpressive small one.
    Agreed but its not possible to put a camera on the Derrynane at present. Even if we could the angle would be too narrow and you probably couldn't see the corner flags on that side.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast