Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ireland V Bosnia-Herzegovina - Monday, 16th November 2015 Euro 2016 Play Off 2nd Leg

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I dunno, I think Strachan was a bit unlucky. I think they played quite well in the campaign overall, only their Georgia performances disappointing. Sure, we were more pragmatic and they were more open and attacking, and arguably more cohesive, but ultimately it was a close thing between us and them. In a results business the end-assessment often becomes extreme in both directions.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Saw an article recently on BBC's website that Strachan should have focussed more on getting results, instead of developing players. Can't find it now. If I do, I'll post it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Georgia were an underestimated entity, on their day they could put it up to the best teams, even to Germany when they had to win that last game.
    It was no shock that they would take precious points off Scotland and as it turned out, who were poorly prepared for that crucial game.
    Our performance of despair was in Scotland where we were looked disjointed and a primitive hoofball team.

Nevertheless I felt our home game against them marked a sea change in the team, the formation that day, the approach of the players, the first time there was an evident connection between O'Neill and the team on the pitch. There was a fresh energy about.
    Post Celtic Pk, we got stronger as the group progressed and Scotland had not got the wherewithal to take their campaign to the wire.

I see Bosnia and Hertz were in the first seeds for the orig Euro qual draw, 3 from the top seeds didn't make it, Greece, B&H and Netherlands.
    All 2nd seeds made it, except for Denmark.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Football, its definitely more than a game for some of us, I'm still buzzing. Still getting teary eyed reading and seeing some of the things. I don't normally wear my heart on my sleeve but for the football i definitely do. It doesn't galvanise the country like anything else does or can.

@Delorean - they've played in Zenica for ages, it has nothing to do with financial gain or any such thing. They are actually very superstitious about the Olympic stadium.

I haven't done a tap of work, and completely demotivated, which needs to change drastically but I am going to enjoy this for a little while longer.

Ya those ultras, remind me of some of the biker gangs or metal communities, without the violence, its a way of life. Met a few of them, disappointed I didn't get a picture with them. I was out Sunday with a few bozzas, had a great time, they insisted on paying for the taxi, paying for drink, and paying me into COPPers, ya coppers :P - which i felt bad about as I am well aware of the average salary, but I did the same out in Bosnia although it sure as hell didn't cost as much. I was really impressed with the place and the people in general, 11541 people died, over 44 months, of which 1061 were children(the tour guide we got thought I had been on wiki when i regurgitated this to him at the end of the tour ), and they are not bitter, have a great resolve and say "its about having a good time, enjoying life and getting on with it, we all live together in harmony". I heard that from all different backgrounds. We had a great time with a load of croats too, who said the Bosnians are known to be the friendliest out of all of them and don't have half as much trouble with their fans as say croatia from split particularly. I've been to all save Serbia, and I have to say that's exactly my impression, although slovenians are hit and miss, i was never gone on the croatians, but nothing but respect for and enjoyment with every bosnian i met. I have to say personally I perfer going to these places completely ignorant or almost so, i mean i had a fair idea about the ethnicity and the make up of the balkans by territories but that's just about touching the surface, you leave yourself open to learn far more, and also understand the people and sometimes their agenda.

I'm like OwlsFan, I hate watching the matches, i was thinking at half time will i just go to the toilet and sit there till the end - i would never do it but these thoughts are constantly in my head, and everyone messing and having the craic around ye, and all I can think is how you are enjoying yourself. I'm sure for most of them it means just as much, but I don't have their resolve. At least I know Owlsfan hasnt had a heart attack yet after all these years so I don't need to worry on that front hopefully.

I really do feel sorry for people who don't get to experience this in the same way I and others do. And I am not being condescending or smug saying that.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 19/11/2015 at 11:19 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    This is my favourite. I don't think he gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodster
    Don't understand why the euros were expanded and looking at a poor Ireland team in the mix I'm more puzzled than ever. With a nearly 1 in 2 chance of qualification the tournament has been devalued for me. I suppose Bosnia for this one as it would be nice to see Dzeko at a finals.
    http://tartanarmyboard.co.uk/forum/i...=7195&p=239950
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

As for Martin O'Neill, I don't buy into some of the comments about proving people wrong and that sort of talk. I was probably one of his biggest critics after the Scotland away game. What he's gone on to achieve hasn't diluted the balls he made of things that evening in my opinion, but it's brilliant to see he looks like a guy that's got his grove back. Is it just me or has his whole body language changed over the past couple of months? He really seems like a guy living the job now, a guy with an emotional attachment and trust in his players that wasn't always there. He even seems better educated when discussing their club situations, etc. Maybe I'm reading too much into things though, things always appear rosier in victory.
    You're not, that's an excellent summation of my feelings too.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    You're not, that's an excellent summation of my feelings too.
    DeL is spot on.

I'm glad we don't have to rue that night in Glasgow.
    It was a low night.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Bosnia played all their home games this campaign in Zeneca. The play-off wasn't an exception. The last time they actually played in Sarajevo was for a friendly in August of 2013. The last competitive game there was a Euro 2012 qualifier against France in September of 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    @Delorean - they've played in Zenica for ages, it has nothing to do with financial gain or any such thing. They are actually very superstitious about the Olympic stadium.
    I knew they had played Wales in Zenica as well and beyond that I wasn't too concerned. My point was that they play in the smaller stadium as they feel it would be a more hostile environment and would benefit the team, or at least that's what the various commentators had us believe? I didn't know about the superstition thing though.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Hard not to feel sorry for Scotland. For the next 8 months, literally every other country in these islands is going to be awash with anticipation for the finals, whilst they will have a friendly against Macedonia or Latvia to look forward to (where, going by the comments of some of their fans on the aforementioned TA forum, they will be paying £35+ for the privilige).

Joe Jordan's cheating is finally coming back to haunt them
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Hendrick had a brilliant campaign. Really impressed me throughout and deserves to be playing at a higher level than Derby.
    I think he deserves to play at a higher level than the Championship too but Derby could be a club going places. He seems very content there and it could be a far more stable environment than any potential PL move he might get. I know there's no guarantees that they'll get promoted but they now have a chairman who has sole control and loves the club, Mel Morris, who made a significant amount of his fortune through that Candy Crush game. He's actually from Derby himself and seems extremely dedicated to getting them back to the PL and keeping them there. I think that would be the ideal scenario for Hendrick in the short term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Patrick Barclay, a top football writer in my opinion, on our qualification.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foot...-a3116581.html

I don't always agree with him but he has interesting opinions on stuff.

Glenn Moore on Jon Walters, and our qualification in general

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a6738231.html

Good article, but in each of the above I can't help but feel they're saying "Ireland are at it again, relying on [Brits] to qualify" as their main message. Maybe based on previous comments down the years. Maybe I'm a bit too sensitive too.
    I think Glenn's article is fine, just some indisputable facts that are relevant to his piece. Patrick's article is a bit... meh... some of the possible digs seem a bit forced and less necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Good article, but in each of the above I can't help but feel they're saying "Ireland are at it again, relying on [Brits] to qualify" as their main message. Maybe based on previous comments down the years. Maybe I'm a bit too sensitive too.
    I think Glenn's article is fine, just some (almost) indisputable assumptions that are relevant to his piece. Patrick's article is a bit... meh... some of the possible digs seem a bit forced and less necessary.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I knew they had played Wales in Zenica as well and beyond that I wasn't too concerned. My point was that they play in the smaller stadium as they feel it would be a more hostile environment and would benefit the team, or at least that's what the various commentators had us believe? I didn't know about the superstition thing though.
    I knew what you were saying, and i was saying the financial aspect doesn't come into it for them. Yes we heard from a lot they don't like playing in the stadium. The running track and the history behind it they dont really like it and feel it brings bad luck. For me i thought it was more about being as awkward as possible for the away fans and opposing teams. Bused in and out ruining my Friday night drinking
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think Glenn's article is fine, just some indisputable facts that are relevant to his piece. Patrick's article is a bit... meh... some of the possible digs seem a bit forced and less necessary.
    Patrick is woeful I think, every article i read of his no the standard i think is woeful and i never find myself agreeing with anything he says. It always feels like they need to fill a piece last minute and ask him to write a few half thought out paragraphs. He is rehashing a lot of jokes etc that came out about Scotland (not )and Ireland quailifying.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    Hard not to feel sorry for Scotland. For the next 8 months, literally every other country in these islands is going to be awash with anticipation for the finals, whilst they will have a friendly against Macedonia or Latvia to look forward to (where, going by the comments of some of their fans on the aforementioned TA forum, they will be paying £35+ for the privilige).

Joe Jordan's cheating is finally coming back to haunt them
    Time to let it go after all this time……..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think Glenn's article is fine, just some (almost) indisputable assumptions that are relevant to his piece. Patrick's article is a bit... meh... some of the possible digs seem a bit forced and less necessary.
    There was one glaring error in Glenn's otherwise fine article.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What was that Geysir?

A great bunch of lads!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Tricky will like this

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...16-365824.html

Quite interesting actually

28. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What was that Geysir?

A great bunch of lads!
    You'll have to read it yourself, but any veteran Irish fan should spot it easily.

30. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You'll have to read it yourself, but any veteran Irish fan should spot it easily.
    Lawrenson missed Euro 88... it was actually slightly before my time tbh.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 20/11/2015 at 3:22 PM.

32. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast