Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Colombia - Thursday, 29th May 2008 - Friendly - Craven Cottage

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I didn't see the game properly - very busy last night - and will watch later but from what I've seen so far I'm very happy with the display. The Colombians overran us for a lot of the game and the scoreline very much flattered us but we were missing all of our first choice central midfielders. Once the Reids and Carsley come back we'll see a lot more of the ball and dominate games more. We were extremely well organised and consequently defended very well. Like others have said, had that game been under Staunton we would have shipped a fair few goals. It's also good practice for our players as there will undoubtedly be times during the qualifiers when we'll be under immense pressure and judging by that display we'd be able to hold out.

Also, as I said, I haven't properly watched the game but could Whelan's poor performance possibly be down to him doing the work of two players (as another poster said) due to Miller's laziness? I remember the first time I watched the Slovakia draw I thought Carsley was brutal but after rewatching it I realised he was having to cover for Ireland a lot.

Finally, it was our first win in almost a year! The good times could be coming back...
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Obviously the biggest positive is a clean sheet against quality opposition outside of Dublin so that'll do the confidence of the defenders no harm at all.

I thought Doyle played really well. I think you can guarantee Fulham will put an offer in for him after last nights performance. Keane had a decent game. Keogh and McGeady weren't bad overall. The problem again was central midfield and that should be rectified with Reid, Reid and Carsley to come in. Andy and Steven Reid in central midfield would have made such a difference last night.

I just don't understand how Irish and British footballers are so brainless when it comes to positioning. I remember McGeady had the ball on the left and he stood there for 2 or 3 seconds waiting for someone to offer themselves. Nobody did and he passed it to the opposition. How do our players find it so hard to move into a good position to receive a pass? Thank god for the 2 Reid's.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 30/05/2008 at 1:12 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It was indeed a great night out. Lovely little ground is Craven Cottage, definitely should consider playing more games there so long as it isn't pouring down and the tube station isn't shut by a gas leak again. Well done the Colombian fans for packing out their end and generating a bit of atmosphere. But for some poor finishing and excellent Kiely saves, Colombia would have easily won by 3 or 4.

Il Trap is clearly making a difference. D'ya see in the 2nd half when, right in front of him, O'Shea failed to control a ball and it ran out of play. Instead of harranging John, Trap was encouraging him and geeing him on and O'shea's performance picked up as the game went on. Wouldn't have happened under Staunton or Kerr. Roll on Oslo.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Actually another thing which I noticed was that the atmosphere was far superior to the Unity cup games in London. Although there's probably a few reasons for that with the stadium being more central and the dawn of a new era. Anyway, well done to those that made it over.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I thought Doyle played really well. I think you can guarantee Fulham will put an offer in for him after last nights performance. Keane had a decent game.
    Maybe you saw something that I didn't because I thought he had absolutely no confidence although he did work hard.

The 2 main points about last night:

Miller has been given his chance and shouldn't be near the team for the qualifiers.

And Doyle should not be anywhere near an automatic starter in September, imo he's been poor for the best part of 6 months now.

Can't wait until the two Reids finally play together in the centre of the park supported by McGeady and Duff either side come September, touch wood there's no injuries.

The game last night was good but in reality only 5 or 6 of them players will start in September. Il Trap!
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newrynyuk View Post
    Il Trap is clearly making a difference. D'ya see in the 2nd half when, right in front of him, O'Shea failed to control a ball and it ran out of play. Instead of harranging John, Trap was encouraging him and geeing him on and O'shea's performance picked up as the game went on.
    Just out of interest, was the dugout on the teams right side or left side in the first half? I felt O'Shea and Keogh had much more of the ball in the first half while McGeady and Delaney really came into the game in the 2nd half. O'Shea and Keogh were pretty anonymous in the 2nd half. Either they all played better beside the dugout or the all played better when they were on the other side of the pitch.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    No, missed the goal cos you stayed too long in Brogans

You're obviously not the average punter.

26 mins from pub to ground was about right.
    I can't say either way. I ended up going way too far on the way back so ran back to brogans, but in all that took me 20 mins!! I got lost on the way down.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 30/05/2008 at 3:35 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just out of interest, was the dugout on the teams right side or left side in the first half? I felt O'Shea and Keogh had much more of the ball in the first half while McGeady and Delaney really came into the game in the 2nd half. O'Shea and Keogh were pretty anonymous in the 2nd half. Either they all played better beside the dugout or the all played better when they were on the other side of the pitch.
    rightside from Irelands point of view, so O Shea was beside Trapper first half. I will say one thing, he has some whistle, I could hear it at the back of the stand, no excuse for the players not to here it I would say.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I really don’t think Miller was as bad as some are making out. Granted he did go missing at times but did improve on Saturday’s performance. I don’t think Whelan will make it though and it’s a pity that he did not bring on Hoolahan earlier or give Garvan a run. I was happy enough with Doyle but he needs to have some luck next season so as to get his confidence back. Delighted that Delaney has silenced some of his critics with his two solid performances and with a little more experience he will be even better. He is actually taller than I thought and towers above the rest of the lads. I love Kiely and he is an excellent organiser as well as keeper. Never stopped shouting out instructions and acknowledged the crowds appreciation of him on several occasions.

I liked the atmosphere last night and I hope they play a few more friendllys in London.
    Last edited by FarBeag; 30/05/2008 at 4:53 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I can't say either way. I ended up going way too far on the way back so ran back to brogans, but in all that took me 20 mins!! I got lost on the way down.
    Fulham Broadway was always going to be a decent jog to the pitch, the trains were out of order for a while in the evening as well so that didnt elp, the Columbians were all in place well before kick off and some good looking ladies on view for sure

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I just don't understand how Irish and British footballers are so brainless when it comes to positioning. I remember McGeady had the ball on the left and he stood there for 2 or 3 seconds waiting for someone to offer themselves. Nobody did and he passed it to the opposition. How do our players find it so hard to move into a good position to receive a pass? Thank god for the 2 Reid's.
    Exactly what i was thinking we have been like that for years now, the baltic teams have this down to a T. In fairness a lot of english clubs do play like this.

rock, I saw none unfortunately. That poor fella though he was thinking to himself at half time "i knew i shouldn't have got her a ticket, what the hell did i bring her for!"

There was a huge queue outside before I got there. I was there late enough but the game wasn't starting till 8.10 I arrived at about 7:55, i queued for 15 mins and there was still huge queues outside. Id say some people missed 20 - 25 mins of the first half.

hoops: I left brogans at about 7.35 so I thought I was in time but i got us lost thinking i knew a shortcut

Great night afterwards in brogans though I shouldn't have gone into the west end after that....
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 30/05/2008 at 3:53 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good to have Dean Kiely back, always thought he was a decent 'keeper but unfortunately his time happens to be around the same as Shay's. Hopefully he stays on to fight for the no. 1 shirt.
    Defence was better last night, particularly McShane who's fine if he dosen't have to think too much.
    The less said about the midfield the better, early days for Whealan, but Miller is not international standard.
    Btw did anyone see Trappatoni's gesture at he end when he gave the thumbs up to someone and, if my lip reading is any good, said "bravo", not sure who to, the man's a class act.
    Esse Quam Videri

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Kiely was excellent.

McShane showed (again) that he cannot do a job for us. If Columbia had capitalised on his terrible pass, that would be yet another goal he has cost us. Is there no end to it!

I was surprised at Doyle's lack of pace, he was very very slow. There were a couple of times that he should have broken through, but was well beaten for pace when he had a good headstart. Challenged well in the air.

Keogh failed to impose himself.

Keane played well, but nonetheless managed to attract a little bit of abuse. Truly amazing given the donkeys we had on the field.

Delaney I hope has potential, he made quite a few errors.

McGeady impressed.

The midfield looked very light & would be found wanting against a half decent pairing.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Kiely was excellent.

McShane showed (again) that he cannot do a job for us. If Columbia had capitalised on his terrible pass, that would be yet another goal he has cost us. Is there no end to it!

I was surprised at Doyle's lack of pace, he was very very slow. There were a couple of times that he should have broken through, but was well beaten for pace when he had a good headstart. Challenged well in the air.

Keogh failed to impose himself.

Keane played well, but nonetheless managed to attract a little bit of abuse. Truly amazing given the donkeys we had on the field.

Delaney I hope has potential, he made quite a few errors.

McGeady impressed.

The midfield looked very light & would be found wanting against a half decent pairing.
    McShane was very good last night, credit has to be given where it is due
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    McShane did pretty well in fairness but you always feel a big clanger is just around the corner with him. Not a good trait for a centre half to have.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    We need to be realistic. He was right in front of me when he passed the ball directly to an opponent. Columbia almost scored from this error - they will kick themselves that they failed to. Kiely saved the situation. Also the ball seemed to get stuck under his feet on a couple of occasions.

Against that a brave performance, particularly in the air.

The problem remains there is always at least least one goal in him for the opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agreed that McShane is currently a weak link, but I believe that he has potential and with the guidance of Trap Im confident that he will improve considerably and form a great partnership with Dunne. He will probably have to leave Sunderland and maybe a move to Newcastle under Keegan is just what he needs. Keegan worked wonders with Dunne.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    He will probably have to leave Sunderland and maybe a move to Newcastle under Keegan is just what he needs. Keegan worked wonders with Dunne.
    Keegan didn't really help Dunne with his game more his attitude i.e. taking his training and diet more seriously and not going out on the lash, which in turn resulted in better fitness and improved performances.

I don't think anyone can question McShanes attitude, he just needs to learn how to improve his defending and Keegan is not the man to help him with that. He needs a season or two playing beside a senior CB with good positional sense. Then we will see if he can learn to cut out his mistakes or not.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 31/05/2008 at 10:39 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    did ye notice oherily say mcshane had a good game for a change?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    Keegan didn't really help Dunne with his game more his attitude i.e. taking his training and diet more seriously and not going out on the lash, which in turn resulted in better fitness and improved performances.

I don't think anyone can question McShanes attitude, he just needs to learn how to improve his defending and Keegan is not the man to help him with that. He needs a season or two playing beside a senior CB with good positional sense. Then we will see if he can learn to cut out his mistakes or not.
    point taken about keegan, too much drink thursday, brain still not functiong 100%, but yes does probably need a move.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast