Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Wales - Sunday, 11th October 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    I blame Kenny for other things, we need two more players for Finland at least, what happened to Derrick?
    Seems he was the positive covid-19 case that ruled out a bunch of other players today. Not much Kenny can do about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    If we're going back 23 years or so then fair enough!
    2 out of the last 5 managerial reigns

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I thought we outplayed Wales, Shane Long was really good today, he needs someone else around to play off him as he does for Southampton, i would play him on the right and a tall 9 ahead

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Can we call a few more guys for Finland? Does Uefa abide that?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Can we call a few more guys for Finland? Does Uefa abide that?
    They do if you sing ~ Abide with Me Nicely to Them !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    That was a tough watch.

On the plus side, we continue to look more comfortable on the ball and playing it out from the back, and we look defensively more solid than we did in the first two games under Kenny.

On the other hand, what is it now, 300 minutes or so without a goal? That tells it all - we are not creating enough chances, and do not have the quality needed up front to convert what we do create. Long's miss was poor, and other than that we were mainly limited to weak attempts from far out.

I still believe this is the way forward, but it could all be pointless unless some of our young attacking talent comes good during the current season. We badly need Parrott, Idah and Connolly to get goals and consistent appearances. McClean is not good enough for what is expected of him in this system (he got sent off while attacking!), McGoldrick is great but soon 33, and Long is a similar age and has not scored for us in 4 years.

I think it could be a rough few games ahead but it might just be worth it if our attackers come good.
    This is it, we've put all our eggs in the one basket, a gamble on the fact we require 2 or 3 players to fit this system, and also that one of those is a proper finisher. We've abandoned set pieces, where we could score from, for creating chances that we can't finish from. ITs all well and good saying where we can get to, but for years the mantra on here was square pegs and round holes, play your best players in their positions, setup favoured to your best players. Now that seems to have all been forgotten based off some potential pipe dream of playing like the Gods of football.

I am all for balance, i want us to hold the ball and pass it about, but I'm not for just doing it all one way or playing possession football just for the sake of it. I know Mick and Danny gabby gabby are old school but they pretty much said this in the first 20 mins.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    drew 2 lost 7 of micks first reign from memory. stans start not much better.

if we can find a regular goalscorer it would make the world of difference
    We had one shot on goal today, one shot from outside the box.

And don't come back and say wales wales had only 1 or something. We always use defensive tactics here rather than looking for solutions to the problems. And i've already said that our positive was not conceding again.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Interesting to hear Ramsey say that Wales struggled to adapt to our pressing and possession game.

Hopefully Connolly can be recalled with McClean suspended now too. Possibly Idah too.

That team is close to clicking. There was a few examples in the second half were the passing was crisper and more one touch and Wales were in trouble. Hendrick looked like he was enjoying trying things and expressing himself, he gave it away plenty but there was lovely flashes too.

A major positive, and something that is a must to keep playing this style and to prevent players losing the confidence to try things, is that any time the ball was lost we reorganised super quickly and never got opened up.

9. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    todays ratings

randy 6

doherty 7
    duffy 7
    k.long 6
    stevens 7
    molumby 6
    hourihane 7
    brady 6
    hendrick 6
    mcclean 6
    long 8
    christie 5
    horgan7
    maguire 5
    cullen n/a

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

I dont think ive ever felt as deflated after the start of a managers reign to be honest. But its ok, because we have loads of possession though! Doesnt matter if its in our own half, of course, thats not relevant.
    You've been watching too much of Cork City Paul. Kenny has arguably gotten big performances from LoI players that supposedly have less quality than these accomplished cream of international player pool. Time will tell but I dont believe it is a repeat of giving Kerr the job without some 'big' management jobs. Kerr showed some lack of faith in his squad, negative when in front, slow to introduce form young players. We know this is more than rebuilding a squad but a complete change in how Irish football is currenty set up. Maybe a trip down memory lane for older fans from pre-Charlton.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Wales succeeded in doing what we use to do , drag the game down to their level.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Jesus there's some amount of sh1te talked on here.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    What? That's nonsense. He was a bit loose, sure, but he pulled out of it and barely made contact. The first yellow was nonsense, the second was harsh, and the idea of a ten match ban is just bizarre tbh
    In Argentine broadcasting they say it was ampadu simulation.

Some of the broadcasters today are big Shane Long's fans, at least the 3 of this game, they said they would like a fast forward like him for Argentina to run through channels for Messi's range of cutting edge passes

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    todays ratings

randy 6

doherty 7
    duffy 7
    k.long 6
    stevens 7
    molumby 6
    hourihane 7
    brady 6
    hendrick 6
    mcclean 6
    long 8
    christie 5
    horgan7
    maguire 5
    cullen n/a
    I'd go with
    Randolph 7
    Christie 6.5
    Duffy 7
    Doherty 7
    Stevens 7
    Molumby 8
    Hourihane 5
    Hendrick 5.5
    Brady 6.5
    Long 6
    McClean 6

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    My ratings;
    Randolph 6
    Little to do but might have conceded a silly pen
    Christie 7
    Did well, one mistake I think but positive on the ball, maybe lucky to avoid a second yellow.
    Duffy 7
    Solid as ever. Wales wanted him on the ball playing out and it worked for them a couple of times,
    Doherty 8
    Looked far more comfortable than might have been expected when pushed to left centre back so a higher mark than might otherwise have gotten.
    Stevens 7
    Looks our most likely option to create something. Delivery not always great but landed one on Horgan's head.
    Molumby 7
    Kept the midfield ticking over, solid if not spectacular, I did forget he was there for a bit first half.
    Hourihane 6
    Just doesn't quite do enough of anything.
    Hendrick 6.5
    Looked to enjoy the space playing almost beside Long at times. Some great touches and passes mixed with some awful ones.
    Brady 7
    One of his better performances, looked quite dangerous but should have hit target in first half. Almost put one on Duffy too from a set piece.
    Long 5
    Missed a sitter, tried a one two when he had space to turn and shoot. Pressed well but not in the game enough.
    McClean 4
    Did ok but can't forgive getting sent off at a stage we were pushing for a winner

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Interesting to hear Ramsey say that Wales struggled to adapt to our pressing and possession game.

Hopefully Connolly can be recalled with McClean suspended now too. Possibly Idah too.

That team is close to clicking. There was a few examples in the second half were the passing was crisper and more one touch and Wales were in trouble. Hendrick looked like he was enjoying trying things and expressing himself, he gave it away plenty but there was lovely flashes too.

A major positive, and something that is a must to keep playing this style and to prevent players losing the confidence to try things, is that any time the ball was lost we reorganised super quickly and never got opened up.
    dont think so. Finland can take a protest to uefa since it went to the public domain.

Ryan Manning, Greg Cunningham. Cillian Sheridan. James Collins are next in line

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Would have taken McClean off instead of Brady. Strange sub
    another mistake by Kenny, got exposed again as the seats incident out the pitch this one on the field of play.

brady was playing better and then mcclean got unfairly sent off

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I missed the first half but today continued Thursday in the sense that we tried to play good football. That's a big start compared to the previous 10 years.

It appears very likely that we will be third seeds for the wc draw. Maybe an outside chance if we could win two of the next three games that we could get in pot 2. Ideally within two years, we have a team of high quality young lads who are seasoned to international football ready for ec 2024 qualifiers. I hate giving up on a tournament but it's hard to see us finishing ahead of a team like Ukraine or Switzerland and then beating a similar quality side in a two leg playoff right now, but no reason that the likes of Parrott, O'Shea, Connolly, Knight, Molumby and Idah can't be able to go toe to toe with those type of teams by the end of wc qualifiers.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    I missed the first half but today continued Thursday in the sense that we tried to play good football. That's a big start compared to the previous 10 years.

It appears very likely that we will be third seeds for the wc draw. Maybe an outside chance if we could win two of the next three games that we could get in pot 2. Ideally within two years, we have a team of high quality young lads who are seasoned to international football ready for ec 2024 qualifiers. I hate giving up on a tournament but it's hard to see us finishing ahead of a team like Ukraine or Switzerland and then beating a similar quality side in a two leg playoff right now, but no reason that the likes of Parrott, O'Shea, Connolly, Knight, Molumby and Idah can't be able to go toe to toe with those type of teams by the end of wc qualifiers.
    There’s a simple way of avoiding a Ukraine or Switzerland...get 2nd seeds...if there is any lesson we take from the previous regime it’s don’t treat these games as nothing games, they are very important and right now we are at the cusp of second seeds if we do our business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Cillian Sheridan.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast