Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 95 of 128 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Never taught there was anything in the Everton link. I can't see any PL club wanting O'Neill.

Chris Coleman's stock is/was probably higher than O'Neill's and he ended up at Sunderland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Never taught there was anything in the Everton link. I can't see any PL club wanting O'Neill.

Chris Coleman's stock is/was probably higher than O'Neill's and he ended up at Sunderland.
    Maybe after the Euros, but Coleman only got one point from two games against O'Neill in the qualifiers
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Never taught there was anything in the Everton link.
    Your students are very lucky to have you.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Gary Rowett, one of the main contenders, is expected to sign a new contract at Derby today to end that speculation.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Rowett has a great chance of a) promotion with Derby or b) getting a PL job in the summer. Stoke are probably at too much of a downward trajectory for a young manager to be taking a career risk like that.

However, they might present the perfect opportunity for someone like O'Neill to get back into club management if there's a few pound to spend given that they're 3 points from going from 20th to 12th (if none of the sides above them won a point).

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    The only thing about the ONeill link that I would find dubious, is that Stoke specifically went away from that style of football by getting rid of Pulis.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I know we are all hurt after Denmark, but im I alone in thinking that O'Neill would have a really great chance if getting us to the Euros. Why risk someone who hasnt worked with our squad before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Especially when the 'someone' list is so underwhelming.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I know we are all hurt after Denmark, but im I alone in thinking that O'Neill would have a really great chance if getting us to the Euros. Why risk someone who hasnt worked with our squad before.
    I'd say there's a good bit of space at the bar in that 'O'Neill for Euro 2020' club. Despite the magnanimous 24/55 places on offer, our chances would greatly depend on the draw more than O'Neill's guile. I think it can be stated with confidence that Roy hasn't a scooby doo.
    On O'Neill's side, it's fair to point out that he's had to work with the weakest team in decades (imo), with some players who struggled in their prime to hold a first team spot under Trap or well past their prime and Trap's was just a decent average team. I'm not one of those who revises opinions over O'Neill's good and sometimes excellent games and pass those fortunes down to luck or haphazard events, just to round off some agenda that he's a total relic. But there is an obvious lack of consistency in performance and results under O'Neill and with tactical deficits, so much so that risking another manager appointment has its lure.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Despite the magnanimous 24/55 places on offer, our chances would greatly depend on the draw more than O'Neill's guile.
    Given that he has shown ability to not only beat higher ranked opposition, but also finish ahead of them over a full campaign, I think it's slightly harsh to say his chances of success are draw-dependent. Obviously the draw is very important, but that's the case for every non-powerhouse looking to qualify, and would be the case for any other manager that takes over also.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I don't care so much about qualification. I'd like Ireland matches to no longer be an assault on my eyeballs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    In an ideal world we would be able to mix it up and remain competitive, as we were under O'Neill at the Euros but unfortunately it didn't last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sky Sports are saying that Slaven Bilic isn't being considered for the Stoke job, despite being a favourite in some bookmakers - http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

BREAKING NEWS

Sky Sports News has been told former West Ham boss Slaven Bilic is not being considered for the vacant manager’s job at Stoke.

Bilic is joint favourite with most bookmakers, but it’s now clear he isn’t in the running.

Martin O’Neill is still a strong contender, but there are other candidates that owners Peter and John Coates are looking at.

Stoke are considering asking O’Neill to take the job on a short term basis we understand, so that they can make a more considered, long term appointment in the summer, but it isn’t clear whether O’Neill would be happy with that arrangement.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Sky Sports are saying that Slaven Bilic isn't being considered for the Stoke job, despite being a favourite in some bookmakers - http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre
    Bilic looked like a man that needed a long rest in the end at West Ham . West Ham does that to a lot of people mind.

Hammered by the Hammers....who’d have thunk that ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    That's true. He could do with a nice stress free gig. Sign him up, John.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I wonder is Michael O'Neill holding out to see if we come in for him , my understanding is he has offers from NI and also Scotland, but hasn't signed. The Scottish offer I believe if the media are right is lucrative

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Given that he has shown ability to not only beat higher ranked opposition, but also finish ahead of them over a full campaign, I think it's slightly harsh to say his chances of success are draw-dependent. Obviously the draw is very important, but that's the case for every non-powerhouse looking to qualify, and would be the case for any other manager that takes over also.
    The question I was answering was the fear of ill consequences arising out of replacing a known quantity like O'Neill.
    I can live with one small part of my reply being assessed as "slightly harsh", ---- but in the main a tolerable opinion.
    As we have seen before with Trap, it doesn't bode well when a manager who should have been retired, stutters unconvincingly into a 3rd campaign.

Re us and higher ranked opposition under O'Neill, ranking is an indicator but oft times an inaccurate indicator as was shown in the kind 2018 WC qual draw. A lowly (but decent) 3rd seeded team, just ahead of us in the rankings, ended up topping the group, which tells us that Wales were a good first seed team for us to have and Austria were well above their station as 2nd seeds (as Charlie predicted). Therefore us beating & finishing ahead of higher ranked teams was not an accurate indicator of prowess as was demonstrated in the play-off tie.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I wonder is Michael O'Neill holding out to see if we come in for him , my understanding is he has offers from NI and also Scotland, but hasn't signed. The Scottish offer I believe if the media are right is lucrative
    He'd get results for us, surely. Not sure whether he'd do much in terms of the brand of football or promotion of youth/new caps that Martin has been criticized for. His style of play has been dour for NI and promotion of youth is normally due to being strapped for players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The question I was answering was the fear of ill consequences arising out of replacing a known quantity like O'Neill.
    I can live with one small part of my reply being assessed as "slightly harsh", ---- but in the main a tolerable opinion.
    As we have seen before with Trap, it doesn't bode well when a manager who should have been retired, stutters unconvincingly into a 3rd campaign.

Re us and higher ranked opposition under O'Neill, ranking is an indicator but oft times an inaccurate indicator as was shown in the kind 2018 WC qual draw. A lowly (but decent) 3rd seeded team, just ahead of us in the rankings, ended up topping the group, which tells us that Wales were a good first seed team for us to have and Austria were well above their station as 2nd seeds (as Charlie predicted). Therefore us beating & finishing ahead of higher ranked teams was not an accurate indicator of prowess as was demonstrated in the play-off tie.
    Wales/Austria might have been favourable in the overall scheme of things, but they were ranked ahead of us very much on merit. They had both achieved things were could only dream about in the previous couple of years and were deserving of their high standing. Yet we still managed to out-perform both (or at least out-result them!).

Good point about Trap and the 3rd campaign, the situation is very similar in a lot of ways.

Page 95 of 128 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast