Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ireland Squad named

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I'd hate if Keogh got a start RHM. He should be in the squad as a forward, nothing else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Keogh playing right midfield is just a wrong choice. He doesn't even get his game for Wolves.

Trapattoni is a brilliant manager, and I'm delighted to have him but it looks like he is being a puppet in relation to team selection.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Well it looks like he is relying too much on the players he had from the training camp from Portugal. Does he really think he can persist solely with members from that group for the next two years?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Trapattoni is a brilliant manager, and I'm delighted to have him but it looks like he is being a puppet in relation to team selection.
    Not a puppet, just a "genius" determined to show he can get results without the need to deploy one of our most talented players. Maybe I am totally stupid, but given the extremely slender playing resources we have, I would have thought that the first principle of team selection would be "pick your best players."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I'm not going to criticise Trap until/if we start losing even if I do think some of his choices are baffling.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Not a puppet, just a "genius" determined to show he can get results without the need to deploy one of our most talented players. Maybe I am totally stupid, but given the extremely slender playing resources we have, I would have thought that the first principle of team selection would be "pick your best players."
    "pick your best team"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post
    "pick your best team"

Given

J O' Brien Dunne O'Shea Finnan

S. Reid

McGeady A.Reid Kilbane

Keane Doyle

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Given

S. Reid

McGeady A.Reid Kilbane

Keane Doyle
    I have to say I don't see much wrong with this team. Although I would have Hunt in ahead of Kilbane - Hunt would provide more cover in midfield than Duff and is a much better winger than Kilbane.

As Stutts said earlier, Hunt is as much a left sided midfielder as he is a left winger. I think this would allow Trap to play A Reid ahead of Whelan as Hunt would provide more defensive cover than Duff.

I'd love to see the above team start (with Hunt in for Kilbane) but it's almost definitely going to be Kilbane left full, Finnan right full, Whelan instead of A Reid and Hunt/Keogh on one wing with McGeady on the other.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Given

S. Reid

McGeady A.Reid Kilbane

Keane Doyle
    Players out of position all over the place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    why is Joey O'Brien not an option at DM in place of Whelan?

im sorry but im thinking Trap is pretty much getting his selections as wrong as Stan did. I think the organisation/experience he will bring will see us not getting embarrassed but we are not going to qualify for the world cup without all of our best players on the park for the majority of the games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

im sorry but im thinking Trap is pretty much getting his selections as wrong as Stan did. I think the organisation/experience he will bring will see us not getting embarrassed but we are not going to qualify for the world cup without all of our best players on the park for the majority of the games.

Totally agree. And what really worries me is that Trap is almost conceding the point that we dont have enough quality (in his mind) to play our way into the World Cup so we must achieve results by "playing to our traditional strengths" of organisation and physical aggression. He seems to have a stereotype of what Irish football is about, hence his preference for the players who epitomise that stereotype. If he was managing Italy would he prefer Whelan to Reid? I suspect not. The tragedy is that we do have some very good technical players and could embrace a much more progressive style. We should have appointed a Dutch coach rather than someone who believes that we are a poor man's England. Of course I stand to look totally stupid if his approach pays off, but I honestly suspect it wont.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    im sorry but im thinking Trap is pretty much getting his selections as wrong as Stan did
    Finnan/Kelly at left full? Joey O'Brien at centre half in one game, then centre mid in the next? Steven Reid on the right?
    Can't see Trap making any one of these choices.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    i think andy reid is terrific with the ball and works very hard without it. though i watched him a bit closer without the ball v. spurs and at times he was getting murdered for pace as younger players seemed to glide past him as if he weren't there. again, he's one of our most skillfull players, undoubtedly, but with the trappatoni-goggles on i could understand his omission from the starting 11 more logically.
    zombie/thread killer..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Totally agree. And what really worries me is that Trap is almost conceding the point that we dont have enough quality (in his mind) to play our way into the World Cup so we must achieve results by "playing to our traditional strengths" of organisation and physical aggression. He seems to have a stereotype of what Irish football is about, hence his preference for the players who epitomise that stereotype.
    When has he said that?

What I read after the Norway game was that against a team like Norway a more physical game was required but that you can play a latin style ame against latin style opposition. In any event, the first half in Norway (the second half was a farce) showed that we moved the ball well for practically the first time since 2002.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Totally agree. And what really worries me is that Trap is almost conceding the point that we dont have enough quality (in his mind) to play our way into the World Cup so we must achieve results by "playing to our traditional strengths" of organisation and physical aggression. He seems to have a stereotype of what Irish football is about, hence his preference for the players who epitomise that stereotype. If he was managing Italy would he prefer Whelan to Reid? I suspect not. The tragedy is that we do have some very good technical players and could embrace a much more progressive style. We should have appointed a Dutch coach rather than someone who believes that we are a poor man's England. Of course I stand to look totally stupid if his approach pays off, but I honestly suspect it wont.
    I don't think this is true. Many commented on the conviction of our passing in the Norway game.

Also eirebhoy pointed out before that Trapattoni dropped Pirlo in favour of Gatusso while manager of Italy.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts

Are you not contradicting yourself there? Whelan is a better user of the ball than O'Brien in my opinion. Picking O'Brien would be a more physical / less technical option, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    When has he said that?

What I read after the Norway game was that against a team like Norway a more physical game was required but that you can play a latin style ame against latin style opposition. In any event, the first half in Norway (the second half was a farce) showed that we moved the ball well for practically the first time since 2002.
    Thanks Stutts. I thought I was going mad for a moment.
    This thread is starting to show the change in mentality of our fan. We starting to look no better than that shower across the water.
    He hasn't even had 1 competitive game, he's undefeated as manager with a squad he barely knows. Give him a break. We lose on Sat and don't win on Weds, go mental. Hold fire till then lads.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Trap will play Given; Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Kilbane; McGeady, S. Reid, Whelan, Hunt; Doyle, Keane

A few things to note though.

1) Thus far McGeady has been a failure in the green shirt. the talent is there but how long can we wait for him to perform
    2) McGeady is uncomfortable on the right for some reason, and Hunt is untested on the right
    3) If we are going to displace Hunt to the right hand side to accomodate McGeady, I think i'd take the risk of dropping McGeady, playing Delaney at left full and letting Kilbane play on the left wing. Cue the chorus of Kilbanes a terrible winger, but so far McGeady has been rubbish. With Kilbane at least we have defensive awareness and physical presence in the midfield. If he is ineffectual he could be substituted for McGeady at half time.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    ^I disagree. We need to use McGeady against these "weaker" teams especially without Duff. He could be the key to unlock a stubborn Georgian defence.

If we were playing Bulgaria I might agree with you as McGeady has been poor for us so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Just thinking about it, Duff is a big loss for these matches, a real big loss.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast