Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland Squad named

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    i didnt think liam brady rated him? did he?
    As a pundit, Brady always went on about him, so I assume he's a fan.

Definitely agree he should be further down the pecking order- probably wouldn't have him in the squad either.

Really hoping Andy Reid gets into the team for these qualifiers.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    2. There are a number of reasons why I frequent this site. Partly these are to do with the inescapable fact that football in Ireland is inevitable linked to some extent across the two jurisdictions, both historically and currently. Partly it is because I am a football nut generally and this is one of the best run such sites I've found. And I guess is it partly because I like airing my own opinions - and I'm hardly alone in that in this company!

That's cool with me. I just happen to think that the "inevitable, historical and current" links establish a powerful case for having a single international team. I think it would benefit Irish football and also improve relationships across communities in Ireland without it necessarily threatening political or constitutional structures. It is just another instance (the Celtic League being the other one) of where Rugby could teach us a thing or two.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    To return to te main topic of this thread. Watched O'Shea last night for Man Utd. He actually looked quite accomplished when he came on and made a difference for Utd in the midfield area. What's the latest with Andy O'Brien. If he was available (or the hugely promising St Ledger picked) then I think that even O'Shea would be an improvement on Whelan. This is definitely Trap's blind spot. It's not even as if he has done anything to vindicate his selection. He is a competent championship player who has been relegated to the bench at Stoke. The problem with some coaches is that they feel obliged to make eccentric selections to prove their genius.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    To return to te main topic of this thread. Watched O'Shea last night for Man Utd. He actually looked quite accomplished when he came on and made a difference for Utd in the midfield area. What's the latest with Andy O'Brien. If he was available (or the hugely promising St Ledger picked) then I think that even O'Shea would be an improvement on Whelan. This is definitely Trap's blind spot. It's not even as if he has done anything to vindicate his selection. He is a competent championship player who has been relegated to the bench at Stoke. The problem with some coaches is that they feel obliged to make eccentric selections to prove their genius.
    The latest with Andy o Brien is that he has said that he is definately not coming back, so forget about him. And we cant say that this is Traps blind spot until we see if it gets results.If we qualify out of the group with Whelan in midfield we will all be saying that it was a stroke of genius
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Is that later than Joey O'Brien saying he thought it was not a final decision based on his discussions with Andy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Is that later than Joey O'Brien saying he thought it was not a final decision based on his discussions with Andy?
    Fair enough didnt hear that... I was going on what Trappatoni said and the fact that he's not been in squads recently

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    As a pundit, Brady always went on about him, so I assume he's a fan.

Definitely agree he should be further down the pecking order- probably wouldn't have him in the squad either.

Really hoping Andy Reid gets into the team for these qualifiers.

fair enough then - but am surprised with brady thinking this especially considering his experience at spotting talent while working with the arsenal academy

yeah agree with you on reid - we really need his vision - he deserves his chance to stake and nail down a regular place in the team - quality player

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    The And we cant say that this is Traps blind spot until we see if it gets results.If we qualify out of the group with Whelan in midfield we will all be saying that it was a stroke of genius

Hope you are right about Whelan, but if we didn't believe we knew better than the manager(s) we probably wouldn't be on this site in the first place. Seems like a big risk leaving out one of our most talented and consistent Premiership players for a seemingly limited player with little top flight pedigree.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Hope you are right about Whelan, but if we didn't believe we knew better than the manager(s) we probably wouldn't be on this site in the first place. Seems like a big risk leaving out one of our most talented and consistent Premiership players for a seemingly limited player with little top flight pedigree.
    Whelan again not in the starting eleven for Stoke. Not a good sign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I totally agree that Andy Reid should be in the team and Im very dissappointed that hes not(he's possibly my favorite Irish player at the moment)... but I just dont want to get into critisizing the manager before we have played a single qualifier, and I was very impressed with the potential we showed in the first half against Norway

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He might yet be picked in place of Duff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    hatrick for Doyler today, hope that bodes well for his form going into next week

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    hatrick for Doyler today, hope that bodes well for his form going into next week
    Great to see. I hope Villa sign him. I was watching the West ham v Blackburn game and although WH won 4-1 the Irish threesome of Reid, Andrews and especially Treacy played well. Treacy's crosses from the left caused in the WH defense. He looks like avery good prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    thought Andrews looked like a tidy player, maybe a little bit off the pace. Next 5-6 games will tell us more but he showed a couple of lovely flick passes in midfield, reminded me of SkStu in his prime...

Treacy has deceptive pace and a great cross off either foot. Looks like he might come good.

Reid is a superb athlete - love watching him play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Yes I'm so happy for Doyler.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    delighted for doyle hope hel prove all the doubters on this forum wrong in the upcoming qualifiers

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think Im going to start a campaign to get Lawrence in the squad, by all accounts played a good game for Stoke again today and has not looked out of place since the move up. And unlike some other players he has expressed a real desire to get back in the Irish set up.

Anyways, the next two weeks is huge for us, i think we really need to get at least 4 and hopefully six points out of these games to give us a good start to the group and to keep the good feeling that has been in place since Trap took over. I think we can take Georgia, they didnt look anything to worry about against Wales (particularly the keeper), am a bit more concerned about Montenegro, not to mention our recent away record.........when was the last time we won two away games in a row?????

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I think Im going to start a campaign to get Lawrence in the squad, by all accounts played a good game for Stoke again today and has not looked out of place since the move up. And unlike some other players he has expressed a real desire to get back in the Irish set up.
    Did very well today for Stoke's goal- got away from the full back and delivered an excellent cross to the far post.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it is high time that the Managment told, both him personally, and us why Lawrence is not in the squad. It has to be for non football reasons.

If they are not going to pick him for something he has done in the past, or they fear he might do in the future, then they should be fair to the lad, and us, and say so. He certainly seems to be working on the assumption that if he keeps doing his stuff he will get in but must wonder when he sees some of the people who get ahead of him in the squad.

Anyone who thinks any of our current squad is better as a right hand side midfielder, with the possible exception of S Reid, has clearly not been watching him amd the other options for a while.

This disruption accusation might be part of it, but we should be told.

He is certainly a bit lippy and gets booked for arguing with refs but usually has a case when he does.
    The corollary of that is that in a battle he does not go missing and will fight his corner as good as the next man.
    With Duff missing, a decent option on the right is what we are crying out for.

He is the best one we have available at the moment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yep, I think Lawrence is worth considering for the RHM spot. Strange that he's not in the squad.

I hope Delaney will play LB with O'Shea and Dunne at CB.

I'm actually not too put out by Duff's loss. I expect Hunt will play on the left now, McGeady on the right.

I don't think a traditional winger is ideal to service our front two. I'd like to see us narrower and tighter in midfield with the full backs getting forward.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast