Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Profile of Georgia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Profile of Georgia

Last edited by NeilMcD; 26/08/2008 at 2:26 PM.
    In Trap we trust

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    What I'll say for them is that it's no stretch whatsover to describe Kaladze as one of the best central defenders in the world at the moment. Don't even bother with high balls when he's around, he'll win every single one of them.

Don't know very much about the rest of their team. A couple of bit players at Schalke and most of the rest lower calibur clubs. A very competent team though, probably about the level of Slovakia from the last campaign. I'd be thrilled with an away win here but it'll be very tough.
    no point in doing that anyway, we've much too small a team
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Squad for our game

Goalkeepers: Giorgi Loria (Dinamo Tbilisi), Roin Kvaskhvadze (Zestafoni), Giorgi Makaridze (Dinamo Tbilisi)

Defenders: Kakha Kaladze (AC Milan; Italy), Lasha Salukvadze (Rubin Kazan; Russia), Malkhaz Asatiani (Lokomotiv Moscow; Russia), Mate Gvinianidze (1860 Munich; Germany), Giorgi Shashiashvili (Sturm Graz; Austria), Zurab Khizanishvili (Blackburn Rovers; England), Ucha Lobjanidze (Zestafoni), Aleqsandre Kvakhadze (WIT Georgia), Zaal Eliava (Dinamo Tbilisi).

Midfielders: Levan Kobiashvili (Schalke 04; Germany), Levan Kenia (Schalke 04; Germany), David Mujiri (Lokomotiv Moskva; Russia), Gogita Gogua (Spartak Nalchik; Russia), David Kvirkvelia (Rubin Kazan; Russia), Zurab Menteshashvili (FK Ventspils; Latvia), Levan Khmaladze (Dinamo Tbilisi), David Odikadze (Dinamo Tbilisi), Irakli Klimiashvili (WIT Georgia).

Forwards: Aleksandre Iashvili (Karlsruher SC; Germany), Levan Mchedlidze (Empoli; Italy), David Siradze (FC Spartak Nalchik; Russia), Beka Gotsiridze (FC Zestafoni), Rati Aleksidze (FC Locomotiv Tbilisi)

The one noticable thing there is 9 of the 13 players with links there are over 6 foot. Another is 5'11.

Rubin Kazan are top of the Russian league btw and 2 of those players are regulars for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Scotland beat them at home with a last minute goal and then they lost 2 nil away. I think it will be huge if the game is played in a neutral venue though. That is a huge advantage for us in my view.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    They have some decent players in all positions, I think Ireland should still win, we have better players overall and I can not see them scoring, 1 or 2-0 for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Until results indicate otherwise we should be aiming to win this group. I have doubts that we will get 6 points from our first two games, massive doubts. Wouldn't be suprised if we only had 2 points after first two games.

However we need the 6 points. I have bigger doubts about ths game than the other. I feel Georga are more of a team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Montenegro are a far better team, Georgia will end up bottom of this group, I am certain of that, I would not be surprised to see us, Bulgaria and Italy dropping points in Montenegro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Scotland beat them at home with a last minute goal and then they lost 2 nil away. I think it will be huge if the game is played in a neutral venue though. That is a huge advantage for us in my view.
    They completly outplayed Scotland in Tblisi as well. Plus im fairly sure that most of their team were made up of teenagers that day. Plus the last time Italy were in their group, which i think was a good 6 years ago, they only drew in Tblisi.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Our team is very young, and very unpredictable. In terms of individual talent, we should be up there challenging Bulgaria and Ireland, but we've been there before...when it comes to the crunch, I wouldn't put it past us to indeed lose against Montenegro and Cyprus, and finish bottom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    So George which players should we look out for in your team and how has impressed you and who do you think will go on to make their mark on this group.
    In Trap we trust

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Our real star at the moment is a 17 year old boy Levan Kenia, who hasn't even broken into Schalke's starting team yet, but already has 12 caps and gave the Scots a good runaround back when he was only 16...also scored against Wales recently. Our younger and less complete version of McGeady, if you like.

Kaladze you probably know about...often struggles to recreate his AC Milan form, but he's class. Also you might know Khizanishvili from Blackburn (formerly of Dundee and "huns"), he is still very useful.

In midfield, Kobiashvili from Schalke is the best known player, but he's been out of sorts recently, so I hope he doesn't play. Then there are a few Russian-based players whose recent form has been good.

In attack, Cuper could choose to go with experience (Iashvili from Karlsruhe) or youth (Mchedlidze from Udinese), or both. As for the goalkeepers, the less said about any of them, the better.

Otherwise, we'll have to wait and see who has managed to impress Cuper in training...the team that played Wales is not the best example, as we had a tiny squad there, missing a few players.

The group? Well, I think Italy will stroll it without playing any good football in the process. Bulgaria are a 2-man team, but since both of them (Berbatov and Martin Petrov) are world class and score goals, they'll be challenging for second place for sure. Ireland for me is unpredictable, a bit like us, but I doubt that you will be anywhere near as bad as in previous qualifiers again...you might just edge it for the second spot.

Cyprus is on a high, and their club just qualified for CL group stages (masterminded by a Georgian...thought I'd mention it) and Montenegro was definitely the toughest team from the last pot. This is possibly the most evenly balanced group, and I'd say that having this first key away game staged at a neutral venue could work to your advantage in the end.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by George2605 View Post
    Our real star at the moment is a 17 year old boy Levan Kenia, who hasn't even broken into Schalke's starting team yet, but already has 12 caps and gave the Scots a good runaround back when he was only 16...also scored against Wales recently. Our younger and less complete version of McGeady, if you like.

Kaladze you probably know about...often struggles to recreate his AC Milan form, but he's class. Also you might know Khizanishvili from Blackburn (formerly of Dundee and "huns"), he is still very useful.

In midfield, Kobiashvili from Schalke is the best known player, but he's been out of sorts recently, so I hope he doesn't play. Then there are a few Russian-based players whose recent form has been good.

In attack, Cuper could choose to go with experience (Iashvili from Karlsruhe) or youth (Mchedlidze from Udinese), or both. As for the goalkeepers, the less said about any of them, the better.

Otherwise, we'll have to wait and see who has managed to impress Cuper in training...the team that played Wales is not the best example, as we had a tiny squad there, missing a few players.

The group? Well, I think Italy will stroll it without playing any good football in the process. Bulgaria are a 2-man team, but since both of them (Berbatov and Martin Petrov) are world class and score goals, they'll be challenging for second place for sure. Ireland for me is unpredictable, a bit like us, but I doubt that you will be anywhere near as bad as in previous qualifiers again...you might just edge it for the second spot.

Cyprus is on a high, and their club just qualified for CL group stages (masterminded by a Georgian...thought I'd mention it) and Montenegro was definitely the toughest team from the last pot. This is possibly the most evenly balanced group, and I'd say that having this first key away game staged at a neutral venue could work to your advantage in the end.
    Thanks for that man. Ignoring the two games against us of course I hope to see Georgia do well in the qualifying campaign.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Thanks for that man. Ignoring the two games against us of course I hope to see Georgia do well in the qualifying campaign.
    Thanks, same here. The welcome we got in Dublin a few years ago was the best I've experienced along with Glasgow, so all the best.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I think that is a very sound assessment by George 2605 to say that this is the most evenly balanced of all the groups. I have a feeling that teams will be taking points off each other all over the place. Montenegro were definitely the toughest team from the lowest seeds but I believe Georgia will finish with a good few more points than them, especially if they start playing at home. We got lucky there because I think they would be extremely difficult for anyone to beat at home right now. Cyprus, as ever, are a bunch of ba****ds but you have to admire them. They will ruin someone's campaign, hopefully not ours.

We need to be solid at home. Draws at home against Italy and Bulgaria could be enough if we beat all the others at home, though beating the Bulgars at home will be Trap's aim I'm sure.

The first two games are key. If we can get finish the trip without losing either of the two games we will be out of the woods somewhat. Then we are looking at three home games. Two easier ones against Cyprus and then Georgia to hopefully secure six points to pick up some confidence before the third home game against Bulgaria.

We wont know if we are going to the world cup after those first five games but we will most likely know if we are still in the mix for a place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by George2605 View Post

Great post.

I think Cyprus will finish bottom but I have a feeling they will beat Bulgaria at home.

This will be a difficult group and whoever qualifies will have deserved it so much.