Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squad predictions/wishes for Georgia & Montenegro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Squad predictions/wishes for Georgia & Montenegro

Now that the real action will finally start in a few weeks what players would you expect or want to see in the next squad?

It will probably be very close to the last squad with max. one or two changes if there are no injuries.
    They are competitive games so maybe Carsley will make a return at the expense of Miller.

If Whelan doesn't get any game time between now and then maybe J O'Brien will be considered for CMF again or he could be a replacement for Miller if Carsley isn't in the squad. Leaving a defence squad place free. Liam Lawrence might also force his way in if there are any injuries. However I think Trap will stick with Whelan in the squad no matter what.

In the short term I can only see these changes being made to the squad as, apart from O'Brien, none of the young hopefulls have had starts to the season that would merit their inclusion.

I find it good that there is finally some decent quality competition for the CMF positions and that we won't need to be relying on O'Shea and Kilbane for cover there. The two Reids, Miller, Carsley, Whelan, J O'Brien all fighting for two positions can only be good. That will keep us ticking along nicely when we wait for one or two of Garvan, McCarthy, O’Toole, McCann, Gibson etc. to develop and replace weaker players like Miller and future retirees like Carsley.

I would imagine the 5 strikers will stay the same.

I agree with many on here that Bruce is brutal and not of international standard. Trap needs to bring the likes of McCarthy or St. Ledger into the squad but again I think he will make very few changes in defence apart from bringing McShane back to replace maybe Bruce. It would be interesting to see who he would call up if McShane doesn't fully recover and Bruce gets injured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    McShane played a friendly game last week and should be fit. He'll get a call up and maybe even start at the expense of Kilbane.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Im fairly certain that he will start with the exact same team as against Norway, he doesnt seem to be a man that likes changing much and goes with what he has seen and knows
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    miller to be dropped from the squad is what i want --- but it aint gonna happen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I'd be happy with McShane in the squad, and Murphy is growing on me on the wing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Im fairly certain that he will start with the exact same team as against Norway, he doesnt seem to be a man that likes changing much and goes with what he has seen and knows
    Spot on Razors , that's just what I was thinking

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think Carsley will take the place of Whelan in the starting 11, but that's the only change I expect, unless there are injuries...

If Duff's injury rules him out, I think Hunt will take his place... I don't think he sees Andy Reid as a winger... but at least we have some good options if Duff can't make it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Nah Whelan is playing central midfield, from what Trap said about him and the fact he has picked him in 3 games shows that he does rate him for that role. Carsley was not in the squad, he may be in this squad but I am not sure he will start.
    In Trap we trust

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    What we need above all else is consistency. The worst thing that could happen if he start bringing in random championship players for their 1st cap like Stan was doing but I reckon Trap is far too experienced to let that happen.

Realistic scenario is that he plays the same team he used with Norway. Best case is that he replaces Whelan with Carsley.
    I cant make up my mind on that one, I like Carsley but Whelan really impressed me against Norway, he is more mobile and has better distribution than Carlsey but Carsley is probably more solid.
    Anyway like I said already I dont think it is an issue as the same team will probably start
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I was also thinking about our 'keeper situation. I know it's more normal to call up 3 keepers for tournament finals rather than qualifiers but considering Kiely's age it might be a good idea to include a third keeper for this squad. The likes of Bruce and Foley will probably never get game time unless we have 2 or 3 injuries in their positions. I would prefer their place to go to a young 'keeper because if either of Given or Kiely get injured we will have to call in a back-up keeper with little or no experience of being away with the international squad. Kiely will retire after this campagin so we would also be in a bad position if Given gets injured at that time to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    I only really see one or two changes from the squad against Norway. Maybe an extra keeper, and possibly Lawrence forcing his way into the side. Tardelli and Brady were at the Spurs - Sunderland game yesterday, but I doubt they saw anything they didn't already know. With any luck Reid's performance can force him into an appearance, if not an actual start.
    Incidentally, he picked up a bonus point in fantasy football for his performance.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I see the exact same team that started against Norway starting against Georgia. I personally would play A. Reid instead of Whelan but that is not going to happen. More than anything we need to keep clean sheets against both these sides. No chasing games away from home with a mad crowd baying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I only really see one or two changes from the squad against Norway. Maybe an extra keeper, and possibly Lawrence forcing his way into the side. Tardelli and Brady were at the Spurs - Sunderland game yesterday, but I doubt they saw anything they didn't already know. With any luck Reid's performance can force him into an appearance, if not an actual start.
    Incidentally, he picked up a bonus point in fantasy football for his performance.
    I think Reid played left midfield unfortunately though, with Richardson in the centre.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    I was also thinking about our 'keeper situation. I know it's more normal to call up 3 keepers for tournament finals rather than qualifiers but considering Kiely's age it might be a good idea to include a third keeper for this squad. The likes of Bruce and Foley will probably never get game time unless we have 2 or 3 injuries in their positions. I would prefer their place to go to a young 'keeper because if either of Given or Kiely get injured we will have to call in a back-up keeper with little or no experience of being away with the international squad. Kiely will retire after this campagin so we would also be in a bad position if Given gets injured at that time to.
    There's always John O'Shea...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    I see the exact same team that started against Norway starting against Georgia. I personally would play A. Reid instead of Whelan but that is not going to happen. More than anything we need to keep clean sheets against both these sides. No chasing games away from home with a mad crowd baying.
    Trap is NEVER gonna play Andy Reid with Duff and McGeady in a four man midfield. Not unless Roy Keane of 2001 is the fourth man. It will be two of the three playing. However Andy may figure in a five man midfield away from home but then again Robbie may fill that role.

I also think he will favour two physical central midfielders especially if O'Shea or McShane are playing behind them.

I agree the starting XI against Georgia will be the same as was against Norway, barring injuries of course. Only possible change could be Murphy for Doyle.
    "Football is a game you play with your brain".

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    Trap is NEVER gonna play Andy Reid with Duff and McGeady in a four man midfield. Not unless Roy Keane of 2001 is the fourth man. It will be two of the three playing. However Andy may figure in a five man midfield away from home but then again Robbie may fill that role.

I also think he will favour two physical central midfielders especially if O'Shea or McShane are playing behind them.

I agree the starting XI against Georgia will be the same as was against Norway, barring injuries of course. Only possible change could be Murphy for Doyle.
    Reid's tackling seems to have improved greatly this season (OK. Only 2 games). He is no longer diving in aimlessly and he is a really hard player to get around(cue weight jokes). What if Trap tells him not to go beyond the final quarter and just do a Carsley type job but with much better distribution? This should ring a bell with Liam Brady as he was asked by Charlton to run around and hassle defenders in the twilight of his Irish career. (A couple of times as a late sub. And he did a great job) Tardelli and Brady watched Reid and Murphy yesterday and I have a feeling Reid might still play against Georgia.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 24/08/2008 at 11:12 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No Changes to the team baring injuries with McShane replacing Finnan been an outside possibility. McShane the only addition to the squad.
    I would like to see Lawerance and McCarthy or St. Ledger brought into the squad. But as Trap is only here for 2 years, the only time given to impress was in Portugal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    If Duff's injury rules him out, I think Hunt will take his place... I don't think he sees Andy Reid as a winger... but at least we have some good options if Duff can't make it.
    I think Reid would come in if Duff Keane or McGeady is out. What's happening is we're tagging players too rigidly such as "Wingers" etc, where as I don't think that's Trapps mindset in this case.

Think of the three that played behind Van Nistelrooy for the Dutch in the Euros, supported by Engelarr and De Jong. (Esp when Robben was injured)

Whilst Reid I think would be better placed in the middle I think he could easily be flanked by Keane and McGeady. Keane not being a winger in the truest sense but still able to hurt teams from deep. I seen him play well enough in similar positions under Jol when trying to accomadate all his strikers.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When is the squad announced?
    Trapattonis esercito verde

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    According to this - http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ir...l-1462705.html - the 28-man provisional squad is already out, and Joe Murphy is included in it

<EDIT>

Confirmation from Scunthorpe's website: http://www.scunthorpe-united.premium...373944,00.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast