Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory Delap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Lawrence did. Whelan was an unused substitute.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    No only have Stoke got too huge strikers, both central midfielders were giants too. Lawrence hardly got a kick of the ball, very poor. Delap was more involved in general play as well as about 20 long throw-ins. These were very effective if extremely hard on the eyes.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    [quote=drummerboy;1021060]Interesting idea. However the fact that he never played left back before may be a slight drawback.

Think you will find that he played full back quite a lot of the time when at Derby and Southampton albeit at right back. He is used to playing full back, and used to playing on the left so it would not be such a traumatic adjustment. He has certainly much more experience playing at the back than Kilbane.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Didn't see the game but don't Stoke have two big tall gangling forwards. Not much use employing Delap to throw the ball in to our two forward midgets Did Lawrence or Whelan play?
    By the same logic then there's no point in putting corners across in the air, Stoke attack those throws as if it's a corner if they're chasing a game, centre halfs up the lot. I know you're being slightly tounge in cheek but the size of the forwards doesn't really matter that much in those situations....

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    [QUOTE=third policeman;1021164]
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Interesting idea. However the fact that he never played left back before may be a slight drawback.

Think you will find that he played full back quite a lot of the time when at Derby and Southampton albeit at right back. He is used to playing full back, and used to playing on the left so it would not be such a traumatic adjustment. He has certainly much more experience playing at the back than Kilbane.

Kilbane played all of last season as a left-back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Delap, I admit, did play at right full for a while in the past. However he is not a naturally left sided player and it would be too much to expect him to play there, given the small amoutn of experience he has of playing right full.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    By the same logic then there's no point in putting corners across in the air, Stoke attack those throws as if it's a corner if they're chasing a game, centre halfs up the lot. I know you're being slightly tounge in cheek but the size of the forwards doesn't really matter that much in those situations....
    I am not sure that centre halves would come up for throw ins like they do for corners but the point is you do need to have physical forwards to be effective for that sort of game. If we had a Cascarino and/or a Quinn playing up front, Delap's inclusion might be worthwhile for the throw ins alone but not with Keane and Doyle as the target me.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Problem is, it doesn't look like football, it's desperate stuff.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Problem is, it doesn't look like football, it's desperate stuff.
    Thats out of order. I saw Stoke play at least two balls along the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's not pretty but I suppose when clubs come up, you can't really knock them initially for playing to their strengths. They have to do what they have to do to survive.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I am not sure that centre halves would come up for throw ins like they do for corners but the point is you do need to have physical forwards to be effective for that sort of game. If we had a Cascarino and/or a Quinn playing up front, Delap's inclusion might be worthwhile for the throw ins alone but not with Keane and Doyle as the target me.
    Trust me, the last 10 minutes yesterday they were throwing as many people forward for those throws as they were for corners. He's launching balls at 35 miles an hour right into the danger area. I am only talking about chasing a game late on here mind you.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I watched the Stoke game yesterday and have to say I was delighted to see them lose. They play the most utterly horrible football I have seen in ages.

Delap is such a brutally average player. I honestly cant see what he could bring to the Irish side other than the long throw. I don't know why Pulis has him on the left wing, presumably because he is quite big and takes up a lot of space, gets in the way, etc. He offerers absolutely nothing going forward

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    For some reason i've always been a Delap fan and on yesterday's performence i'd put him in the squad.
    Those long throws would come in handy especially against the Italians and the really crap countries with the goalies who are afraid of catching the ball.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Im not a fan of Stokes tactics, but their two goals came from throw ins and goals win games. sometimes when your chasing a game does it really matter how you score so long as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    For some reason i've always been a Delap fan and on yesterday's performence i'd put him in the squad.
    Those long throws would come in handy especially against the Italians and the really crap countries with the goalies who are afraid of catching the ball.
    good point, catching the ball under pressure wouldnt be a lot of continental keepers strong point

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srfc1928 View Post
    good point, catching the ball under pressure wouldnt be a lot of continental keepers strong point
    Will I ring Giovanni or will you?
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd say he mite come in handy to have in the squad at the end of the camgaign, after watching his impact against everton
    Picture this; last game of the qualifiers at home to Montenegro, scores at 1-1, but we need 3 points to qualify. Delap comes on and with his long throw's we end up getting the winner to put us through.
    Last edited by Billy-Green; 16/09/2008 at 1:55 PM.
    We'll never die, we'll never die

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    [QUOTE=third policeman;1021164]
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Interesting idea. However the fact that he never played left back before may be a slight drawback.

I seem to remember at Derby (?) he played in every outfield position. He's the poor man's John O'Shea. Actually John O'Shea is the poor man's John O'Shea but you know what I mean!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Those crazy foreigners!

Might as well bring in Anto Murphy if we want someone who can throw the ball a loooooooonggg distance

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Reminds me when I used read Roy of the Rovers in Tiger/Hurricane. Real xenophobic stuff with the nasty foreign keepers unable to come out for crosses and Blackie Gray and Roy Race putting one over on these damned non-Brits
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Such long throws give a team a great advantage it make a set piece of of virtually every throw-in in the oppositions half.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast