Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory Delap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Delap deserved to be in the squad back in McCarthys days as manager. Its not going to happen now unfortunately. Too late for it to be worthwhile. Always felt he got overly harsh criticism for his displays for us.
    I'm prety sure he was a regular under McCarthy. Just a regular unused substitute.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    how regular? He was in the squad a few times alright but i dont think he was ever "regular".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    how regular? He was in the squad a few times alright but i dont think he was ever "regular".
    Actually, he wasn't that regular, my mistake.
    Under Mick he started on the bench 7 times, and was introduced 5 times. He had 3 starts and only completed 90 minutes once.
    Bizarrely his debut was as a second half substitute in a 2-1 loss away to the Czech Republic, and his last game was as a second half substitute a 2-1 home win against the Czech Republic!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I only remember him in that last game, I thought he did alright, got stuck in at midfield and made the tackles. But then he pulled out injured from the next few squads. Probably he should have been called up at the beginning of Trap's reign, considering some of the mildly talented players he did have a close look at.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Better than Kilbane probably even now, but surely too old for a recall now, even with that throw.

His lack of consideration shows the lack of foresight by some, probably even Trap.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    According to the Guardian, none of his 11 throws at the weekend found a Stoke player, and then most of the loose balls fell to a Bolton player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Better than Kilbane probably even now, but surely too old for a recall now
    Delap is around the same age as Kilbane. Strange that Kilbane is not deemed too old but Delap is.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    According to the Guardian, none of his 11 throws at the weekend found a Stoke player, and then most of the loose balls fell to a Bolton player.
    there was a stat on football365 a few weeks ago that he took more throws than made passes in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Delap is around the same age as Kilbane. Strange that Kilbane is not deemed too old but Delap is.
    Delap's older, he's 34.
    Kilbane is 34 on his next birthday, February 1st
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 20/10/2010 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Delap's got 11 bit-part caps, Kilbane's got over a 100. Regardless of how anyone feels about Kilbane, it's obviously a difference. Bringing in Delap now would be like blooding a new player - and if we're going to do that we'd surely be better off looking at someone younger (Coleman, Ward, McCarthy).
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Delap's older, he's 34.
    Kilbane is 34 on his next birthday, February 1st
    That's a huge difference alright.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Bringing in Delap now would be like blooding a new player - and if we're going to do that we'd surely be better off looking at someone younger (Coleman, Ward, McCarthy).
    I suppose you are right.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 20/10/2010 at 1:14 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    That's a huge difference alright.
    same point as SwanVSDalton, why bring in an older player who might not make any difference to the team, when there are better long term options that need to be given a chance?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    there was a stat on football365 a few weeks ago that he took more throws than made passes in a game.
    Yeah, the same Guardian piece talked about how it was the first game of the season where he had significantly more passes than throws.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    same point as SwanVSDalton, why bring in an older player who might not make any difference to the team, when there are better long term options that need to be given a chance?
    I would be a lot less worried seeing Delap come off the bench rather than McShane. He's still playing at the highest level in England week in week out which is more than can be said about most of our current starting 11.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I would be a lot less worried seeing Delap come off the bench rather than McShane. He's still playing at the highest level in England week in week out which is more than can be said about most of our current starting 11.
    McShane and Delap don't play the same position? I was thinking more along the lines of McCarthy and Meyler.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    He's played right full and he's played left midfield, so theoretically he could do a job at left back. Cant be any worse than Killer.
    I don't know why people keep saying this as if it makes an ounce of sense. Killer's the weak link in our defence but he's a decent player at any level.

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    because the older player is considerably better than the younger players who are playing in his position in the team currently.

i get your point about bringin in the youngsters for the future and agree with you. wilson mcarthy meyler gibson should be in the squad.

my point is that delap is better than green ,whelan

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Delap should be in the squad, no question. If we need a goal late one he's well worth throwing on at right midfield and seeing what happens, just for his long throw ability. Can't believe we haven't been taking advantage of his freakish talents.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Because Stoke have 7 or 8 huge lads who can compete for every header. We have maybe 3 or 4 on any given matchday. Not to say he wouldn't be useful but he's a fairly limited player in other ways, especially when you look at our other wide midfield options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Because Stoke have 7 or 8 huge lads who can compete for every header. We have maybe 3 or 4 on any given matchday. Not to say he wouldn't be useful but he's a fairly limited player in other ways, especially when you look at our other wide midfield options.
    In spite of our supposed lack of height/weight, an awful lot of our goals come from set pieces. I don't think they confirmed it with reference to any statistics or anything, but I think someone said on here the other day that while about 50% of our goals recently have come from Robbie Keane, the other half have been scored as a result of set pieces, so it's not as if his throw-ins would be ineffective, assuming those figures are true. Whether that's an argument for Delap's inclusion overall, I'm not quite sure yet, ha. Maybe as a last-gasp Gary Doherty type? It is quite an ability, even if ridiculously unconventional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think Delap's throw-ins are really the same as free-kicks and corners though. Stoke usually score either after a flick-on or from the second ball. I don't think we really have big/strong enough players to put that much pressure on goalkeepers and defenders.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast