Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Away support dwindling

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Away support dwindling

Theres a good chance we have no bus for Pats.Ive read a few things about conference fans in England complaining about Setanta's coverage of their league,they get games changed to midweek to facilitate Setanta.This means in some case's away fans have to travel hundreds of miles during the week which is crazy.I never really understood this because it didnt happen here,but lately ive noticed our away support is dwindiling.In Galway we had 100 maybe and the season before we had over 300 down there,this game was om tg4.Against Shams in the league we have maybe 30-40 and a month earlier we had over 300 for the cup,this game was on tg4.There should be a few car loads and the DSC on Sunday,its going to look a disgace on tele.Football is for fans not tv
    Last edited by deecay; 20/08/2008 at 11:10 PM.
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hopefully I will be at the game on Sunday, but at the minute I cannot afford to pay 30 euro plus for matches on the bus.

Whatever about anyone else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deecay View Post
    .football is for fans not tv
    take note sligoman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red&White Rover View Post
    Hopefully I will be at the game on Sunday, but at the minute I cannot afford to pay 30 euro plus for matches on the bus.

Whatever about anyone else...
    Being a student aswell I know how hard it is financially and im in no way critising people,who am I to tell people what to spend their money on.Im just stating a trend
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I couldn't believe it when for the shams game of all games there wasnt enough for a bus.
    Looks like it will be the same for Pats, which is strange considering we had no problem getting a 52 seater at start of the season.
    I know well myself the cost of travelling to the games with petrol prices, tickets, food and all that, but its the players that lose out with the lack of support really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    On a slightly different tip, the Pats game is one that I was going to head home for but at the last minute before booking a flight and bed for the night a commitment came up in London on the Sat morning so I didn't go ahead with it. A couple of weeks later the game moved from Friday to Sunday - something that would've put me over a £100 out of pocket... The coverage the league gets from TV nowadays is fantastic compared to what it wa until very recently but as someone said if the grounds are empty it looks awful.
    Plus, from a personal POV, if a game can change with a few weeks notice it makes it a lot more difficult for me to book flights home to games - as you can guess, Friday flights from London to (say) Dublin are best booked well in advance!
    Keep on keepin' on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Sure what about last season with Shams in the Cup? There was well over 100 of us there in June, but maybe 30 there for the league game in October.
    The difference that I can see is the Cup is do or die, while the league game was a typical end of season affair with nothing to play for.
    As well as that, at least last year there was a genuine belief that we could take something from away games. Since the player exodus this year, people know that we're going to find wins and points hard to come by on the road. In all honesty, it would be a miracle to even draw against Pats this Sunday. Perhaps this convinces folk to stay away?
    You've also gotta factor in people on holidays (and thus being short of disposable cash) and the 'R' word.
    Just trying to think of some valid points here, not trying to "justify" it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redtildead View Post
    which is strange considering we had no problem getting a 52 seater at start of the season.
    It's not strange really, Pat's away earlier was the season opener so naturally more would be up for it. Our squad is poorer now and this game is one we'll be doing well to even score in so there would be a lot less interest. Then you have the addition of it being on tv this time around.

Not saying it's right but that's the way it is.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Its the same for most teams playing in the league. At the start of the season we were averaging 50 plus at away game but now as the season has progressed we are down to 20 or so travelling every week.
    For the cup match in Galway we brought 200 plus which would be great if we could do that every week.

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    im not trying using this as an excuse, but the 7 o clock kick off on a sunday evening is not going suit a lot people who might like to travel up, especially when they can have a pint and just watch if on tv.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    im not trying using this as an excuse, but the 7 o clock kick off on a sunday evening is not going suit a lot people who might like to travel up, especially when they can have a pint and just watch if on tv.
    And a Friday evening at 7.45 in Drogheda,Cork or Dublin suits travelling fans beter?
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Surely it suits more than 7.45 on a friday?

EDIT: what deecay said
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    redobit has a point,
    I myself would be more inclinded to travel to a Friday night game rather than a sunday. friday night is the start of the weekend & most people are off work the next day whereas sunday is spent doing family things(i have a young family) and getting ready for monday morning, creche lunches etc. Coming back from Dublin at 12 o'clock on a sunday night is a bit of a non runner for a lot of guys in that situation.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deecay View Post
    And a Friday evening at 7.45 in Drogheda,Cork or Dublin suits travelling fans beter?
    For me, friday nite away games works better. The boss will let me take a half day and work it in on saturday instead.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    sure youd be back by 12.30am monday morning, sure thats early!

the fact the game is on TV wil affect the crowds, although i cant watch Rovers on TV, always feel like im missing out on something. And we thought TV coverage for the EL was poisitive! phhfftt!!

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Wink

less numbers means we all just have to sing a bit louder

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers1 View Post
    although i cant watch Rovers on TV, always feel like im missing out on something.
    That exactly how I feel
    RIP JOHNNY

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I hate watching games on TV it's killing football get out and SUPPORT your local team

http://file041a.bebo.com/2/large/200...929486120l.jpg
    Misfits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Johnny McDonnell isn't too thrilled about Sunday games either.

That Bray game was the last time Pats played a home game on a Friday night and McDonnell told stpatsfc.com that it is far from ideal.

“Our set up is aimed at getting people ready for matches during the week but the week staggers along when you’re waiting for a game from Sunday to Sunday.

“I know some games are moved because of European games but moving the games for TV can cause problems. We only had about 1800 at the Drogheda game a couple of weeks ago and there’s no doubt that if it had been played on the Friday we’d have had a much bigger crowd.

“It’s great having better exposure for the league but the money we get for moving a game doesn’t always compensate the loss on the gate and as a result the loss in atmosphere.

"The simple fact is that people have to get up for work on a Monday morning and their few bob for the weekend could be gone by Sunday night and it’s having an affect on us.”

Sunday’s game is being broadcast live on Setanta Ireland and kick off is at 7 p.m.