Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Andy Reid's exclusion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Charlton were in 3rd place when he got injured again just before Christmas. It didn't put Keane off signing him and Charlton slipped down to 11th without him.
    Just on that, Charlton only lost 1 away games when Andy Reid played until he left, after he was gone, they only had 2 more away wins all season!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Very interesting comments from Trap on Reid, Murphy, Long and Keogh.

The manager also had encouraging words for players who have not yet broken into what is becoming an increasingly settled first XI – including Irish football’s latest cause celebre, Andy Reid.

“I know from when I played football what it’s like to sit on the bench – and I was never happy. Before Wednesday’s game I had on a piece of paper in my pocket three changes I might make during the match – for example Andy Reid for one striker. But I have 30 years’ experience and I knew that if we lost the support that (Robbie) Keane and (Kevin) Doyle were giving to our midfield it might be a problem. I thought also about bringing on (Daryl) Murphy because his style is different. But that’s normal – before every game I write who might come in for someone else but then, on the pitch itself, it’s not always possible to make those changes.

“In future, we will look at other players – maybe in the friendly game against Poland. We might look at (Shane) Long and (Andy) Keogh, say. For that reason it’s very important that the young players, in particular, get games for their clubs.”

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post

If you've watched Reid this season, you'd know that he's started every single game and was only taken off once (with a few minutes to go). Whatever people say about his physique, there are ZERO issues with his fitness.
    I've seen plenty of Andy Reid over the last 5 years or so (going back to his Forest days). He paces himself very well in most games and as a result he can maintain his level of passing and distribution during a game. However, if you ask him to play box-to-box during a game - helping out his defence as well as creating up front - his legs will not last 90 minutes. He showed this in Croke Park last campaign in more than one game. Great skill but the guy is not fit and hasn't been since before he joined Spurs.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Very interesting comments from Trap on Reid, Murphy, Long and Keogh.

The manager also had encouraging words for players who have not yet broken into what is becoming an increasingly settled first XI – including Irish football’s latest cause celebre, Andy Reid.

“I know from when I played football what it’s like to sit on the bench – and I was never happy. Before Wednesday’s game I had on a piece of paper in my pocket three changes I might make during the match – for example Andy Reid for one striker. But I have 30 years’ experience and I knew that if we lost the support that (Robbie) Keane and (Kevin) Doyle were giving to our midfield it might be a problem. I thought also about bringing on (Daryl) Murphy because his style is different. But that’s normal – before every game I write who might come in for someone else but then, on the pitch itself, it’s not always possible to make those changes.

“In future, we will look at other players – maybe in the friendly game against Poland. We might look at (Shane) Long and (Andy) Keogh, say. For that reason it’s very important that the young players, in particular, get games for their clubs.”
    Interesting quote - worth putting in the Trap Quotes thread. Gives a good insight into what he was thinking and it's great that someone saw fit to publish it.

"Stan, what substitutions could you have made?"

"You tell me?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

“I know from when I played football what it’s like to sit on the bench – and I was never happy. Before Wednesday’s game I had on a piece of paper in my pocket three changes I might make during the match – for example Andy Reid for one striker. But I have 30 years’ experience and I knew that if we lost the support that (Robbie) Keane and (Kevin) Doyle were giving to our midfield it might be a problem.
    I'm delighted to hear that Andy Reid is very definitely in his plans. I was a bit worried since he didn't get a run in the past two games.

Though I find it very interesting that he keeps talking about Andy Reid playing off another striker. This isn't his usual position. He plays deep in midfield more often than not, taking the ball off the defence and pulling the strings. I still think he'd do very well in that position where he'd be able to pick holes in the defence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    He plays deep in midfield more often than not, taking the ball off the defence and pulling the strings. I still think he'd do very well in that position where he'd be able to pick holes in the defence.
    I think he'd play well in that position too. Unfortunately for him, that's Glenn Whelan's position now, and is his to lose, rather than Reid's to gain.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Though I find it very interesting that he keeps talking about Andy Reid playing off another striker. This isn't his usual position. He plays deep in midfield more often than not, taking the ball off the defence and pulling the strings. I still think he'd do very well in that position where he'd be able to pick holes in the defence.
    It's where he excelled for Charlton, and he's at his best for Sunderland in a five man midfield.

Lads, Reid cannot play deep. He can't tackle and isn't sharp enough off the ball.. Did you see him against City?? I seen that before from him for Ireland and Charlton.

I'd start him if it was me but now it seems Reid is competing with Robbie Keane now for a place in the team.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Lads, Reid cannot play deep. He can't tackle and isn't sharp enough off the ball..
    Pirlo...

David Dunn and Reid played together a lot in a 4-4-2. I don't think Dunn is great defensively.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Pirlo...

David Dunn and Reid played together a lot in a 4-4-2. I don't think Dunn is great defensively.
    Eh.......... I think he meant Andy Reid...........

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Reid dropped by Sunderland to the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Reid dropped by Sunderland to the bench.
    I also see Roy Keane has decided not to criticise Trap over Reid's exclusion from Irelands starting eleven.

"Mr Trapattoni has gone down a certain route with his choice of players and Jesus Christ, with his CV and experience, there's no way I'm going to question him," quipped Keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Eh.......... I think he meant Andy Reid...........
    If Steven Reid can play well with David Dunn in a 4-4-2 I think he can do the same with Andy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    I also see Roy Keane has decided not to criticise Trap over Reid's exclusion from Irelands starting eleven.

"Mr Trapattoni has gone down a certain route with his choice of players and Jesus Christ, with his CV and experience, there's no way I'm going to question him," quipped Keane.
    Thank heavens Keane has a bit of respect for someone else besides Whiskey Nose.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Keane! Is this the same guy who villified Staunton for not having LIAM MILLER in the squad.

Maybe the penny has dropped and Keane knows the Irish public have copped on that the only people he slates are those he still holds bitter resentment for over Saipan, McCarthy, the FAI, Given, Staunton, McAteer etc......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Reid only played 23 minutes yesterday and got 1 bonus point in the fantasy football. I think he played a part in both goals.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Reid on bench again for Sunderland with Miller taking his place. The wheels seem to have come off for Andy in the last few weeks. Strange one as he came off the bench for Sunderland last week and changed the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Stokes on the bench too, equally puzzling seeing as he scored twice midweek, both from Reid assists

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Reid on bench again for Sunderland with Miller taking his place. The wheels seem to have come off for Andy in the last few weeks. Strange one as he came off the bench for Sunderland last week and changed the game.
    He took a knock in the Northampton game, that's why he's not playing.

As for Stokes? He's not even on Keane's radar these days. I would say that the pecking order goes something like this.

1. Cisse
    2. Chopra
    3. Healy
    4. Murphy
    5. Stokes

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Actually Keane has already said that Clough was by far the best manager he worked under, that must annoy whisky nose

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    He took a knock in the Northampton game, that's why he's not playing.

As for Stokes? He's not even on Keane's radar these days. I would say that the pecking order goes something like this.

1. Cisse
    2. Chopra
    3. Healy
    4. Murphy
    5. Stokes
    Stokes came on as sub today as did Reid and Murphy. I thought all 3 played poorly. Reid had one great free kick but gave the ball away a lot.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678