Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Reid's exclusion

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    If we did play a 5-man midfield, it would mean Robbie Keane acting like a target man, which he clearly isn't. The 5-man midfield only really works when you have someone like Drogba to aim at, someone who can win the ball in the air, hold up play, as well as score
    I think it could work.

With A. Reid and Whelan you have two players who are capable of playing in front of the back four. S. Reid would be box-to-box. With more protection in midfield the wingers would not have to track back as much and would be able to offer support to Keane. It would work very well on the counter- don't think it could be used against the top sides though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Reid was definitely my motm for Sunderland tonight. Was still working hard in extra time.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    yeah, he was brilliant tonight. he ran more than anyone on the pitch, played some great passes, slowed the game down when he needed to and he did a lot of great defensive work, breaking up play, being strong and making good tackles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    were any of the management team at it?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    were any of the management team at it?
    If they were, they weren't picked up on by the cameras, but then, the cameras generally only pick up on English management i.e Capello etc. (who does seem to go to a lot of games as should be expected)

Agree with Eirebhoy that Reid was excellent v Notts Forest...he was all ove the pitch in the first 10 minutes.

Compare to Liam Miller who was rubbish and gave the ball away like it was carrying a disease (Brady rates Miller highly as far as a I know which astounds me)

Andy Reid is the future and needs to be in the side. I thought Staunton was back when I saw the starting 11 v Norway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Brady rates Miller highly as far as a I know which astounds me
    If Brady had his way he'd build the team around Reid imo so I don't really think it makes too much difference who Brady rates.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I like Andy Reid and think he should start for us... But if you have seen yesterdays performance against city you'll see why I don't want him playing deep alongside Steven Reid... His tackling made Paul Scholes look like Paul McGrath...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I like Andy Reid and think he should start for us... But if you have seen yesterdays performance against city you'll see why I don't want him playing deep alongside Steven Reid... His tackling made Paul Scholes look like Paul McGrath...
    hear hear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    If we started with Reid & Reid, it would reverse the roles from Norway, i.e. Andy Reid in the Steven Reid creative role and Steven Reid in the Glen Whelan enforcer and ball winner role
    Given that Trap is going to have two forced changes from that game (Kilbane and Duff), how willing would he be to make an unforced change? I keep thinking back to the Israel 2-2 game when Kerr made effectively 2 changes to the side by moving Duff up front, and bringing on Kavanagh, instead of just bringing on Elliott or Doherty for Robbie Keane. The unforced change there (moving Duff) completely unbalanced the side, and the rest is history.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 01/09/2008 at 1:49 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If Trap follows on from what we have seen so far then he should be playing Hunt in place of Duff.
    With Trap ready to play Miller instead of Stephen Reid in the Norway game there would appear to be no place atm for Andy Reid starting a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Hunt has to start and I'd keep him on the left. No point changing everything around for the sake of things. I cannot even see Reidy getting a run out unless we're 3 nil up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Soon we will reach the nirvana of having a team that picks itself.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Eleven-a-side are reporting that Trap is suggesting Keogh to fill in for Duff... But he then says THIS :

“I started in this job with a particular system and I want to continue. We have good wide players - [Aiden] McGeady, Hunt, Keogh and Duff - they are a very important part of the team.”

So he doesn't see Andy Reid as a wide player... but we know from the last game that he doesn't see him as a possibility in the centre either... why is he bringing him along with the squad at all then???

Maybe Andy is only seen as a possible for the just behind the lone striker position... ?? Where he's behind Keane... and Ireland if he comes back...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Hunt has to start and I'd keep him on the left. No point changing everything around for the sake of things. I cannot even see Reidy getting a run out unless we're 3 nil up.
    Totally agree. Well said!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    If Trap's selections work ie we win both upcoming games then there is a possibility A.Reid will be a peripheral figure in this squad. According to Trap's comments yesteday Hunt, McGeady, Keogh and (Miller(previous Trap comments) are ahead of Reid if we play 2 upfront. I hope Trap knows what he's doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The only thing that McGeady, Duff, Hunt and Keogh all have that Reid doesn't is a bit pace. I'm guessing Trap is thinking a lot about the counter attack and Reid just wouldn't be quick enough to get himself up the other end of the pitch after a period of defending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    The only thing that McGeady, Duff, Hunt and Keogh all have that Reid doesn't is a bit pace. I'm guessing Trap is thinking a lot about the counter attack and Reid just wouldn't be quick enough to get himself up the other end of the pitch after a period of defending.
    If we're planning on counter-attacking against Georgia on neutral ground, this is going to be one long campaign.

This kind of fixture requires an attacking lineup- I'd go with a 4-4-2 with the two Reids in the middle.

Leaving Andy out against these weaker sides could be the difference between getting 1 point or all 3, as we really do lack creativity down the middle.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There should be a place found in the team for Andy Reid at any cost.He is one of the best players Ireland have.I think it will show how good Trap really is if he plays imo a weaker team against Georgia and wins the game.I really think he is leaving himself open for a lot of Criticism if he doesn’t. Lets hope he uses the best options.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya ye have to feel for andy reid.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    morelikely it's about getting back down the pitch quickly, closing down players and chasing loose balls when we don't have posession, not getting up the pitch on the counter attack. Reid is a better play on the ball, but Hunt will work harder when we don't have it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast