Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism from Galway United support!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Angry Racism from Galway United support!

Unsure if this has been discussed or not, but have just found out about Galway United being fined for racist abuse of one of our players, mauro almeida. He was racially abused while giving the post match interview on receiving man of the match and as the match is was on television and still on the TG4 site i looked it up to see could anything be heard.

As clear as day more than one fan can be heard on live television asking our player "Did he want a banana" and what worried me was that their was laughter after each comment from a wider crowd which makes it a little harder to say that it was one fool. It seemed that the GUFC fans had come down to cheer their manager when he was about to give his interview and therefore this person should easily be found out.

Racism should not be tolerated and i am honestly shocked at the fine being as little as €300?

the footage of the incident is here at 2hrs and 11minutes in,
    http://www.tg4.tv/channels/SportArch...57&title=Sacar Beo -11/7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by celticV3 View Post
    Unsure if this has been discussed or not, but have just found out about Galway United being fined for racist abuse of one of our players, mauro almeida. He was racially abused while giving the post match interview on receiving man of the match and as the match is was on television and still on the TG4 site i looked it up to see could anything be heard.

As clear as day more than one fan can be heard on live television asking our player "Did he want a banana" and what worried me was that their was laughter after each comment from a wider crowd which makes it a little harder to say that it was one fool. It seemed that the GUFC fans had come down to cheer their manager when he was about to give his interview and therefore this person should easily be found out.

Racism should not be tolerated and i am honestly shocked at the fine being as little as €300?

the footage of the incident is here at 2hrs and 11minutes in,
    http://www.tg4.tv/channels/SportArch...57&title=Sacar Beo -11/7
    prob all they could afford right now.
    prob just some ignorant fool - there everywhere

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    prob all they could afford right now.
    prob just some ignorant fool - there everywhere
    But thats the thing, i thought the same but on seing the footage it's clearly more than one person shouting and there is an eruption of laughter after the first few comments from a wider group?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I watched it just now, was kinda hoping I wouldn't actually hear anything, but it's there alright.

€300 is a mockery. No player should have to put up with racial abuse like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Surely a more heavy fine would have been inforced, So much for Galway's Show Racism The Red Card campaign.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Reckon there might be an element of fans doing Galway a disservice.

I was there as a UCD fan (yes we do exist) last week and was subjected to vicious anti-dublin abuse. I'm well able to take a bit of banter but this was felt like real hatred. My mate was also jostled and called Dublin scrum dublin *****s etc when Galway scored. Actually left the stand before the end cause it was so bad and thought if Galway scored we'd get hopped on!

Sure its just a few bad eggs but they need to have a look at this. €300 is a total joke by the way. That fan should be banned for life and his mates who cracked up laughing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanace View Post
    Reckon there might be an element of fans doing Galway a disservice.

I was there as a UCD fan (yes we do exist) last week and was subjected to vicious anti-dublin abuse. I'm well able to take a bit of banter but this was felt like real hatred. My mate was also jostled and called Dublin scrum dublin *****s etc when Galway scored. Actually left the stand before the end cause it was so bad and thought if Galway scored we'd get hopped on!

Sure its just a few bad eggs but they need to have a look at this. €300 is a total joke by the way. That fan should be banned for life and his mates who cracked up laughing.
    Now I was not at the Sligo match so it is hard for me to comment but every club has it's idiots which I am sorry to say .
    As for the UCD boys who were at the game at Terryland I was shocked why they were let in the main stand in the first place as we have section F in the small stand for the away surpporters . But saying that again I do not condone any form of racist abuse and with my English accent I have been on the reciveing end of it far too many times in Ireland in the past .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    What a shower of idiots. "You're not from Sligo" "Do you want a banana?"

Absolutely disgusting and it doesn't sound like children either so you can't even use their 'young age' as an excuse.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Aside from GUST pointing out the culprits (if they know them) there isn't much GUFC can do about it I'm afraid. It's a shame the TG4 cameraman didn't pan onto the Galway idiot and the laughing sheep and shame them on national television to be honest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Unforunately there are complete scumbags who carry on this way. Remember it happening to our striker Emeka Onwubiko up in sligo last season. A group of about 4 or 5 lads around the 16-20 age group gave him awfull abuse, and these "hardmen" ran off like the little cowards they were and hid when we pointed this out to the stewards on duty. Its a real shame cos that kind of thing really ruins your enjoyment of the game. No fcuking need for that crap
    I'd love to invent a time machine then go back in time and win the lottery, buy new players and a stadium. Time machines are brilliant aren't they- Ian Holloway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Seen it on Tg4 there.

More than just one fool involved quite clearly.

Absolutely disgraceful from Galway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I'm gutted. The scum who shouted such abuse and those laughing should get lifetime bans. There is no excuse for such behaviour and neither is there any excuse for not naming and shaming those involved. I would appeal to all genuine fans who may know those involved to pass their names onto the club.
    If YOU are not part of the solution,
    YOU ARE part of the problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    not surprised at all really. a nation of racists we are. it could have happened with any fanase in this country (well maybe not ucd). its disgusting behaviour. one of the few things i can't actually stand. think thats bad? a drogheda fan was given a lifetime ban for abusing ibrahima thiam at united park!!! the mind boggles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    Now I was not at the Sligo match so it is hard for me to comment but every club has it's idiots which I am sorry to say .
    As for the UCD boys who were at the game at Terryland I was shocked why they were let in the main stand in the first place as we have section F in the small stand for the away surpporters . But saying that again I do not condone any form of racist abuse and with my English accent I have been on the reciveing end of it far too many times in Ireland in the past .
    Surely the bit in bold is irrelevant? why is it a big deal that a few away supporters be allowed in the main stand? Its not as if there was hundreds of them and surely they could have expected to watch the match in peace?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Iwouldn't say we are a nation of racists. If there were 1000 people at the galway game and 5 of them started this you cannot say that Galway fans are racist. It's sickening when it happens but people who shout this sh*t in my opinion are of low intelligence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    If the club knows who these people are, they must be banned and really should be named and shamed by the announcer at their next game. They deserve nothing less, and a whole lot worse.

Almeida is such a genuine player, he always acknowledges the Rovers supporters before and after every game. He has nothing but my respect and support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    its an absolute disgrace and the people who did this are moronic idiots and deserve nothing less than being banned for life and named and shamed. these people have absolutely no place in any football ground or anywhere else in society. they're a disgrace.
    Homer: I'm gonna make sure these deliveries are made on time.
    Bart: Let me come with you
    Homer: Dont you have school!
    Bart: Dont you have work!
    Homer: Ah Touche!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    Surely a more heavy fine would have been inforced, So much for Galway's Show Racism The Red Card campaign.
    So they shouldnt bother with Show Racism the Red Card if one or 2 idiots are stupid enough to ignore it? In my opinion it is even more important for them to continue to promote this and this is something Dundalk know too well themselves and why Paul Johnson and Daniel Walsh are doing vital work and this needs to continue.

Racism in the game is rare thankfully but it is something that will need effort continuously if it is to be erradicated totally. Its great that so many people on here can see that these lowlifes were wrong and its positives like that which will help drive the campaign on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Surely the bit in bold is irrelevant? why is it a big deal that a few away supporters be allowed in the main stand? Its not as if there was hundreds of them and surely they could have expected to watch the match in peace?
    Qusstion Why do we have segregation at soccer games ? When the away fans go into the home section at a match what do you expect people to come up to you with a bunch of flowers ???
    Also remember United were one nil and and playing with 10 men after 12 minutes so you can imagine how everybody was feeling at that time , ohh sorry apart from the 40 UCD fans that is .

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I wouldn't expect segregation at UCD v anyone. In most grounds at most games fans can mix, especially in the main stand.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast