Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andy O'Brien not Returning

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    He took some flak after the Cyprus game but nowhere near as much as Kenny. How Finnan and others - especially that pr1ck Ireland - escaped without huge criticism that day is beyond me. I'd even say that Kenny was a long way from being the villain in that game, his crucial saves early on and just on the stroke of half time could have been significant if the 10 gimps ahead of him hadn't been so crap on the night. My suspicion is that Stan immunised the "star" players from criticism and, in a cowardly manner, came down harder on the less celebrated players or those with weaker personalities. He didn't want to upset the "lads".

I think many in our ranks aren't prepared to accept that we haven't as many illustrious players as in the past and refuse to recognise when some of the decent enough players we do have put in long runs of good performances as AO'B did, mainly alongside Cunningham I think. Tets / eirebhoy will correct me quickly if I'm wrong!
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 14/08/2008 at 1:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah the biggest problem with the game against Cyprus was the Ireland Kilbane partnership. Neither of them were anywhere in that game and gave no protection to the back four and never controlled the game. Centrail midfield is the engine room of the team and Staunton to me get should and did get most of the flak for that performance. It was a game lost the minute the team sheet was handed in.
    In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Pity he's gone, but retiring at 28 is a disgrace. Some good performances in the 06 World Cup Qualifying Campaign, and we could have done with his experience at CB.

However, if it's the Cyprus thing, you'd think he'd come back and try to prove himself with a good performance. The debacle will leave a bitter tate for everyone it seems. Did I read somewhere that Staunton didn't want to play him (and start McShane instead) as he was out of form (and hadn't played for Portsmouth so far that season), but Robson told him to go with O'Brien?

Hopefully St. Ledger can step up now, and become a squad regular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmo View Post
    However, if it's the Cyprus thing, you'd think he'd come back and try to prove himself with a good performance. The debacle will leave a bitter tate for everyone it seems. Did I read somewhere that Staunton didn't want to play him (and start McShane instead) as he was out of form (and hadn't played for Portsmouth so far that season), but Robson told him to go with O'Brien?
    Staunton actually came out and said that so no wonder he was annoyed. Still though, Stan's gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Pity he's gone, but retiring at 28 is a disgrace. Some good performances in the 06 World Cup Qualifying Campaign, and we could have done with his experience at CB.

St Ledger was on the bench in Cyprus and McShane in the stand. McShane leapfrogged into the team with Dunne's suspension for the Czech game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    If we are fortunate enough to qualify and through a bizarre set of circumstances had a centre back crisis pre-world cup, would the no be as affirmative then if he was asked back? He probably reckons we aren't going to qualify, so it's no real loss to him. He probably just wants to get himself sorted at club level as well.
    'And Crouch must score'

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Joey O'Brien on Newstalk reckons Andy O'Brien still may come back...

I dunno. Him and steven Ireland are worse than Ross and Rachel!!! Will they, won't they??
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=823866

Andy O''Brien named in the first premiership team of the week. Doesn't sound like he's playing so "average" does it?
    doesnt really matter to us if he makes team of the season
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We'll "find out the real reason in 10 years"?

God, I can hardly wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think the better Andy O Brien plays the more he will think it is due to him not playing international football. I think we will miss him as we have feck all cover at centre back. He is certainly in our top 3 centre backs behind Dunne and vying with O Shea as the second centre back.
    In Trap we trust

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    O'Shea looked off the pace against Newcastle yesterday. Schoolboy error stuff when he ball watched allowing Martin's a free header from a corner in the second half. Itis a pity A O'B is not making himself available as at least there would be some competition for the place alongside Dunne. Does anyone how serious Richard Dunne's injury is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Does anyone how serious Richard Dunne's injury is?
    He's got a suspension from last year, that's why he didn't play this weekend (think he's suspended for this weekend as well if I'm not mistaken).

Healthy as far as I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    He's got a suspension from last year, that's why he didn't play this weekend (think he's suspended for this weekend as well if I'm not mistaken).

Healthy as far as I know.
    Yeah, he's suspended for the opening 3 games of the Premiership season, after picking up a straight red in the last game of last season against Middlesbrough.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

I don't believe this from Stan, if so why wasn't McShane on the bench v Cyprus.

Stan decision to play McShane v the Czech Republic was unfair on St Ledger who was close to starting at RB v Cyprus.

I stand by, that St Ledger is by far the better player and should be given a chance in the squad, unlikely to happen though whilst DG is having imput.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    The more players available for selection the better so it is a loss to lose a player regularly playing in the premiership at the prime of his career. He was singled out something terrible by Stan but seeing as he is now gone i cant see why that would still be the reason why he hasnt returned. Ive read reports from everyone from club mates to his dad that they reckon he will return in the future. Would like to see him back but would prefer to have a squad of players who really want to play for us as opposed to having 4/5 in the squad that arent that bothered.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...ws.asp?n=33625

Joey feels the former Newcastle United and Portsmouth defender, whose 26th and last Irish cap came in the humiliating 5-2 defeat to Cyprus in 2006, may feature again for Ireland.

He said: “I’m quite close to Andy, I’ve got to know him over the last season and I’d class him as a friend at this stage. I think the door is still open to be honest.

“I think he has a few things to sort out with Bolton so hopefully he’ll come back at some stage in the next few games.”

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So he is going to wait ands see where we stand half way through the group matches ,and if there is a chance to qualify he will make himself available.Thanks but no thanks Mr O’ Brien.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12