Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Norway v Republic of Ireland - pre-match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Murphy is better than Doyle and Keane. Watch Robbie keane tonight and see how bad he is. I don't think people on here realise how bad Keane is.

Reid is a class act and should be on. Cannot make sense of Miller playing.

The defense picked itself, glad to see Kilbane on instead of Delaney. Thats Eire's strongest defence tonight.

I think Ireland will probably lose tonight. I am basing this on the following reasons:

1. Keane and Doyle cannot score and you need a tall strong striker on against the Norwegians.

2. McGeady has been caught out on the beer and his performances for Celthick reflect this. Duff's best days are behind him. I don't need to say anything about the central midfielders. Its weak!

If Ireland score 1-1 or 2-1 Norway, otherwise we are looking at 2-0 Norway here I think.
    Last edited by finnpark; 20/08/2008 at 10:59 AM.
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Hopefully Reid comes on at half time for Miller and shows what he can do. Its a strange one alright but not going to lose the run of myself and condemn Il Trap yet.
    Brady is picking the team, you can see that. Its brady's team.
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    Brady is picking the team, you can see that. Its brady's team.
    Yeah I think Karen Brady is going to do a great job. I am glad she is on board.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Whelan shouldn't be on the squad let alone the team. Shocking choice. From what I've seen so far he's one of the worst players I've ever seen in an Irish shirt.
    I don't think that is very fair. The performances of the players against Cyprus and San Marino etc last year shows that these new players cannot do any worse. I think he deserves a chance. Miller on the other hand is a failure and he annoyingly gives a lot of frees away, particularly in dangerous positions.

The positives tonight is the return of Given and to a lesser extent Finnan.

It will be interesting to see what formation Trap adopts although it seems quite attacking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Whelan shouldn't be on the squad let alone the team. Shocking choice. From what I've seen so far he's one of the worst players I've ever seen in an Irish shirt.
    How many matches was that Ciaran.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Murphy is better than Doyle and Keane. Watch Robbie keane tonight and see how bad he is. I don't think people on here realise how bad Keane is.

Reid is a class act and should be on. Cannot make sense of Miller playing.

The defense picked itself, glad to see Kilbane on instead of Delaney. Thats Eire's strongest defence tonight.

I think Ireland will probably lose tonight. I am basing this on the following reasons:

1. Keane and Doyle cannot score and you need a tall strong striker on against the Norwegians.

2. McGeady has been caught out on the beer and his performances for Celthick reflect this. Duff's best days are behind him. I don't need to say anything about the central midfielders. Its weak!

If Ireland score 1-1 or 2-1 Norway, otherwise we are looking at 2-0 Norway here I think.

Last two games that Keane and Doyle have played together they have scored well Keane has scored, one against Wales and the other against Colombia.

Under Staunton they looked like strangers but with half bit of decent coaching and training they look like they could form a good partnership.

Than again you are a wind up merchant so best of luck to you.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Last two games that Keane and Doyle have played together they have scored well Keane has scored, one against Wales and the other against Colombia.

Under Staunton they looked like strangers but with half bit of decent coaching and training they look like they could form a good partnership.

Than again you are a wind up merchant so best of luck to you.
    I hope that you are right. im not a wind up merchant, Im just not afraid to be very critical where I think its due. We will see the great Keane tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I hope that you are right. im not a wind up merchant, Im just not afraid to be very critical where I think its due. We will see the great Keane tonight.
    he plays well in friendlies!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    he plays well in friendlies!!!
    Maybe so but perhaps someone can answer me this.

San Marino aside, how many goals did robbie score last qualification campaign?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I admit that Keane hasn't played well in his two competitive games for Liverpool but how you can say (as you did in the other thread) that Spurs were a better team without him last season is beyond me. He was excellent for them all last season and many of their fans considered him more important than Berbatov.

I also agree that he's been well below average for Ireland for most games since 2002 but I still believe under Trap that we'll see the best of him again. And if we do, he's far and away our best striker. I'm a fan of Murphy but he's still very much a work in progress - sometimes his touch is awkward and his finishing poor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah that why he cost 20 million.
    I can't believe people are questioning Traps selection he has a great record as a manager, he picked Miller for a reason whether its tactical or for a system, who cares. The Irish team picks itself mostly, defenders pick themself ,so do the strikers, he only really has a choice when it comes to the midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    I admit that Keane hasn't played well in his two competitive games for Liverpool but how you can say (as you did in the other thread) that Spurs were a better team without him last season is beyond me. He was excellent for them all last season and many of their fans considered him more important than Berbatov.

I also agree that he's been well below average for Ireland for most games since 2002 but I still believe under Trap that we'll see the best of him again. And if we do, he's far and away our best striker. I'm a fan of Murphy but he's still very much a work in progress - sometimes his touch is awkward and his finishing poor.
    Hopefully you are right.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Maybe so but perhaps someone can answer me this.

San Marino aside, how many goals did robbie score last qualification campaign?
    how many goals under stan you mean? as if it was keane's fault! funny how he scored again after stan was sacked. and had no problem scoring at club level. you might almost come to the conclusion that keane wasnt best utilised by stan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    You really are a clown
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Too early to dismiss Whelan yet. Some of our now most established and experienced players didn't exactly burst onto the scene fully formed. Tonight could properly confirm if he's a real contender.
    Last edited by Wolfie; 20/08/2008 at 12:33 PM.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    S Reid Carlsey O'Brien Miller Whelen all competing for the defensive midfeild etc etc

Don't get me wrong. I want Reid to start every time and don't rate miller either. Just trying to find sense in the decision.
    Can't see Miller as a defensive player at all. He's more like Stephen Ireland - if the midfield is robust he can exploit space well, but if midfield isn't robust he's a liability. As said above, he always gives away cheap frees.

Andy Reid doesn't need midfield to be secured before he can add value in my opinion.

I can see Trapp's logic that central midfield needs more bite if we have Duff & McGeady out wide, but Miller isn't the answer IMO.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    FAI website says it'll be Steven Reid & Whelan. S. Reid has passed a late fitness test.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    .........Miller isn't the answer IMO.
    The annoying thing is that this isn't a temporary dip in form by Miller.

Miller has had various opportunities over the last 5 years to establish himself and has failed.

He has no presence and goes missing from games with regularity.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    FAI website says it'll be Steven Reid & Whelan. S. Reid has passed a late fitness test.
    Sound - that's a far better proposition than Miller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Ken Early was saying the same thing last night on NewsTalk, it would be Whelan plus Steven Reid or Miller, depending on how Reid injury responded.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast