Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concession fees

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Concession fees

What do people think of them? Helpful or not?

Personally speaking, I'm not really sure they do a lot of good. €5 for kids, €10 for students and OAPs, while the ordinary Joe who's been going for years gets shafted and has to pull out an extra fiver - no reward for his loyalty.

Yeah yeah, people harp on with, "oh, the kids are the next generation, they'll get hooked and come back and pay full price when they're in their 20s/30s." Do they, though? Most kids I see are just running up and down chasing each other, with about as much interest in the game as watching a documentary on painting a house.

Would adults still bring kids along if they had to pay full price for them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Kids running around is the most annoying thing at a game! It is 20 times worse at any GAA match i have been to. Solution would be to have adult/child joint ticket and they are seated, in other words nowhere to run around! If concessions are in place they have to stay...have you ever tried to convince a pensioner that there is no concession for them - they become quite aggressive as if you have removed some birth right! Students could probably afford full prices depending on which ground they are paying in to, this wouldnt apply to NUIG students as Terryland is expensive for everybody.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Students could probably afford full prices depending on which ground they are paying in to
    No they could not
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deecay View Post
    No they could not
    Third level students easily could. Secondary ones maybe not.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Kids running around is the most annoying thing at a game! It is 20 times worse at any GAA match i have been to. Solution would be to have adult/child joint ticket and they are seated, in other words nowhere to run around! If concessions are in place they have to stay...have you ever tried to convince a pensioner that there is no concession for them - they become quite aggressive as if you have removed some birth right! Students could probably afford full prices depending on which ground they are paying in to, this wouldnt apply to NUIG students as Terryland is expensive for everybody.
    why? its €15 into terryland without concession €10 for students , whats it at other grounds ,dont think its much cheaper than that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    seven euro for child/OAP in the carlisle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Totally agree that kids running around are a pain in the artz. However, I like to go to games with my sons (who aren't earning) so the concession makes a difference. Perhaps the compromise is under 16s having a concession for each paying adult with them

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post

Personally speaking, I'm not really sure they do a lot of good. €5 for kids, €10 for students and OAPs, while the ordinary Joe who's been going for years gets shafted and has to pull out an extra fiver - no reward for his loyalty.

Yeah yeah, people harp on with, "oh, the kids are the next generation, they'll get hooked and come back and pay full price when they're in their 20s/30s." Do they, though? Most kids I see are just running up and down chasing each other, with about as much interest in the game as watching a documentary on painting a house.

For the Jodi stand at Dalymount, its €20 for adults, €10 for students and €5 for u-16s/OAPs.

Clubs arent in a position to keep upping admission prices. A family of 4 going to a Bohs game could easily cost them the guts of €100 to attend a home game.

Its €50 to get in, its €15-20 for food, add in half time draw tickets, programme etc and the cost of getting from home to the ground and its an expensive night out.

No player in this league should be costing a club more then €60,000 for a full 12 month contract. The very reason they are in the eircom league to begin with is because they are average footballers. They simply arent worth anymore and the clubs simply dont have the means to generate more.

If I was a club chairman (Bohs for example) and a player and his agent told me he was getting offered 20% more by Drogheda I'd give him directions to the kip Drogheda play in.

Clubs are getting greedy and trying to squeeze more and mroe from the same hardcore numbers when the real problem is the stupid money being paid to the players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Third level students easily could. Secondary ones maybe not.
    Alot of third level students I know dont have €5 in their pocket
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Because they spend it on drink, that doesn't mean they can't afford LOI football, it might mean they have to sit at home once in a while but most could afford 15euro.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    While theres pubs and nightclubs students wont start going to LOI,how many students are in UCD and how many even go when its free entry?
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    While theres pubs and nightclubs students wont start going to LOI,how many students are in UCD and how many even go when its free entry?
    I'm not saying they'd go, just saying it's not true to say they can't afford it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Rubbish, a relatively large proportion of Shels support is made up of students.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohs til i die View Post
    For the Jodi stand at Dalymount, its €20 for adults, €10 for students and €5 for u-16s/OAPs.

Clubs arent in a position to keep upping admission prices. A family of 4 going to a Bohs game could easily cost them the guts of €100 to attend a home game.

Its €50 to get in, its €15-20 for food, add in half time draw tickets, programme etc and the cost of getting from home to the ground and its an expensive night out.

No player in this league should be costing a club more then €60,000 for a full 12 month contract. The very reason they are in the eircom league to begin with is because they are average footballers. They simply arent worth anymore and the clubs simply dont have the means to generate more.

If I was a club chairman (Bohs for example) and a player and his agent told me he was getting offered 20% more by Drogheda I'd give him directions to the kip Drogheda play in.

Clubs are getting greedy and trying to squeeze more and mroe from the same hardcore numbers when the real problem is the stupid money being paid to the players.

Honest post, problem is most EL people ignore the truth, too much paid out, not enough coming in.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I guess when you where a child you never ran round when you went to a match! Ya It can be annoyn but thats Kids.Very few of them are actually in the way.
    As for the concessation I have 4 boys I bring to the games so the concession prices do help. If I had to go and pay full price for them I would not be able to afford to go. And Im one of these long loyal(joe Soaps) fans that goes to every game for the last 30yrs.I dont mind paying €15 What goes round comes round when you have your own family you will see the beneifit from it.Also not many old age pensioners wud go if they had to pay full price.Look at the bigger picture not all the kids will come back in the future but some will so to have there now is the clubs future.How many of the Ultras would go if there was no concessions.
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    prices in general in the league need to be looked at in relation to the standard of football €15 is way to much in first division.

the concession do help it makes it a more affordable family event in relation to going to Croke Park for the day to support your county team. which for all clubs is something that needs to be pushed. Not all GAA fans will go to soccer games but a lot will and we have a lot of double up in Wexford of people who do both.
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    A lot of 3rd level students I know have double that stashed in the form of drink when they come into eircom league grounds. However, I think at Student age is when people really become hooked so I would leave the student concession there.

If you take away the consession on the children that run around, you are more than likely taking away the adult that brought them. However clubs should do away with straight concessions and have adult + child(ren) tickets (at the full price + concession ticket price) to stop the dump and run parents. If they're old enough to go the match on their own, their old enough to pay at least student prices.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    That's simply not true. As others have stated, they spend it all on drink, and then cry about being 'poor students'. The working man has mortgages, car loans, car running costs, home insurance, putting kids through school, etc etc, yet he can afford the €15.

If students drank 4 less pints a week, they could get in for the full price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Some students, not all mind you, do find money tight, and not necessary because of alcohol spend. IMO, all grounds should have student prices. I think €10 is fair enough.
    On that note, it's €5 at Cobh for students (€15). Actually felt a bit guilty paying, like I was stealing from them for something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    That's simply not true. As others have stated, they spend it all on drink, and then cry about being 'poor students'. The working man has mortgages, car loans, car running costs, home insurance, putting kids through school, etc etc, yet he can afford the €15.

If students drank 4 less pints a week, they could get in for the full price.
    What a load of crap. The "working man" has an income, whereas a lot of students don't. Of course there should be concessions for students and OAPs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast