Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Because i'm a coward!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It won't go ahead if there is a risk of the game being bombed or anything like that so you are grand.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    It won't go ahead if there is a risk of the game being bombed or anything like that so you are grand.
    Well, thats true. We'll see!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    From Fifa website:

FIFA has confirmed it is monitoring the situation in Georgia, who are scheduled to host Republic of Ireland in a 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ qualifier on 6 September in Tbilisi.

"FIFA is closely monitoring the situation in Georgia. We are in regular contact with both member associations concerned for that match. However, at this time it is too early to speculate on any possibilities," read a FIFA statement.

Group 8 of the UEFA Zone preliminaries to South Africa 2010 also comprises Italy, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Montenegro. Georgia are due to play the Italians in Udine four days after opening up their campaign against Republic of Ireland.
    Doesn't look like a decision is coming too soon
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As much as i hate to admit it this match isnt happening.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireland4ever View Post
    As much as i hate to admit it this match isnt happening.
    And you base that on what?
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    fingers crossed the whole situation calms right downs and the game goes ahead. Potentially you could end up losing money on the flights to georgia and then paying to get to Prague to catch connecting flights to Montenegro. If the game was moved to Turkey (border region) would it allow enough time to get back to tbilisi airport for a four am flight out of there on Sunday morning?
    Camac Ultras North Terrace Section

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think if the game is moved to Turkey it would mean that it would not be safe to get to Tiblisi
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good news, Georgia seem like they are going to sign the peace deal brokered by Sarkozy with Russia and Georgia, which Russia signed earlier.

Just watching it on Newsnight on BBC2
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Looks like its sorted out there now , as for the match we should hit them plenty of long balls as there are useless in the air and not very good at defending corners either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by londonred View Post
    Looks like its sorted out there now , as for the match we should hit them plenty of long balls as there are useless in the air and not very good at defending corners either.
    Not quite yet!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7558399.stm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Not looking good Russian tanks still around Gori. Peace deal might be a figleaf to keep the Americans and EU happy. No fighting though which is a plus however looks like they are trying to goad the Georgians into an attack.

I can't see FIFa making a fast decision. Then it will most likely be too late to move the game.

The UEFA Cup tie that was moved to Turkey has been postponed and will not be played as a one off tie in Vienna. Real bummer for any Austrian fans that booked flights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Not looking good Russian tanks still around Gori. Peace deal might be a figleaf to keep the Americans and EU happy. No fighting though which is a plus however looks like they are trying to goad the Georgians into an attack.

I can't see FIFa making a fast decision. Then it will most likely be too late to move the game.

The UEFA Cup tie that was moved to Turkey has been postponed and will not be played as a one off tie in Vienna. Real bummer for any Austrian fans that booked flights.
    Any of them coming from Vienna won't really be affected as Austrian Airlines flights are thus far cancelled. Not much action in the airport, though Air Baltic is still flying, which won't be ideal if the match is postponed as anyone flying with them will most likely not get any refund as they will probably be still flying.

http://www.tbilisiairport.com/0.php?id=3
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    THey should move the game to riga in my view. ha ha !!!
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    THey should move the game to riga in my view. ha ha !!!
    I was thinking Munich myself...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I will have to put some black tape over Moscow as I don't think anyone will be ofended by a Mule.
    I've got a horse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lunchtime news does not look very promising. It's ok having a diplomatic agreement but far more difficult in getting the blockheads in uniforms to abide by it.
    I've got a horse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The request for a neutral venue seems to be down to insurance, fron the Indo:

FAI chief executive John Delaney spoke with Minister For Foreign Affairs Micheal Martin yesterday with both agreeing next month's World Cup qualifier with war-torn Georgia should be moved from Tbilisi.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has said Irish citizens should not travel to the troubled country, and the FAI has already requested FIFA move the September 6 game to a neutral venue.

Already FAI officials have confirmed that insuring Ireland's Premier League stars for the trip would be "almost impossible". In order to foster good relations with their clubs, the FAI insures its players while they are on international duty.

However, Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni yesterday affirmed that the game must go ahead on September 6 in a country close to Georgia -- with Armenia and Azerbaijan mooted as possible suggestions -- in order to avoid fixture chaos.

"Ultimately, it's FIFA's decision. The best we can do at the moment is to say we're looking for a timely decision", said a FAI spokesperson.

"It's correct that the insurance for the players would not be available for a war zone, that's the preliminary advice that we have been given.

"The Department of Foreign Affairs have moved their position to say not to travel there, full stop."

Trapattoni echoed the sentiments, advocating a switch to a safe country near Georgia, citing the precedent where Israel played all of their Euro 2004 qualifiers in Cyprus due to the turbulent domestic situation in their homeland at the time.

"I think it's the best decision to play in the same area, in the past FIFA have decided that you play games in other countries," he said.

"Keeping the fixture on the calendar is very important for the integrity of the rest of the calendar. If FIFA decide that maybe we can play, then we cannot say no, but they must guarantee us our safety.

"It's a very difficult moment for Georgia. For us, with a charter flight, it's possible to change the city. There are many, many countries nearby."
    But the Georgian FA seem to be quite confident the match can go ahead, from the Examiner:

Meanwhile, the Georgian Football Federation is insisting that the game can go ahead.

Speaking from the capital Tbilisi yesterday, spokesman Alexander Tsnobiladze said: “We know what they are saying in Ireland but, at this moment, the game will go ahead in Tbilisi. There are no problems in Tbilisi.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I will have to put some black tape over Moscow as I don't think anyone will be ofended by a Mule.
    Anthough you might get unwanted attention from drug barons and airport customs thinking you are advertising your services

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast