Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia game at risk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    The game will either be in Tiblisi as arranged or postponed.

If Georgia were to agree to a neutral venue, they would be forced to play all their home games at a neutral venue, so the logical thing is to postpone it.

A final descision will not be made until the Tues or weds of the week of the game, as they will leave it to the very last minute.
    I agree Fifa are not very assertive at making decisions and they will leave it until the vey last minute before they make one. Just watching the reports coming out of Georgia and the situation does not look promising

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever
    A final descision will not be made until the Tues or weds of the week of the game, as they will leave it to the very last minute.
    For security reasons, they will have to make a decision on it well before then, at least a couple of weeks, i.e. 2 weeks beforehand.

Reminds me of Liverpool v Haifa in the CLQ's a few years ago. The away leg was due to be held in the middle of the Israel-Lebanon conflict. It had to be moved to Kiev. By the time the game was played, the conflict had ended, but the situation was considered too unstable to risk playing the away game in Israel. Same here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    For security reasons, they will have to make a decision on it well before then, at least a couple of weeks, i.e. 2 weeks beforehand.

Reminds me of Liverpool v Haifa in the CLQ's a few years ago. The away leg was due to be held in the middle of the Israel-Lebanon conflict. It had to be moved to Kiev. By the time the game was played, the conflict had ended, but the situation was considered too unstable to risk playing the away game in Israel. Same here.
    THey wont as the group stages only have to be completed by Oct 09 and there are a number of free dates to rearrange the game.

FIFA / UEFA will be more concious of the fall out if they move it to aneutral venue, as the Italians and Bulgarians would then refuse to travel to Tiblisi claiming Ireland got an unfair advantage.

Like the Yugoslavia game in 99 no decision will be made until the last minute.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever
    FIFA / UEFA will be more concious of the fall out if they move it to aneutral venue, as the Italians and Bulgarians would then refuse to travel to Tiblisi claiming Ireland got an unfair advantage.
    I think most people will understand the reasons why it would be moved. It's too early to postpone the game now, but if it's still going on in 2 weeks time and the situation has escalated, they will have to make a decision. In which they will probably postpone it until next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From a purely footballing point of view, we could do without a Georgia team hyped up on some form of nationalistic fevour. So putting it back might be the best option, except for those booked to travel of course..

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I don't think it's too early to make a decision now. Today the Russians started bombing around Tbilisi airport, so I can't imagine any scenario in which it would be deemed safe to play a game in Tbilisi within a month of that... no way... They should move the game... I am sure that they will want to play out of their skins for Georgia... but some of their players do play in Georgia, so can hardly be fully prepared... I don't know if the military draft effects them... I suppose the Georgian FA will ask for the game to be postponed... but who's to say that things will be any better in time for their next home game in October..

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    The Ukraine are also playing at home on the 6th, so that is another neutral venue out of the running, the only venue nearby that could hold the match is Baku

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    The Ukraine are also playing at home on the 6th, so that is another neutral venue out of the running, the only venue nearby that could hold the match is Baku
    Could the game not be played in Donetsk?
    I'd imagine somewhere like Trabzon would be just as suitable for the Georgians? In terms of location I mean.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I would imagine if the airlines are still flying into Tblisi the match will still go ahead, and that will determine whether anybody gets compensation. Air Baltic could only refund the leg to Tblisi in theory leaving several hundred 'stranded' in Riga as they are point to pont carrier. The scheduled carriers will likelly offer a full refund. It also doesnt help that those fllying from Riga are flying over Russian airspace which in theory could be closed. Wish I had of went via Turkey now.

However as has been stated before whatever happens it is a downer for the trip at best, I dont think we can turn the place into a 78 hour party when our hosts are/were/still are in a 'war footing' suffering casualties/refugees etc.

There are things a sight more important than a football match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ya it looks like this is off unless they seek a neutral venue which is mentioned here. I would put my money on it being postponed though.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0811/georgia.html
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Personally, can't see the "war" continuing for much longer, as the Georgians have left the region, and can't fight the Russians much longer, so the game should be able to go ahead in Tbilisi on the stated date.

It's important that no panic decisions are made for another 10 days or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The Russians certainly haven't finished with their agenda!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7554507.stm
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    The FAI have asked FIFA to move the game

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=3406

I can't see a decision on this for at least a week or more likely 2. flights will be a nightmare if it is moved.

Georgia will have to play all home games in the same country too so Turkey is the only realistic option I can see with Trabzon the obvious venue.

No doubt the Georgians will be really ****ed off too with us for asking for this.

The UEFA Cup tie in Tbilisi on Thursday is being moved too but no confirmed venue yet.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's hard to tell the difference when FIFA trod the fine line between not panicing and avoidance of a decision.

The fairest for all is that the game is played in Georgia and if that means a postponement now, then so be it. I don't like when the FAI is prematurely looking to squeeze some advantage out of a countries troubles.

The FAI should send be sending a message of strong message of support to the Georgian people in their honourable struggle against Russian imperialism

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It's hard to tell the difference when FIFA trod the fine line between not panicing and avoidance of a decision.

The fairest for all is that the game is played in Georgia and if that means a postponement now, then so be it. I don't like when the FAI is prematurely looking to squeeze some advantage out of a countries troubles.

The FAI should send be sending a message of strong message of support to the Georgian people in their honourable struggle against Russian imperialism
    Absolutely but if the Russians want to invade Bulgaria and Italy please be our guests.

Those of us with flights booked would like to see the game played in Tbilisi on September 6th though. A few inflatable hammers a half dozen bodhrans will keep the Red Army at bay without too much difficulty. We could always fly in the FCA if things look like they are really difficult over there in September.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The political pressure is increasing on Russia.....but they don't seem concerned that the situation is worsening

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7553508.stm
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    World Cup qualifier 6th September
    August 11th, 2008
    Further to discussions with the Department of Foreign Affairs, who are currently advising against non essential travel to Georgia, the FAI has today written to FIFA, UEFA and the Georgian FA, to indicate that its preferred option would be to find an alternative venue on the same date for the Group 8 World Cup qualifier against Georgia in Tbilisi.
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    The away team doesn't get preferences. We agreed to the fixture taking place at that time in the fixtures meeting. So we have to go there and deal with the situation.

At this stage, I don't think the fixture will be affected, barring a significant escalation in the battle, which looks unlikely.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    That exactly what it looks like, and if I was in the Georgian FA I would tell them to go **** themselves (apart from the fact they may have slightly more important thing s on their mind right now). A decision doesnt need to be made for at least 2 weeks with a postponement the likely outcome if the game isnt going ahead.

Dont think this will last much longer, Russia has made it point, Georgia has overplayed its hand and they both know it.

With regards refund whether the game is switched or postponed is nothing to do with the airlines. Worst case scenario is the game postponed to be on the safe side but the airlines are still flying - how does a refund work then you will be cancelling a ticket.

Best Scenario - it quietens down and the game goes ahead
    Worst Case - Lose money on Tbilisi leg of flights, cancel Hotel Tbilisi, use Riga as a base from Wed to Mon

Are acts of War not one of the get out clauses used by Insurance companys to avoid paying out ?

Can you claim back on credit card ? if you just cancel something ? (sorry never had to do it )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    The away team doesn't get preferences. We agreed to the fixture taking place at that time in the fixtures meeting. So we have to go there and deal with the situation..
    Where the DFA is advising against travel and people then choose to travel, their insurance is generally invalidated. Whatever about fans insurance, I can't see the FAI taking a bunch of multimillionaire footballers to an area of conflict exposing themselves to potentially huge claims from the players clubs if something were to go wrong.
    At this stage, I don't think the fixture will be affected, barring a significant escalation in the battle, which looks unlikely.
    You obviously have a different news source to me. I don't know how you can say this with any certainty, particularly given the recent opening of the front in Abkhazia and the Russians move into undisputed Georgian territory.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast