Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duff to return to Blackburn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Duff to return to Blackburn?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...ap-878733.html

I have mixed feelings about this. Glad to see the Duffer getting out of the mess that is Newcastle United, but not too sure if a return to Blackburn is the way forward.
    I'd probably feel different if Hughes was still there, but im not convinced by Paul Ince.
    On a side note, even if this is just gossip, its very sad to see the once great Damo Duff even being mentioned in an article, concerning swap deals for Stephen Warnock valued at £2-3m.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Well, in Ince's defence, he's earned a shot with decent results at a number of smaller clubs. That's nice to see these days.

I'm glad Duff's out of Newcastle too - it's a elephant graveyard for players. Blackburn are stable enough, so if Ince is really up to it, it could be a good place to rebuild confidence and form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    I'm not so sure, Blackburn are selling their best players - Friedel is gone, Bentley and Roque Santa Cruz are on their way - and some of the players brought in haven't impressed me. I don't think they're going to have a decent season.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Its just speculation at the moment. It seems it is Blackburn that mentioned Duff in the negotiations.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm not so sure, Blackburn are selling their best players - Friedel is gone, Bentley and Roque Santa Cruz are on their way - and some of the players brought in haven't impressed me. I don't think they're going to have a decent season.
    I agree. I think they'll struggle to stay out of the relegation places this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ince being the first managerial casualty of the campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Friedel is 37. I'm not saying he's no loss, but he was hardly the wave of the future either. While Bentley and Santa Cruz would big losses if they go, they are both likely to go for big money. I see no reason to panic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm willing to wait and see about Ince. The season hasn't started yet.
    I wouldn't be against Duff going back, his heart is probably still with the club and lets face it I wouldn't want to be around when Joey Barton gets welcomed back with open arms.
    If Shay leaves for Arsenal, then icing on the cake.
    Esse Quam Videri

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Not a terrible move. The fact is Duff is no longer even close to the player he once was. He would have a defined role at Blackburn and I think Ince would work well with him.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think I must be drunk reading some of these posts on here I am a Blackburn rovers season ticket holder and they will be nowhere near the relegation places with teams like Hull, West Brom and a load more I could name who have not got the players to Challenge Blackburn they are a consistant top 10 side and have been for the past three seasons

"I think they'll struggle to stay out of the relegation places this season"

absolute nonsense when they finished 7th last season none of the back four are going nowhere we have sold Friedal and replaced him with Robinson people were laughing when we took Friedal to ewood and he was class for 8 years

"and some of the players brought in haven't impressed me"

I would love to know who hasn’t impressed with the prices we have paid for players-Bentley 2.5mil now worth 15-17mil Santa Cruz Bought 3mil could be sold for 15 Samba 300.000 neilson free warnock 700.000 I could go on. We have a solid Midfield with Reid, and Dunn a good defence and 4 decent strikers-Duff would be a good addition as this is where he played his best football but not first choice over pederson who is a good player. But the fact that we could be in the relegation places is laughable sorry (I hope I am not eating my words in 9 months!!!)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Maybe Duff should have went to Liverpool instead of choosing the greedy option and going to Newcastle for the sake of a few grand extra.

He would have been linking up with the likes of Keane, Torres and Gerrard. I wonder how he woul have got.....

He said at his press conference when he joined NUFC that Lverpool were in for him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by irishbaz View Post
    I think I must be drunk reading some of these posts on here I am a Blackburn rovers season ticket holder and they will be nowhere near the relegation places with teams like Hull, West Brom and a load more I could name who have not got the players to Challenge Blackburn they are a consistant top 10 side and have been for the past three seasons

absolute nonsense when they finished 7th last season none of the back four are going nowhere we have sold Friedal and replaced him with Robinson people were laughing when we took Friedal to ewood and he was class for 8 years

I would love to know who hasn’t impressed with the prices we have paid for players-Bentley 2.5mil now worth 15-17mil Santa Cruz Bought 3mil could be sold for 15 Samba 300.000 neilson free warnock 700.000 I could go on. We have a solid Midfield with Reid, and Dunn a good defence and 4 decent strikers-Duff would be a good addition as this is where he played his best football but not first choice over pederson who is a good player. But the fact that we could be in the relegation places is laughable sorry (I hope I am not eating my words in 9 months!!!)
    Well said Irishbaz, Im a big Blackburn fan too and I know we will buy enough quality to replace anybody that leaves. We have brought in many players over the years that have impressed and we have made good profits in return, the structures at the club will prevent blackburn from being in a position of struggle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts

I meant the players that Ince has brought in so far this season. Friedel is going to be a big loss, Bentley is going to be hard to replace, ditto Roque Santa Cruz. Blackburn aren't going to get relegated, but I do think this is going to be their worst season in a while, I don't seem them finishing top 10
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I would love for Benitez to resurrect his interest in Duff. Liverpool could do with a left winger, and I'd love to see Keane and Duff linking up at club level. However, pipe-dreams, I suppose.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ince has only made one signing which is Paul Robinson!! I don’t think that’s to bad we will lose Bentley but he will be replaced by Either Lennon or Pennant so it could be worse I think Santa Cruz will stay as he has stated he does not want to leave but the reality of football is someone may offer 15mil and a club like Blackburn will snap there hand off however with a 30mil buffer I would hope we could buy a decent striker to replace him. I still don’t believe it’s going to be a bad season I want to see Reidy get back into the form of 2 years ago and I am hoping Ince gives Tracy and Judge a run they have featured in pre season and done well

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

You will be eating your words. Yeah great you had a few decent finishes in the past few seasons but that was down to the manager you had more than any other factor.

P.S. Just a reminder you have a new manager now who has never managed at a decent level before. We'll see how well he does. You will also lose Bentley and Santa Cruz before the transfer window closes. Also in case you hadn't noticed Robinson is sh*t as is Pennant. Those signings have relegation quality written all over them.
    Last edited by youngirish; 29/07/2008 at 9:05 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hope not!! Interesting point you have made

Just a reminder you have a new manager now who has never managed at a decent level before

I respect the man for plying his trade at lower league level to build his skill set up he joined Macclesfield with the club bottom of League Two, seven points off their nearest rivals. He then revived confidence and after a 3-0 win against Chester they managed to climb off the bottom of the table. They subsequently avoided relegation, albeit on the last day of the season. On 4 January 2007 Ince was named as League Two Manager of the Month for December. he the went onto Mk dons Ince's first silverware as manager came in the Football League Trophy Final at Wembley on March 31, 2008, with the MK Dons defeating Grimsby Town 2-0. He then secured the Dons' return to Coca-Cola League 1 in April 2008 after they beat Stockport County 3-2. On April 26, the Dons became League Two champions after they beat Bradford City 2-1.

Lets look at that C.V against Mr Keanes managerial experience prior to Sunderland none so lets see before we make such reminders the guy has managed and done well so why not now because you say so? Also

Also in case you hadn't noticed Robinson is sh*t as is Pennant

I love the fact that people say premiership footballers are sh*t if they were they would be playing for the dog and duck like most of use on Sunday!! Robinson has played 41 times for England, through the youth ranks at Leeds United then player for Spurs well he must be dog Sh*t and Pennant signed for Liverpool on 26 July 2006, on a four year contract for a fee of £6.7 million, potentially rising to £8 million with add-ons again what a poor player he must be only to command an 8million fee!!!!!! Wake up all players go through poor periods in there careers Brad friedal was laughed out of Liverpool, England’s current number 1 earned the nickname Calamity JAMES all forgotten now with a good season-Pennant has hardly had a chance to stretch his legs under Benitaz. By the way one man does not make a team and I notice you didn’t comment on the Aaron Lennon transfer!! He will be part of any deal that brings Bentley to spurs I suppose he is more relegation fodder!! Yes we have had a few decent finishes but you are trying to say teams like Hull, West Brom, Stoke, Wigan to name a few have more quality than Blackburn (stop it)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I love the fact that people say premiership footballers are sh*t if they were they would be playing for the dog and duck like most of use on Sunday!! Robinson has played 41 times for England, through the youth ranks at Leeds United then player for Spurs well he must be dog Sh*t and Pennant signed for Liverpool on 26 July 2006, on a four year contract for a fee of £6.7 million, potentially rising to £8 million with add-ons again what a poor player he must be only to command an 8million fee!!!!!!
    Yeah Pennant signed for Liverpool for 6.7 million. That makes him brilliant doesn't it? Even though the manager who signed him subsequently didn't think he was good enough to warrant a regular game. In today's transfer fees 6.7 million is nothing for a Premiership player anyway. There are terrible players who've been sold for more than that. If Benitez sells Pennant tomorrow he would be lucky to recoup half that figure so yes Pennant is sh*t as far as Premiership players go. He's exactly the sort of player that teams struggling near the bottom of the Premiership have in their ranks.

As for Robinson who cares if he played 41 times for England? Since when in recent years have England been blessed with quality goalkeepers? They clearly haven't had a decent International keeper since Seaman retired. Robinson is a poor keeper who has been found out (I'm surprised it took so long) . He'll struggle to tie down a regular place in any half decent Premiership team over the next few seasons. How Blackburn are going to miss Friedel once Robinson gets a few games under his belt.
    Last edited by youngirish; 29/07/2008 at 10:49 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmo View Post
    I would love for Benitez to resurrect his interest in Duff. Liverpool could do with a left winger, and I'd love to see Keane and Duff linking up at club level. However, pipe-dreams, I suppose.
    why the hell would Benitez sign him when he rufused to join a few years ago?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Robinson is tripe, he was the most over-rated keeper in the premiership for years, simply because he was young and English, but eventually people couldnt defend him any longer after so many mistakes, Scott Carson is another who is just as over-rated and equally as crap.

Blackburn will struggle this year, but i have to agree with irishbaz there are at least 6 teams in premiership worse than them, and they should be safe. I dont think Ince will turn out to be much of a manager in the premiership, Hughes has been the major reason Blackburn have punched above their weight in recent seasons.
    'I can't even remember when the Seventies was.' - ROBBIE KEANE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I definitely wouldnt say that Blackburn are relegation material, but I think many people would agree that in the modern climate of spend-spend-spend Hughes took the club to about the best that they could expect to achieve (about 7th place).
    I wouldnt really expect Ince to improve on that, so if he could keep them in the top 12 places he could be counted as being a success. so in a way right from the beginning Duff is playing in the second/third tier of premier league clubs. Not what i expected for one who was undoubtably a world class player 2-3 years ago.
    On the bright side, I though that Robbie had missed his chance to play with big boys and now here he is is contending for the premier league title...... sorry, competing for a champions league spot!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast