Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Sadlier calls time on his career

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Unhappy Sadlier calls time on his career

A sad day indeed for fans and players of the national side. No pun intended.

PP

---

Injury ends Sadlier's career (source: Ananova)

Millwall striker Richard Sadlier has been forced to retire from football at the age of 24 by a hip injury which has plagued him for the last 18 months.

The Republic of Ireland international finally decided to call it a day this week after his third comeback ended in another breakdown.

Sadlier has been through two operations to try to rectify the problem, but still finds playing football too painful.

He told the club's official website: "I just reached the decision that the longer I tried to play, not only was I doing more damage to myself, but the strain was becoming too much - building myself up for each comeback and then being bitterly disappointed when it didn't work out.

"I've been thinking about this for a while, but not seriously until about a month ago. I spoke to the medical people and it just makes sense for me to stop now."

Lions boss Mark McGhee insists Sadlier could have risen to the top of the game without his injury heartbreak.

He said: "This is desperate for Richard. I've managed at four clubs now and Richard Sadlier is the best young centre-forward I've seen. He had the potential to go right to the top."

Sadlier scored 34 goals in 103 league starts for Millwall after making his debut six years ago.

Story filed: 13:52 Thursday 4th September 2003
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    thats a real shame ...a lot of people in the game thought he had a great future. ...very bad luck on the young fella...hope he'll be ok..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am devastated by the news that Richard has been forced to retire.

Like many others I thought that given full fitness he would be the answer to our prayers.

It is a very sad day for both Millwall and ROI, but above all to Richard himself.

I am certain all ROI supporters will wish him every success in the future
    JMacH

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Terrible news. He looked having a great career ahead of him at club and international level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i'd seen only a little of him, but those in the know believed he was among our brighter prospects.
    terrible blow for the lad. as johnmac said, we wish him all the best.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats terrible for Richard. I hope he keeps his head together. I wish him all the best for the future. Very unfortunate.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Richie is a fantastic guy and great footballer, he grew up around the corner from me and i remember him in his broadford rovers days,albeit i was a year below him. its a damn shame for him and his family i wish him all the best and hope he goes on to biggerand better things.

big loss for irish football