Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Speed Addiction

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speed Addiction

Is speed(driving not the drug) considered a addiction? Theres rehab for addiction to drugs and alcohol but not speed?Personally I think these speed junkies should be considered in the same light,they are addicted and need help.

Thoughts?
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deecay View Post
    Is speed(driving not the drug) considered a addiction? Theres rehab for addiction to drugs and alcohol but not speed?Personally I think these speed junkies should be considered in the same light,they are addicted and need help.

Thoughts?
    I have just taken delivery of a new BMW M3 Coupe..........PLEASE HELP ME!!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    It's not an addiction, its a reckless abandonment of common sense. An addiction as in the case of drink, drugs or gambling consumes the addict, and becomes their whole life.

People who speed are either in a hurry, careless or doing it for cheap thrills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    To reiterate my mantra: Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills; and if you want to "cure" bad driving, talk to the government about their woeful track record with driver education and testing; and if you're not able to handle your car at speed, perhaps you should buy a bicycle or simply stay on the footpath and out of everyone else's way.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    To reiterate my mantra: Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills; and if you want to "cure" bad driving, talk to the government about their woeful track record with driver education and testing; and if you're not able to handle your car at speed, perhaps you should buy a bicycle or simply stay on the footpath and out of everyone else's way.

adam
    I think the 'speed kills' thing isn't meant to mean you're more likely to wrap you and your car around a pole on the dual carriageway (these days, anyway); any time i've seen on posters and such it its usually in conjunction with some figures explaining that if, in a populated area you hit a child at 40km/h they're almost certain to die while at 30km/h there's a very good chance they'll live. One of those strange natural boundaries in our human tolerances.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    No, that's what they should concentrate on - indeed in the UK they have one on that very topic which is very good - here it's just about speed. There's one of the ads is a fella overtaking on a bend, coming up to a crossroads and the focus is on the speed irrc.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    No, that's what they should concentrate on - indeed in the UK they have one on that very topic which is very good - here it's just about speed. There's one of the ads is a fella overtaking on a bend, coming up to a crossroads and the focus is on the speed irrc.
    I'm going on posters, rather than TV (don't watch TV really apart from the odd MNS), spent a fair whack of time around Gardai earlier this year and saw plenty of such posters. If the TV ads are differently, forgive me, but I do agree that certainly it at least should be (one of) the main concern.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"