Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: all Waterford players now free agents

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

all Waterford players now free agents

Just announced on WLR that as the players havent been paid in 4 weeks, all members of the squad have now been declared as free agents. There is talk of the Dublin and Cork based players not turning up for the Wexford Youths game in Ferrycarig next Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    sad to here, but its happeneing everywhere now. Hope the FAI are helping out those in serious trouble and help them not only to survive this season but to be still around for many more seasons the come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Not great news alright. Are there locally based fringe players with a bit of hunger to step in?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very sad to hear i really think the league is falling apart, at the moment we are living week to week ourselves. I really don't think the summer football season has worked it actually been a disaster in terms of bringing people to watch games as i have never seen so many clubs in trouble at once. Only 1089 at Pats last week a shocking crowd and while the clubs who have big investors can cover the short fall the rest of us have to sit and suffer. Only good it has done is help teams in Europe some what improve. I can see clubs going out of business if this keeps up.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Terrible shame.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers Maniac View Post
    Very sad to hear i really think the league is falling apart, at the moment we are living week to week ourselves.
    It's a normal process of correction after a few years of expansion. Like a gold rush, some speculators have wound up empty-handed. In the short term all it means is that we'll have a more firmly entrenched two- or three-tier league with the top clubs who can sustain a (slightly reduced) level of expenditure streaking ahead. Two or three years from now we'll begin to see clubs from outside the golden circle making tentative efforts to get back inside again. It's definitely making the 10-team league seem like a better idea.

With regard to Waterford, I hear Cork and Shamrock Rovers are very keen on Kenny Browne.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    sad to here, but its happeneing everywhere now. Hope the FAI are helping out those in serious trouble and help them not only to survive this season but to be still around for many more seasons the come.
    dont think its happening everywhere in fact i think only a small handful of clubs are overspending imo
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    It's a normal process of correction after a few years of expansion. Like a gold rush, some speculators have wound up empty-handed. In the short term all it means is that we'll have a more firmly entrenched two- or three-tier league with the top clubs who can sustain a (slightly reduced) level of expenditure streaking ahead. Two or three years from now we'll begin to see clubs from outside the golden circle making tentative efforts to get back inside again. It's definitely making the 10-team league seem like a better idea.

With regard to Waterford, I hear Cork and Shamrock Rovers are very keen on Kenny Browne.
    Sheridan these neuvo rich clubs are unsustainable and when they come back down to earth in a few years to join the rest of us, the league could well be missing some clubs.

No offence but take a look at Dublin City their avg gate receipts probably went to cover the same % of the weekly running costs of the club as Pats, Drogs and Bohs are doing so at the moment. The difference is these teams are being hailed for it but at the end of the day it is unsustainable and this is what is being held up as a model of how all clubs should be.
    Last edited by Rovers Maniac; 12/07/2008 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Gareth Cronin just on WLR to state that the Dublin and Cork based players will not be travelling to Waterford this week for training and that he is uncertain if they will turn up in Wexford next Friday.

He also said that the FAI assertion that attendance were up overall in the league as 'absolute fiction'.

Things looking really bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    While obviously I wouldn't like to see Waterford go out of business, they shouldn't be spending money they don't have. It's as simple as that really.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Holidaysong are Dundalk not in debt big time? I heard they could not even pay there players at times earlier in the season?

By the way not having a go just a serious question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    While obviously I wouldn't like to see Waterford go out of business, they shouldn't be spending money they don't have. It's as simple as that really.
    Last year the total budget of WUFC in the Premier was just under €350,000. We cut that further when we were relegated. We budgeted on the expectation that our crowds in the First would be around the 800-1000 mark and also a member of the Management Committee, a local business man fell ill.

So how can you say we are overspending. We simply were not expecting this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    he obviously has inside info that you dont!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    No offence but take a look at Dublin City their avg gate receipts probably went to cover the same % of the weekly running costs of the club as Pats, Drogs and Bohs are doing so at the moment
    DC had zero assets and no prospect of making a significant net profit from gate receipts even for bumper attendances. And even so, they'd still be around if they hadn't been promoted in 2005. Shels had a good window of a year to eighteen months wherein they could have averted their current situation even after the sh1t hit the fan.
    The difference is these teams are being hailed for it but at the end of the day it is unsustainable and this is what is being held up as a model of how all clubs should be.
    Held up by whom? There are no models. Every club, every league is different. Professional football generally (worldwide) is unsustainable. Mediocrity is indefinitely sustainable, but even then (as anyone who's ever played poker or followed Kilkenny City will tell you) if you never play a hand eventually your blinds alone will decimate your stack.

Of the current big four only Drogheda and Bohs are in danger of possibly doing themselves long-term damage.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    DC had zero assets and no prospect of making a significant net profit from gate receipts even for bumper attendances. And even so, they'd still be around if they hadn't been promoted in 2005. Shels had a good window of a year to eighteen months wherein they could have averted their current situation even after the sh1t hit the fan.

Held up by whom? There are no models. Every club, every league is different. Professional football generally (worldwide) is unsustainable. Mediocrity is indefinitely sustainable, but even then (as anyone who's ever played poker or followed Kilkenny City will tell you) if you never play a hand eventually your blinds alone will decimate your stack.

Of the current big four only Drogheda and Bohs are in danger of possibly doing themselves long-term damage.
    Every Monday night they are hailed as the future, Dolan in his weekly column the same with Rico hapring on about how great the league is because of these teams eing professional. They never mention that Bohs made a massive loss last year !
    How many have come out and said this is unsustainable? Pats Drogs or Bohs there is no difference between any of the 3, what they are at is they are all paying out more money than they are taking in which was the same as what Dublin City did, if they continue to do that they will end moving away from their homes as they will have to sell their assets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    if people are seeking answers to the sustainability of football in the eircom league the last people to ask is managers they no fcuk all about running clubs and will bankrupt any club foolish enough to believe them, most if not all managers do not care about the long term sustainability of a club but only in the current season
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I really hope that Waterford can keep the ship afloat, somehow. Surely the FAI will give them some assistance, with Delaney being a Waterford man and all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    very bad news for soccer in the area Kilkenny last year and now Waterford on the brink.
    The FAI will have to try do something to keep a geographical spread of clubs in the EL
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    [FONT=Tahoma]Waterford United manager Gareth Cronin has vented his frustration at players not being paid, speaking on Newstalk the blues boss said: "I can't guarantee the wages every week – the club can't guarantee that. It's not that they're withholding money it's just that there is no money coming in – either at the gate or from sponsorship. Response from business in Waterford has been poor despite the fact that we're challenging for the league. I can't guarantee that the wage bill will be covered every week. If any player comes to me and says that he wants to go elsewhere, where he can be guaranteed an income I can't stop them – they are effectively free agents."

Board of management member with Waterford United, Sam White, told The Saturday Sports Show: "We've been active all day and last night getting some money for the players so hopefully we will have it resolved by Monday or Tuesday." He added that they'll sit down with the players for a chat during the week to devise a plan going forward.

Another spokesperson from the club described rumours that they would intentionally avoid promotion as "ludicrous". [/FONT]
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Holidaysong are Dundalk not in debt big time? I heard they could not even pay there players at times earlier in the season?

By the way not having a go just a serious question.
    A few years back there were some problems, DFC at present are in the best financial position for years. The issue this year was:
    http://www.dundalkfc.com/News/080322_GM.asp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast