Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: all Waterford players now free agents

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Much like what Limerick did what Waterford are going to have to do is look for local talent. First Division clubs can't afford to pay expenses of players coming from different parts of the country. Whats worrying is that a club like Galway rolled the dice in the Premier and it's worked out so poorly for them. Can't see any of the current crop of First Division clubs being able to improve on their efforts.
    the majority of our squad are local though:
    Holden(Kilkenny) Quigley(dublin), Breen(Waterford), Browne(Waterford), Clarke(dublin); Dunphy(Waterford),Fitzpatrick, Warren(Cork) , Waters( kilkenny), Foley(dublin); Sullivan(Waterford), Kiely(Waterford), Grincell (Waterford),Spicer(Waterford), Hayes (Waterford), Fitzgerald(Waterford), Mulcahy(Kilkenny),Paul McCarthy(Waterford),
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman
    Dublin and Waterford have barely 10% of that between them.
    Excuse Alert!!

Every club has to play summer football, and has to compete with the GAA. If you fall behind, you've got to go out of your way to catch up, and keep your club at the top of your area's interests. It strikes me that the people of a number of different areas in the country, simply don't care enough about sustaining their club at the top level of national football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Excuse Alert!!

Every club has to play summer football, and has to compete with the GAA. If you fall behind, you've got to go out of your way to catch up, and keep your club at the top of your area's interests. It strikes me that the people of a number of different areas in the country, simply don't care enough about sustaining their club at the top level of national football.

For certain summer football has almost totally killed the LOI in Waterford.
    Price comes into it also with £15 to watch the likes of Monaghan & Kildare, clubs with almost no tradition, in the disastrous LOI first division..
    Waterford has some of the best beaches in Ireland on its doorstep, strong GAA support in the city area ,whert the side is obviously based & whatever chance the club had has disppeared with the advent of the summer game which in the main suits afew big clubs In Dublin & one side in Cork, both massive catchment areas.
    Meanwhile the local under age game has never been stronger in Waterford with probably more kids playing football than ever also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Waterford had problems back in the winter football days. This is not the first time. Your ground is 5 minutes from the town centre, as is Sligo's. Charging €15 is unsustainable in the 1st Division, given the quality of opposition. So you may have to review that. There has to be a serious marketing campaign, in the town. Closing your eyes and hoping the problems go away is not going to beat them.

Look, we also have problems trying to attract crowds to our games. As long as I've watched LOI football, attendances have always been an issue. We've had our financial turmoil in recent years, but with grit and determination, took the measures necessary to get through it and are now financially stable, if not very well off.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    any more stories about players not traveling to Wexford game tomorrow. don't see it happening if then made there own way to Mon last week.

is there many fans traveling?
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    No.
    From what I gather that was a non-story from the start, as all of the squad told the manager after the Mons match that they would commit to at least playing the Wexford game.
    On Wednesday night then the players, manager and club together worked out a plan for payment of wages (owed and future) for the remainder of the season, so I'd be very upbeat about the vast majority of the lads staying on now.

I'd expect a good travelling support tomorrow, not as much as the first game maybe. Am going to stick my neck out and say 350-400.
    Last edited by stann; 17/07/2008 at 11:29 PM.
    more bass

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    If the players can't even get their money on time you must be way way way over the 65% costs ?? Not a chance 35% of the income is going towards off the field costs.

I'd imagine any first division club could get away with 15 to 20% going to off the field matters and still meet players wages.

I think holding on to players will cause you bigger problems later on in the season but thats just me!
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    I'd expect a good travelling support tomorrow, not as much as the first game maybe. Am going to stick my neck out and say 350-400.

hopefully atmosphere at first game was good not expecting as much of a home crowd either to be honest last time had more factors to bring a bigger crowd first game of season first competitive match against ye in the league. still expecting (or at least hoping) for a good home crowd.
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    If the players can't even get their money on time you must be way way way over the 65% costs
    Maybe this is their plan for keeping wage spending under 65%.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    waterford had problems back in the winter football days. This is not the first time. Your ground is 5 minutes from the town centre, as is sligo's. Charging €15 is unsustainable in the 1st division, given the quality of opposition. So you may have to review that. There has to be a serious marketing campaign, in the town. Closing your eyes and hoping the problems go away is not going to beat them.

Look, we also have problems trying to attract crowds to our games. As long as i've watched loi football, attendances have always been an issue. We've had our financial turmoil in recent years, but with grit and determination, took the measures necessary to get through it and are now financially stable, if not very well off.
    talk about not having a clue about the game on the island while ignoring what the other countries around this island what months they play their league in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123