Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: If You Could Transport One Ex-International To The Modern Team Who Would It Be?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macdermesser View Post
    cheers .. will pull out the dvd tonight.. I remember Stan and a Dunne being an untried pairing at the back against portugal and they were all over the place for the first 25 minutes. might have been the dutch game though. or both!! and keane popping up everywhere and basically playing everywhere bar goalkeeper and then scoring .. and then running towards the crowd with the lad in the wheelchair going mad. brilliant. someone didn't pick figo up at the corner though for the equaliser.
    Remember that lad in the wheelchair alright, classic shot, he was nearly lifting himself out of the chair the height he was bouncing, it was brilliant! Think that was after McAteer's goal though. Must check the road to japan video alright!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    comparing him to Keane, i personally think that McGrath won us just as many games with his majestic defending, sublime technique and masterful reading of the game. Anyone who remembers the qualifying campaigns for 90 and 94 and his performances at USA 94 should agree with those sentiments. I think McGraths influence on our results is grossly underestimated by many on this messageboard. Also, bearing in mind that he was amazing for us in midfield too under Jack.

Keane is not far off but in terms of what the Ireland team needs today, a defender like McGrath is needed more than a midfielder like Keane, in my opinion.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    comparing him to Keane, i personally think that McGrath won us just as many games with his majestic defending, sublime technique and masterful reading of the game. Anyone who remembers the qualifying campaigns for 90 and 94 and his performances at USA 94 should agree with those sentiments. I think McGraths influence on our results is grossly underestimated by many on this messageboard. Also, bearing in mind that he was amazing for us in midfield too under Jack.

Keane is not far off but in terms of what the Ireland team needs today, a defender like McGrath is needed more than a midfielder like Keane, in my opinion.
    spot on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Think you're confusing that with the Dutch game as regards the ball coming back off the post.

That said I was at a wedding the day of the Portugal game and didn't even get to see the first half so it may have happened that day as well. Keane was immense against Portugal as well mind you, just think the Benny Hill defending was against Holland.
    think it was rui costa who hit the post with a cracker. he ran riot that day for the first 45mins

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    think it was rui costa who hit the post with a cracker. he ran riot that day for the first 45mins
    May well have, thought the original poster was talking about the mix up at the back between Staunton (?) and Given where the ball went past them both and trickled towards the goal before rolling into the post and back to Given. Most comical piece of defending the whole campaign that one!

* Open to correction of whether it was Staunton or Dunne....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    May well have, thought the original poster was talking about the mix up at the back between Staunton (?) and Given where the ball went past them both and trickled towards the goal before rolling into the post and back to Given. Most comical piece of defending the whole campaign that one!

* Open to correction of whether it was Staunton or Dunne....
    definitely Staunton, Given came out to claim the ball, and Staunton headed it past him! Van Nistelrooy fell over Given, and claimed for a penalty.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Has to be Keane, games against Portugal, Holland and Cyprus were some of the best ever individual performances in an Irish jersey. Its exactly the area of the field where we are lacking most at the moment too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    1. Glen Crowe
    2. Jason Byrne
    3. Roy Keane
    4. Paul McGrath
    5. Denis Irwin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    definitely Staunton, Given came out to claim the ball, and Staunton headed it past him! Van Nistelrooy fell over Given, and claimed for a penalty.
    I though Harte cleared that one off the line.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Paul McGrath - when he was off the beer.
    Would have liked to seen Liam Brady play, was a little too young.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Think that may have been another incident, it was pure keystone cops stuff the first 25 minutes of that game!

Funny the way a lot of people point to Keane's tackle on Overmars in the fiirst minute as setting the tone for that game. Pure myth, the Dutch destroyed us for the guts of half an hour after that and Overmars himself tormented Kelly. RK could easilly have been booked for it and been on a tightrope the rest of the game, it was a Vinnie Jones esque tackle. Don't get me wrong, Keane was magnificent that day but the early tackle was insignificant, it was the way he turned the game around that made it a memorable performance.

It'd be McGrath for me, could cover in both midfield and centre half, total legend and the best player I've seen perform for Ireland and I include Brady during the 80's in that. Only caught the tail end of Giles' appearances so discounting him.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Nope. It trickled towards the line about as quickly as Aberdonian Stu would have been running after it, had he been out there.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Nope. It trickled towards the line about as quickly as Aberdonian Stu would have been running after it, had he been out there.
    We were blessed to get away with that one.

The Sporting Gods were redressing the balance from Wim Kiefts header in 88.

Gary Kelly had a nightmare that game. I wasn't that upset when he got sent off. He was a liability!!
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    We were blessed to get away with that one.

The Sporting Gods were redressing the balance from Wim Kiefts header in 88.

Gary Kelly had a nightmare that game. I wasn't that upset when he got sent off. He was a liability!!
    Kelly was sent off and Finnan came on for Robbie Keane, leaving Duff up front on his own. Later that same game Finnan crossed for McAteer, and the rest is history.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Yes, best day at home by a mile. I remember going home singing "My momma always told me there'd be days like this". Revenge at last over the Dutch.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Yes, best day at home by a mile. I remember going home singing "My momma always told me there'd be days like this". Revenge at last over the Dutch.

I think, if anything, we've grown to appreciate it more as time has gone on.

Our home game against Spain in 1993 was set up as the day we'd qualify for the 94 World Cup. There was more than a hint of confidence that we could beat Spain that day. The rumour was that there were fireworks at the ready, in the stadium, should we qualify.

3 nil down after 20 minutes. Both the team and the crowd were shell-shocked. The day took on a nightmarish unreality to it.

As the fair weather support walked out, I'll never forget my Da (a man well used to crushing disappointment while following Ireland) calling the deserters a "shower of B*st*ard*!! - where's the support?".

John Sheridan's goal appeared little more than a consolation in relation to that specific game. It proved far more important.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    definitely roy keane...he would be the perfect midfield general for this current squad who seem to have plenty of ability but really lack a midfield leader

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    niall quinn like it or not a big man is useful especially as a sub if you need a goal late in a game.There were a few countries this summer that could have done with a big man when they needed a late goal.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Got to be Roy Keane, if only for his influence on other players.
    Would we have we lost 5-2 to cyprus with Keane in the team? I doubt it.
    Plus central midfiled is somewhere where we could do with a true world
    class player and he would be able to cover for weaknesses elsewhere.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345