Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Country for Old Men

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    No Country was brilliant cinema I thought. I'm a big Coens fan though. I wasn't really gone on The Ladykillers, I'd seen the original version shortly before and I just felt the Coens version wasn't as good. Intolerable Cruelty was ok, not their greatest work either but some amusing moments.

Lebowski and Fargo I really loved and have watched numerous times. The characters are fantastic. The Hudsucker Proxy I wouldn't be 100% gone on either, I never really got into it.The Man Who Wasn't There, Raising Arizona, O Brother, Millers Crossing, Barton Fink, Blood Simple, all of those I think are great films also. It's very hard to pick their best or rather my favourite but if pushed I'd have to go for one of Fargo, Big Lebowski or No Country For Old Men. Lebowski maybe just sneaks it as my choice purely for the hours of laughter I've gotten out of it. Walter Sobchak, what a guy.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Their only work I haven't seen is The Ladykillers

For me everything they've done is at worst good and at best flawless

I even enjoyed Intolerable Cruelty which of its genre was pretty damned good.

My favourites would definetly be Fargo , Barton Fink and The Man Who Wasn't There which I presume was left out of Rubens Top 10 due to forgetfullness

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    The police in the USA must be brutal, unable to catch a killer walking around with a gas canister under his arm
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The police in the USA must be brutal, unable to catch a killer walking around with a gas canister under his arm
    Its Hydrogen gas so he is travelling light.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I'll throw in my top 5 Coens for good measure

5. Fargo
    4. The Hudsucker Proxy
    3. No Country For Old Men
    2. O Brother, Where Art Thou
    1. The Big Lebowski

I enjoyed Intolerable Cruelty and The Man Who Wasn't There as well, I thought Ladykillers was muck though, the only movie of theirs I wouldn't ever consider watching again

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    Its Hydrogen gas so he is travelling light.
    Mobility wasn't Anton's forte. He paced himself like a zombie.

But the modern portable nail gunner might have something similar to this

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Have to say I thought this film dragged on a bit too much. I enjoyed the storyline and found it entertaining but it could have been half an hour shorter IMO.

And I didn't get the old man talking nonsense in the kitchen scene at the end.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Best bit in Old Country for me was the tension surrounding the hotel room scene.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    No Country for Old Men

Who got the money in the end? PM the answer as opposed to spoiling the end for people.
    Don't really think the money is the point. Read Yeats' 'Sailing to Byzantium' and it gives a different perspective on the film.

As regards the Cohen Bros as a whole, I'm a fan, but I don't rate them as highly as most people on here seem to. No Country For Old Men along with Fargo would be my favourites, followed by Barton Fink and the Hudsucker Proxy. Blood Simple I thought was downright boring as well as being poorly cast and acted. As for the Big Lebowski - prepare yourselves - I HATE that movie. No one will ever convince me that it's in the slightest bit funny, I sat through the whole thing and didn't laugh once. I obviously didn't get it seeing as everyone insists on telling me how hilarious it is, but I found the whole experience to be mind-numbingly boring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaiste! View Post
    Don't really think the money is the point. Read Yeats' 'Sailing to Byzantium' and it gives a different perspective on the film.

As regards the Cohen Bros as a whole, I'm a fan, but I don't rate them as highly as most people on here seem to. No Country For Old Men along with Fargo would be my favourites, followed by Barton Fink and the Hudsucker Proxy. Blood Simple I thought was downright boring as well as being poorly cast and acted. As for the Big Lebowski - prepare yourselves - I HATE that movie. No one will ever convince me that it's in the slightest bit funny, I sat through the whole thing and didn't laugh once. I obviously didn't get it seeing as everyone insists on telling me how hilarious it is, but I found the whole experience to be mind-numbingly boring.
    good post, don't agree on lebowski but the rest yea. coens had definitely lost some of their mojo and i don't think their stuff holds up as well as some might argue. i watched Miller's Crossing recently and it was entertaining but nothing i'd bother with again. double-treble-quadruple-crosses without the requisite "oomph." No Country could've used the same format though, Lee Jones doing philosophical voice-overs that quoted directly from the italicized sections of the book, the parts that lend the title its gravity. the other stuff, the chase, money, violence are just framework without the meaning. and i thought the movie only grazed a deeper, darker meaning when lee jones SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER tells the story of his dream at the end. beautiful scene, coulda come right off the page.

aussie bloke who directed The Proposition with Nick Cave is directing McCarthy's book that came after No Country, "The Road." amazing novel.
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    For me;

1. Fargo
    2. No Country
    3. Raising Arizona
    4. Blood Simple
    5. Miller Crossing

Fargo would be in my top ten all-time.
    "Football is a game you play with your brain".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken foree View Post

aussie bloke who directed The Proposition with Nick Cave is directing McCarthy's book that came after No Country, "The Road." amazing novel.
    Can't wait for the Road to hit the big screen alright, as long as some of the more gruesome scenes from the book are kept in it'll be alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaiste! View Post

I haven't seen that many of their films, but I think they're a little overhyped. Fargo is great, and I loved No Country For Old Men (though I can appreciate that anyone without a tolerance for a slow paced film might find it dragged a little), but Lebowski is one of the most overhyped films I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, I found many of the jokes funny, but it's a decent film that everyone talks up like it was greatest comedy ever made. I've also seen O Brother, which is good, but again seems to be talked up more than it's worth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12