Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EL players in National Team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Doyle is intelligent. Its probably one of his biggest attributes.

He was played on the wing for the majority of the season, and scored 6 goals, more than people like Andy Johnson(who is brainless)

He's definetly mid-table EPL level.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post

O'Callaghan was considered one of the league's shining lights when he moved to Ipswich (mid table Championship) was he not? What an impact he had there. He might become a solid League One player next season. Doyle is a solid Championship player, not intelligent enough to be an effective Premiership striker over a few seasons and I really think he should be dropped for the national team at this stage (Keane/Doyle partnership doesn't work).
    To be fair to Georgie who I admit is not Championship standard, he did not fail at Ipswich, the fans did rate him and Georgie was the 3rd choice central midfielder. Georgie asked for a loan to Brighton where he took the **** in League 1. He came home to City by choice after asking for a release from his Ipswich deal, in fact he is/was being paid more by City now then he was being paid by Ipswich believe it or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Do you think any of them are capable?
    No. I always thought Owen Heary could have made the step up, but he's had his day.

I was just watching MNS and witnessed a pretty good pass by Keith Fahey, and was thinking maby a player like Fahey would thrive with the pace of International football and playing alongsid good players like Keane and McGeady.
    I was at that match. Granted, he made 2/3 runs with the ball as Derry were caught up the pitch. But Derry were so bad, you or I could have made a positive impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Not a chance. The best EL players are of League One standard, which is two tiers where the required level is.
    I agree. You'll always get the exception though.

After watching Bohs and Pats (and Derry) in under a week, I'm left with the feeling that there is still a very very long way for players to get to International level standard. They are not going to get there playing in the EL each week.

An honest opinion from an ardant LOI fan.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    while at the moment i think No, it also has to be said that there are far better players than Jonathan Douglas playing each week in the eL.

one thing has to be said that at the time, Crowe and Byrne deserved their call up and Crowe can certainly be said to have played very well against Greece. Byrne was unfortunate that he didnt score a goal during his 20 second cameo

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I have said plenty of times before that I dont think any LOI player is good enough for a place in the international team, but Mooneys goal scoring record over the last couple of seasons might make him an interesting option considering his height. I do think though to get a regular starting place he would have to be playing regularly in a higher standard league
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Are league of Ireland players good enough for the starting 11?
    Hell no, not yet.

Are they good enough to make up the squad / subs bench, rather than plastic paddies from the Championship / League 1?
    Too bloody right they are. It's not so much a question of quality, but more the larger question of precisely where you draw the line in picking a squad of "irish" players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Byrne was unfortunate that he didnt score a goal during his 20 second cameo
    Or against Chile
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkCut View Post
    Playing Rhyl, TNS, Aberdeen, Lovech etc.. (I know Shels played Depor and Bohs played Celtic once upon a time) Hardly counts as European experience does it??
    Last year, Derry City played Pyunik and most of their players played for the Armenian national side. Cork played a Cypriot team a while ago and it's possible that some of their players played for the Cyprus team, though I'm not sure. Over the years el teams have played Romanian, Serbian, Swedish and Croatian sides which had full internationals in their line-ups.

Playing against sides that have full internationals is invaluable experience.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Or against Chile
    yet another outstanding contribution to a discussion from tetsujin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Thumbs up

Dave Mooney. Well able for the national team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Cork played a Cypriot team a while ago and it's possible that some of their players played for the Cyprus team, though I'm not sure.
    Appollon had several cypriot internationals, several iraqi internationals and a polish international striker Lukas Sosin (3 caps, 2 goals). A few months later Ireland lost to a Cypriot team containing several Apollon players, in the very stadium City had beaten them.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Dave Mooney. Well able for the national team.
    On what basis? Is he more deserving than say Clinton Morrison? A man proven to have a good understanding with Keane, and a guy who is coming off the back of a very good season in the Championship

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    yet another outstanding contribution to a discussion from tetsujin.
    Byrne, consistently one of the top scorers in the eL - contributed little or nothing in 2 games (ok, one cameo, and one substitution) - to the international scene. Since then he's had a failed move to Cardiff where he scored on his debut (a tap in IIRC) and did little or nothing following that. If Trap/Brady/Tardelli recommended the Cardiff sub striker tomorrrow, the eL fans on the forum would be up in arms, but this player would be as good as Byrne, if not better.
    Crowe, as you say, did play well against Greece up front alongside Gary Doherty, but since then, his star has fallen somewhat in the eL, and (IMO) is no longer good enough to be considered for international selection.
    There are some good players in the eL - I'm not denying that - but what they, and the fans, are going to have to accept is that success in the English game is going to be the benchmark for success for the forseeable future. Right now there are probably 5-7 MAX players in the league that could be brought in to improve the senior international squad, but few (if any) of these would improve the first choice starting XI (assuming no injuries or suspensions)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    On what basis?
    From seeing him play, duh!!

Is he more deserving than say Clinton Morrison? A man proven to have a good understanding with Keane, and a guy who is coming off the back of a very good season in the Championship
    Maybe not, but is prob more deserving than other players that get picked in the squads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Last year, Derry City played Pyunik and most of their players played for the Armenian national side. Cork played a Cypriot team a while ago and it's possible that some of their players played for the Cyprus team, though I'm not sure. Over the years el teams have played Romanian, Serbian, Swedish and Croatian sides which had full internationals in their line-ups.

Playing against sides that have full internationals is invaluable experience.
    Armenia!!!!!!!!!!! Mate who would you rather play against to gain experience Armenia or Crystal Palace (8 full internationals in their first team squad including 3 Irish) Longford played Vaduz (Practically the Liechenstein team) was that genuine European experience?? These sides are rubbish. As for Limassol, well fair enough they are about the same level as Cork City. Trap could put out a team of EL Players against Armenia or Liechenstein and expect to win, he could do the same against Cyprus and maybe expect to draw but as a footballing nation that is not the level we should be competing at. The question should be are there any EL players capable of making a significant contribution to our WC qualifying campaign (Cos if they cant they should not play international football). The answer must be no, who in the EL could compete against the Italians - they may have the latent talent to do so but they do not have the experience.
    As for whoever said there are EL players as good as the players in the Irish squad, could you name a team of 11 to beat Given, O'Shea, Dunne, McShane, Kilbane, Mcgeady, S. Reid, A. Reid, Duff, Keane, Doyle? just for starters.
    Help something bit me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Trap could put out a team of EL Players against Armenia or Liechenstein and expect to win
    I don't think anyone is arguing to have a team of EL players. People would like to see players who are a genuine talent in Ireland given a chance to represent their country. I really can't see why the likes of Fahey (who IMO is the only EL player anywhere near ready) can't be given a chance in freindlys to prove himself. If he flops, fair enough he's not good enough and we move on but the fact is because he plays in Ireland he will most likely never be given that oppurtunity to prove himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    From seeing him play, duh!!
    I saw him play this season and thought he was a diving, over-rated hack, we all have opinions but thankfully there are better criteria for selection than what a few fans of a certain player think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
    I don't watch EL football so I'm not an expert on this but how far away do those of you who do watch it reckon we are from seeing an EL side in the Group phase of the Champions League?
    Unfortunatly a bit off yet but then it can always be down to a break of a ball and a top team off form.

Colin Healy it would have to be for me. Doesnt get half the praise he deserves
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Do you think any of them are capable?

I was just watching MNS and witnessed a pretty good pass by Keith Fahey, and was thinking maby a player like Fahey would thrive with the pace of International football and playing alongsid good players like Keane and McGeady.
    in a word - "NO"

maybe give the like of mooney and co a chance in a friendly but absolutely not in a competitive game

I would love to see the EL be more represented in the national team - but fact is , they just aint uo to the standard required
    Last edited by back of the net; 03/07/2008 at 1:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Armenia!!!!!!!!!!! Mate who would you rather play against to gain experience Armenia or Crystal Palace (8 full internationals in their first team squad including 3 Irish)
    Armenia beat Poland 1-0 in the Euro qualifying and drew with Portugal, Finland and Serbia all at home. Therefore, EL teams travelling to play ties in those places are going to get a real experienece of what the national team would face.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast