Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Andy Reid

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Andy Reid

Kerr was at the Coventry-Forest match last night where Reid happened to bag 2 goals, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call up. It would be great to see a Forest player get called up to the Irish squad. Forest have always had an Irish contingent but none have made an impact on the International scene since Keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    was McPhail playing, or has he gone there yet?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Think its the oppurtunity McPhail needs to get a few games under his belt. A lot of Irish players seemed to have been not quite good enough to make it in the premiership and have suffered by playing reserve matches for a number of seasons. The first division is an excellent league and a fine place to ply their trade.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by petef
    Think its the oppurtunity McPhail needs to get a few games under his belt. A lot of Irish players seemed to have been not quite good enough to make it in the premiership and have suffered by playing reserve matches for a number of seasons. The first division is an excellent league and a fine place to ply their trade.
    It's a great chance for MacPhail. The 1st division should toughen him. It diid the likes of Duff and Reid no harm at all.

Tell me. What is Andy Reid like. Where does he play left or right or thu the middle.
    I heard he's known as Little Figo at Forest. Is he that good?

Overall things are starting to look up for Ireland in terms of young midfield players coming thru.
    Forest have got Reid, MacPhail.
    Sunderland have Healy and Thornton.
    Coventry Barret and Doyle.
    And then there's Liam Miller at Celtic.
    All of whom will get regular 1st team football this season.

The future is looking very bright. There are a number of potential replacements vying for Holland, Kinsellas and Kilbanes places.
    Healy, Doyle, Delap, O'Shea, Stephen Reid, Thornton, Miller, Andy Reid and MacPhail.

We could have a very very good team for the next WC.

Sheridan
    Originally posted by colster
    We could have a very very good team for the next WC.
    This time last year, people were talking about what a great team we'd be able to put out in the European Championships. Instead, the usual suspects are still being trotted out on the basis that "now is not the time to experiment."

I'm afraid there's NEVER GOING TO BE a good time to experiment, especially since international friendlies were essentially abolished by Alex Ferguson and his bullying Premiership cronies. I fear that the likes of Holland and Kinsella will still be turning out for Ireland as long as their legs allow them to, and everyone will go over the hill together. It happened at the end of the Charlton era, and the team's fortunes didn't recover for over five years.

I'm afraid Brian Kerr (whose appointment was the best thing to happen to Irish football for years) will just have to take a chance on some of the younger and less experienced players. Even if this team qualifies for Euro 2004, what's it going to achieve?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by Sheridan
    This time last year, people were talking about what a great team we'd be able to put out in the European Championships. Instead, the usual suspects are still being trotted out on the basis that "now is not the time to experiment."

I'm afraid there's NEVER GOING TO BE a good time to experiment, especially since international friendlies were essentially abolished by Alex Ferguson and his bullying Premiership cronies. I fear that the likes of Holland and Kinsella will still be turning out for Ireland as long as their legs allow them to, and everyone will go over the hill together. It happened at the end of the Charlton era, and the team's fortunes didn't recover for over five years.

I'm afraid Brian Kerr (whose appointment was the best thing to happen to Irish football for years) will just have to take a chance o some of the younger and less experienced players. Even if this team qualifies for Euro 2004, what's it going to achieve?
    I think we'll have a good squad for Euro 2004 if we qualify.
    If we do I expect a few players to get in or around the first team.
    Who would have thought that Morrison, Reid or Healy would have made it to the WC before the friendlies we had prior to the WC.
    They are 1st team members now and thus replacing Quinn, Kilbane and Kinsella.
    I fully expect that given the same opportunity the likes of Delap,Thornton and Barrett will push very strongly for inclusion in Euro 2004.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't think Kerr can be faulted since he took over. No manager will drag in unknowns for vital qualifying matches & because hes a new manager he needs to get use of seeing his bench players in action in friendlies.

Moving promising players into senior level too soon can often backfire - has taken Duff years to fulfill his promise at international level.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Sheridan
    Originally posted by pete
    I don't think Kerr can be faulted since he took over. No manager will drag in unknowns for vital qualifying matches & because hes a new manager he needs to get use of seeing his bench players in action in friendlies.

Moving promising players into senior level too soon can often backfire - has taken Duff years to fulfill his promise at international level.
    I see the point you're making, but one could also argue that the likes of Holland and Carsley etc needed time to adjust as well, and were given ample opportunity.

The important thing to remember is this: inexperienced players MAY be a risk, bad players are ALWAYS a risk.

But I suppose this attitude is fairly common in this part of the world. In cricket, for example, England are (or were) often accused of throwing young players into pressurised situations and then discarding them when they wilted. A new Australian cap, however, goes out in the knowledge that he'll have four or five tests to do himself justice.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In fairness Holland is relatively new to the squad esp. as a regular. Mick McCarthy was notoriously loyal to the players who played for him as much as they were able.

McCarthy said it all when he choose Kennedy and Carsley for the squad for the World Cup instead of Reid and Healy. Reid did replace Kennedy but I thought Kerr would bring in some more younger players. He more than anyone should know what they are able for.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Silvio Dante
    Andy Reid is essentially a left winger with a great shot on him. He has pace and good control. He went off the boil 2 seasons back but showed great determination to get back his first team place. problem is We already have Duffer as our left winger. But Reid should be deffo on the bench as an alternative if needed....
    Can see Reid being a very good alternative to Duffer,especially with the Chelski man so injury prone.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reid played more of a central role behind the front two the other day but I don think that suits the Irish team as the Duff experiment against Albania discovered. A more than able back up on the left though I reckon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He used to be a forwar didn't he? Very in the Robbie Keane mould when played up there, so could be good back up for Keane too.