Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Just spent the afternoon watching Nadal v Djokovic in the semi finals of the Madrid Masters. Over 4 hours and I honestly don't know where the time went - an extra-ordinary game. Nadal won 11-9 in a 3rd set tie-breaker, but Nadal was roared on by his home crowd, yet Djokovic wasn't phased one bit - has a real chance of beating him if they meet in the French i think, but his fitness will somehow have to improve. Great game, some great tennis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

U.S. Open!

Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce View Post
    But if Marcos Baghdatis plays two singles and shares a doubles game, Cyprus are 2 and a half games up before Ireland takes to the court?

Also its about experience and development obviously.

I'd like to think we have a chance against Cyprus, Monaco is a differnet prospect though.
    The start of the US Open reminded me of this thread. I know he's suffered with injuries, but my god Baghdatis' fall from grace has been incredible.. nothing like the player he was 3 years ago. Hopefully he'll get back up the rankings some day.

As a Hewitt fan, it looks like my interest will decrease after round 3 (Federer). Lleyton is playing with tendonitis in his knee, so I'd actually be happy with a 3rd round exit - as long as it's respectable. Seeing as this would move him up the rankings. It would be fantastic if he could get back inside the top 20 for the AO

Other than Hewitt, I'll be rooting for Murray,Nadal, Roddick and Luczak. Good luck lads!!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    20 year old Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro claimed the US Open title, beating Roger Federer in the final. Great win for Juan, pretty much the only Argentine tennis player that I've ever liked as well!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Da Gull View Post
    20 year old Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro claimed the US Open title, beating Roger Federer in the final. Great win for Juan, pretty much the only Argentine tennis player that I've ever liked as well!!
    Gabriela Sabatini

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    In the Davis Cup semis Spain beat israel and Czech republic beat Croatia.

Latvia and Finland were promoted out of Group II and Rep. of Macedonia and Great Britain join Ireland in Group III for next year.
    (oh please, oh please, oh please.)
    Our Andy says he's available but........

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...o-win-1.921132
    "ANDY MURRAY claimed last night that relegation to the third tier of the Davis Cup might be the best thing that could ever happen to British tennis and hinted that it might allow him to pick and choose his fixtures in future.

Defeat to Poland in Liverpool’s Echo Arena means that trips to such tennis backwaters as Bulgaria, Lithuania and Ireland all lie in wait when the draw for Group 2 of the Europe/Africa Zone in 2010 is made on Wednesday.

Ranking
    http://www.daviscup.com/ranking/current.asp
    How it works
    http://www.daviscup.com/ranking/points.asp
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Ireland have been drawn to face Turkey. The tie will take place in Dublin. The winners will face the winners of the Great Britain-Lithuania clash

Come on Ireland! Though it would be the same situation as the Cyrprus tie v Baghdatis, as you mentioned HarpoJ, with Britain being two-and-half rubbers up if Murray were to play against us.. it's still hard not to wish for a tie against GB.

Of course, it wouldn't be wise to look past Turkey at all. Hopefully the lads do themselves proud!
    Last edited by Stevo Da Gull; 15/12/2009 at 1:29 PM.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Historic Day For Irish Tennis!

Louk Sorensen has qualified for the main draw in the Chennai ATP tour event, the first Irish player to do so this century (Possibly the first to do so since his father qualified for Wimbledon, but I think I'm wrong on that one).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Got a beating but he's one unlucky player. He's been plagued with injuries and could make the top-100. Conor Niland is still doing well, and I think it's interesting to follow our other players, they do well on the 10k circuit but like the UK, in Ireland only Wimbledon counts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Yeah, I reckon the heavy loss in the first round had to do with how much effort was needed in his three qualifying matches. Being so injury prone, he probably hasn't built up the best stamina, and playing the day after a three set win might have effected him a bit. Then again, I didn't see the match, so I'm just guessing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Still fair play to him for getting that far - he moving on to Australia to try to qualified for the Open - that will be tough but good luck to him.....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Spot on Stevo, just making the main draw is a major achievement at his ranking, alot of players stay safe in lower grade events but he does have the ability to go further, at least top 100. The lad Morrissey looks like he could make something of a career of the game, he's only 17, ranked top-60 in the Juniors and with some financial support could be a top 100 pro in the next 3-4 years. I hope Tennis Ireland keep up their support for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Both Sorsenan and Niland won they first qualifying match in the Aussie Open .... good start for both ... 2 matches to get through yet though ....

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    Both Sorsenan and Niland won they first qualifying match in the Aussie Open .... good start for both ... 2 matches to get through yet though ....
    (thanks for this)

It gets better. In the second qualifying round both Niland and Sorensen defeated USA opponents that were seeded in qualifying. Third round Conor Niland lost in three sets to Ricardo Hocevar (BRA) but Louk Sorensen beat a Kiwi in two sets, one tie-break.

He plays on Court 11 Monday mid-afternoon Melbourne time against Yen-Hsun Lu (Taiwan/Chinese Taipei).
    http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...w/atpl575.html

Australia Day One schedule
    http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...ule/index.html
    Last edited by HarpoJoyce; 16/01/2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: If it's 'Monday' it must be Melbourne
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce View Post
    (thanks for this)

It gets better. In the second qualifying round both Niland and Sorensen defeated USA opponents that were seeded in qualifying. Third round Conor Niland lost in three sets to Ricardo Hocevar (BRA) but Louk Sorensen beat a Kiwi in two sets, one tie-break.

He plays on Court 11 Monday mid-afternoon Melbourne time against Yen-Hsun Lu (Taiwan/Chinese Taipei).
    http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...w/atpl575.html

Australia Day One schedule
    http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...ule/index.html

Fair play for him just to make the First Round ... really hope he put in a good display now .....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Because I have a day off I figured, I'll sit back, relax and watch some sports. Lo and behold, the Paris Open tennis is on and I figure, watch it. I log onto a certain Irish betting site and stick a tenner on one player to win. She starts like a train, wins the first, leads 4-2 in the second, now it's ad against, 5-5 second set. My certain win looks a lot less certain!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Ireland kick off their Davis Cup campaign at Fitzwilliam this afternoon. Up against Turkey, should be a tough tie, hopefully the carrot of getting Great Britain in the next round will be enough to see them through. Best of luck to Sorensen, Niland, and co. for the weekend!
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn, it's what seperates us from the animals!! Well... except for the weasel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Is there anywhere to get game by game updates?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Your best bet is the tennisireland website www.tennisireland.ie they usually have the scores in at the end of every match. If your looking for game by game updates it can be quite tough to find, you could try the Davis Cup site but I think they would only do game by game updates for major ties.
    Failing that its the standard news buletins from RTE and the likes to keep you informed. If I hear anymore I'll post up here!
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn, it's what seperates us from the animals!! Well... except for the weasel.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Just found a twitter account as well which might be useful
    http://twitter.com/Tennis_Ireland

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Good news!! Ireland have won the first rubber 3 sets to love. James McGee winning 6-2, 6-2, 6-4. Seemed pretty comfortable.
    The bad news is it looks like Sorensen has been injured again and won't be playing in this tie, which could be a major factor come Sunday. Hopefully Niland, King and McGee can keep the results coming.
    Conor Niland is up next against a pretty useful Turk, hes 121 in the world. No easy task!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast