Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Euro 2008: Lessons for Ireland?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We definitely need to do something about the ongoing influx of Irish youngsters going to Britain but that is not something that can be done overnight and isn't something that we learned for Euro 2008.

I do agree that we need to learn to play on the ground a lot better and we need to improve our player's learning in terms of technical ability. However, whilst it's not ideal that Irish kids learn the game in England, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole coaching system is overhauled in England soon what with the amount of foreign managers going to the English league. It might not make a difference as they obviously can't do anything about kids learning in the back garden or what teachers in schools teach kids about the game but it may do.

Anyway, Euro 2008 has taught us a lot about what we can do in the short term. We have a fairly technically gifted midfield but there's no point in having that if our defenders constantly bypass them by hoofing the ball up to our strikers, especially when we don't have a natural target man. Keane is better at receiving the ball at his feet and not in the air. I know our defenders aren't great passers, but how hard can it be for Trap to tell them to just play it simple to the midfield instead of booting it up field. If we continue to play long ball football then we are not playing to our strengths and if we are to eradicate this we need to ensure that the defence obeys this as most moves will inevitably start from the back.

If we are to use a 4-2-3-1 formation (a lot of people seem to think that this would get the best out of our team) then overlapping FBs are essential, as Euro 2008 proved. However, in the first post Stutts said that we need to have FBs playing on their natural side (ie. left footers on the left and right footers on the right). Whilst this can help in terms of building attacks, it's not essential as Germany made the final with Lahm playing on the left despite being right footed and he was quite good there and Germany built up a lot of attacks from that side. If Delaney continues to impress for us then he will hopefully start on the qualifiers and this won't be a problem, but I wouldn't have a massive problem with a right footer playing on the left. One thing that does worry me though is that Trap didn't seem to use overlapping FBs in his first two games. Then again, they were only friendlies and we were using 4-4-2 where overlapping FBs aren't as essential.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    - Overlapping, attacking full backs was a major theme. This means having right footers at RB and left footers at LB.
    After the QF's I looked at the stats and the 3 players that had played the most passes in the tournament were all full backs (Lahm, Grosso and Zhirkov). Capdevila was 5th at the time. The top 2 after the tournament are Lahm and Ramos. Full backs certainly did play a huge part.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    Stop trolling.

Im happy to criticise a state of affairs that doesnt work in the best interest of Irish Football or of our underage players. Your happy to support that state of affairs because your imagination cant contemplate any alternative.
    Possible solutions -
    - regional acadamies with top class coaches with a unified coaching philosophy that take the place of the english clubs in player development.
    -ban on players going abroad until they reach a certain age.
    -academy teams playing games against other academy teams in europe.
    -a feeder system so players can move easily into the Eircom League
    -Greater support for the league from great Irish public
    A radical idea might be to put a quota of young players for Eircom League teams, for example each EL team must have 8 players under 22 in their starting lineup. Thsi would mean saying the EL is a developing ground for potential internationals and woudl reduce European success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Dont think the fans would be too happy with that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The Scottish League has implemented something similar over the last few season, not sure if this change alone made much of a difference or not, but you can't deny that Scotland's results have been improving.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ireland will need to learn how to keep hold of the ball better and that makes andy reid a MUST in the middle of the park....best irish left peg since liam brady

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345