Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiddink

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    What makes you think Hiddink was interested in the job? Other than fans talking about it in various blogs, is there any quote from Hiddink saying he would like the job?
    Exactly. Other than wishful thinking on our part, is there any evidence that Hiddink was EVER a serious contender to be Ireland boss?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    What makes you think Hiddink was interested in the job? Other than fans talking about it in various blogs, is there any quote from Hiddink saying he would like the job?
    Have to agree, I don't think it was ever a realistic option outside of tabloid talk and the internet. As it is Abramovich is doing what Denis O'Brien is doing with Trap except he's paying pretty much all his wages. No way could we have matched what was on offer from Russia had we waited without a benefactor stepping at at that stage and I don't think O'Brien was considering it back then. Hiddink also had a billionaire Aussie paying a good part of his wages when he was in charge there so he's used to a very hefty salary.

Funny enough, I doubt that the Russian Joe Duffy's (Joesf Duffski anyone?) radio talk show was buzzing with people ringing in bitching about the Russian Football Federation allowing someone to contribute to their managers salary when he was appointed.....
    Last edited by Drumcondra 69er; 24/06/2008 at 12:09 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    I think this sort of mindset is a bit unfair. The FAI aren't psychic. All you can do is make a judgement at the time. In my opinion they have gotten it right with Trap regardless of how results go. They got the best man at the time. If he fails then, unless the FAI have put obstacles in his way, you cannot hold it up as an example of their incompetence.
    in hindsight, the stan appointment was a disaster but the mindset of the time was that a few countries had experienced success with novice managers who were recently retired internationals e.g van basten, klinsman and the thinking behind the stan appointment was that he would bring that a bit of passion to the set up that was absent during Kerrs reign (and arguably is still missing now).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    in hindsight, the stan appointment was a disaster but the mindset of the time was that a few countries had experienced success with novice managers who were recently retired internationals e.g van basten, klinsman and the thinking behind the stan appointment was that he would bring that a bit of passion to the set up that was absent during Kerrs reign (and arguably is still missing now).
    And that's fair enough but you can't turn around and slate the FAI after the event for hiring him in the first place if you agreed with that decision at the time. They, I assume, thought along the same lines about why Stan was the right man for the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    And that's fair enough but you can't turn around and slate the FAI after the event for hiring him in the first place if you agreed with that decision at the time. They, I assume, thought along the same lines about why Stan was the right man for the job.

I agree and at the time it was a big gamble, but if Bobby Robson was on board troughout things could have turned out a lot different. At the time the pressure was on the FAI to make a quick appointment and the only other candidates mentioned were your usual journeymen managers. They took ages to appoint Kerr and in that case as well the only other contenders semmed to be your average journeymen again.

Hopefully this time around we have struck it lucky.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12