Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close to tears at an international

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Close to tears at an international

I am sure we have all seen the pitcures of the Croat players who were in bits at the end of the quarter final with Turkey , but my question is have you ever been Close to tears at an international ??????

I will start it off , as after we were beaten in Orlando in 94 the wife went to the toilet at the end of the game and came out in bucketfulls of tears . I asked her what happened all she said was everybody else was crying , I must admit I had to fight them back myself .

But not to be out done
    As my first time at a GAA ground V Wales last year for my whole lifetime I have been told that soccer would never be played at Croke Park and as soon as the band stuck up the national anthems I must have got dust in my eyes as I couldn't hold them back . I will say fair play to my mate as he never said anything just a nod that's all .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    I am sure we have all seen the pitcures of the Croat players who were in bits at the end of the quarter final with Turkey , but my question is have you ever been Close to tears at an international ??????

I will start it off , as after we were beaten in Orlando in 94 the wife went to the toilet at the end of the game and came out in bucketfulls of tears . I asked her what happened all she said was everybody else was crying , I must admit I had to fight them back myself .

But not to be out done
    As my first time at a GAA ground V Wales last year for my whole lifetime I have been told that soccer would never be played at Croke Park and as soon as the band stuck up the national anthems I must have got dust in my eyes as I couldn't hold them back . I will say fair play to my mate as he never said anything just a nod that's all .
    My daughter has the centre pages of the Sun on her wall in her room, from the day after Basle 1, it's tilted "It's all over now" with the time, and loads of pictures of fans including her bawling thier eyes out at the full time whistle. They keep missing me, i must be an ugly b*****, or something anyway couldn't count the number of times ending up in tears after games, Brussells, Suwon etc, games we should have one, and of course Anfiled and the end of the Charlton era, that was the most special one because even the Dutch stayed in the ground and gave Charlton a heroe's ovation.

Slightly off thread, but I was shown an old ticket for Charltons 1st game in charge against Wales, and it had his picture on it, does anyone remeber was this a one off or not, I remember being on the south terrace but not the picture on the ticket.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Cried in Orlando when we lost and cried in Stuttgart when we won.
    "Football is a game you play with your brain".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    My daughter has the centre pages of the Sun on her wall in her room, from the day after Basle 1, it's tilted "It's all over now" with the time, and loads of pictures of fans including her bawling thier eyes out at the full time whistle. They keep missing me, i must be an ugly b*****, or something anyway couldn't count the number of times ending up in tears after games, Brussells, Suwon etc, games we should have one, and of course Anfiled and the end of the Charlton era, that was the most special one because even the Dutch stayed in the ground and gave Charlton a heroe's ovation.

Slightly off thread, but I was shown an old ticket for Charltons 1st game in charge against Wales, and it had his picture on it, does anyone remeber was this a one off or not, I remember being on the south terrace but not the picture on the ticket.

I have a ticket from that game with his picture on it as well. I don't remember it on any of the tickets for the following games.
    'And Crouch must score'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I cried when we lost in '02 to spain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull-4-life View Post
    I cried when we lost in '02 to spain.

me too, only night in the three weeks i didnt drink, was numb, really felt we were going through, had even got onto lufthansa to change flight home, till after semi final.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I cried when we scored against Germany in 2002.

I cried when Mendieta's(was it?) penatly went in in 2002.

I cried when Russia beat us 4-2 in Moscow in 2002.

Most of the time I get really depressed after an Ireland game. The match against Israel was the worst I have ever felt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    against Holland in 88 - i was 11. So embarrassing...

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Last minute equaliser by Macedonia, was devastated
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    anfield in 96, the spanish penalty kick knockout in 2002. The worst I've ever felt was after the matches against Israel in 04-05 and the Slovakia match last year.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I actually felt physically crushed after the Spain result. I'd sweated bucket loads and totally lost my voice, I spent most of the extra time hidden behind the chair taking quick glances at the screen. Anyone would have thought there was a snipers nest in the front room.

I've been dissapointed so many times over the last decade or so (Macedonia, Israel, Cyprus, France (H), Russia, Swiss (H), the anguish of Orlando and Rome) but Spain will forever be the one that got away...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    The Macedonia game...forgot that one. Jesus that was tough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Macedonia. To be that close, basically if we had headed the ball out we would have qualified for Euro 2000, was heartbreaking. I was crying like a fool for half an hour. The fact that Macedonia celebrated the goal like they had won the world cup, and the fact that the goal insured qualification for their hated neighbours Serbia annoyed me that bit more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I cry every game I see John O Shea in an Irish shirt.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joey4ireland View Post
    I didn't cry but I nearly did when Croatia got a late winner in the away game for the euro 00 qualifiers. It was so fustrating and the ref was totally against us.
    Jesus ye that was a dark day I distinctly remember my older brother smashing the tv remote to pieces against the living room wall and storming out of the room cursing McCarthys negative tactics/our further retreating backline when Suker got that injury time winner...against both Croatia and Macedonia in that group we were qualified going into injury time but just totally screwed up.

The last time I cried was when we lost that play-off against Turkey.
    Before that the only other time was in Brussels for World Cup 98 play-off...I balled my eyes out behind the goal after that game. All I'd known before that was Ireland qualiying for World Cups...this was a harsh sad reality of things returning to normal
    Last edited by Armando; 22/06/2008 at 10:40 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    When we lost to Switzerland and failed to qualify for the World Cup in 2006.

When we lost to Spain I took it on the chin but I did cry when Keano scored the penalty.

I was crying for hours when we lost to Belgium in the play-off for the 1998 World Cup. I still remember Oliveria being allowed to play on when the ball was 5 yards out of play
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

not sure i cried but.

not sure i cried but was never more depressed then after the shootout vrs spain in 02 and that croatia game too.i was so emotionally drained after that spainish game in 02 that i was in bed and asleep at 4/5pm that afternoon.
    im more into hurling so i did cry at the end of every all ireland hurling final ive been at that my beloved galway lost since 1990,90,93,01 and 05.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeNiro View Post
    [/B]

I have a ticket from that game with his picture on it as well. I don't remember it on any of the tickets for the following games.
    I think the following game against Uruguay also had Jack's picture on the ticket. It was a big deal at the time that we had picked an outsider as manager. I think there may have been one other game where we had an FAI official's picture on the ticket as it was a testimonial for some former president or something. It does say something about the Association when people got Fran Fields got a testimonial and Dave Langan can't get one.

On the crying front, I do remember fighting back tears in Brussels and Suwon. There were tears of joy though when Dave O'Leary scored in Genoa, when we beat Holland in Lansdowne, when Robbie scored in Ibaraki and sitting in a bar in Dublin when we clinched qualification in Tehran.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post

But not to be out done

I think the closest to actual tears was when we lost to Italy in 1990. Macedonia in 1999 was a heartbreaker.

I've endured the crushing disappointments all along the way like the rest of us - Beating Turkey away and England nicking a goal in Poland to stop us going to Euro 92, Holland in 94 finals and 95 play-off, Belgium in 97, Macedonia and Turkey in 1999, Switzerland in '03, France and Swiss in '05..........

We endure all of this because we are safe in the knowledge that you can't really appreciate a great win without having experienced the lows of whats outlined above.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    First time was watching Alan McLoughlin equalising in Windsor '93....jaysus just balled me eyes out at that, Italy in 94 aswell....

Haven't really cried at the disappointments but for some reason Slovakia away in the last campaign really knocked the stuffing out of me.....didn't move from me seat for about half an hour after the final whistle and couldn't face going out that night I was so gutted....the problem was that I knew that feckin equaliser was coming as soon as we went ahead!!
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast