Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Close to tears at an international

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I was in slane at a U2 concert when Ireland played Holland,they showed the match on a big screen and there was tears all over when Jason McAteer scored...what an atmosphere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prince20 View Post
    I was in slane at a U2 concert when Ireland played Holland,they showed the match on a big screen and there was tears all over when Jason McAteer scored...what an atmosphere
    80,000 going mental when he scored. It was class!

Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    I cry every game I see John O Shea in an Irish shirt.
    I cry at the thought of John O Shea in an Irish shirt.
    "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I've never cried at a game (or when watching on tv or playing) but admit to depression/anger/despair for a couple of days if the result turns out to be a real sickener like conceding a last minute goal or going out on penalties - thanks a lot Spain.

Slovakia away was the most recent game of football that left me sickened. John O'Shea got a lot of abuse from me that night. The try that we conceded against France in the six nations last year also left me stunned for a few days afterwards. Sport can be a cruel game.

Robbie Keane scoring that goal against Germany (2002) on the flip side was pure joy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Pretty much all the games mentioned above, i think Croatia and macedonia in the space of a week a few years back was brutal. Spain 02 was probably the most depressing because we really shouldve gone through. Just to add another to the list, Israel at home, after been two nil up, the better team, that fcuking goalkeeper they had and AOB getting sending off. lost the plot that night.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    I am sure we have all seen the pitcures of the Croat players who were in bits at the end of the quarter final with Turkey , but my question is have you ever been Close to tears at an international ??????

I will start it off , as after we were beaten in Orlando in 94 the wife went to the toilet at the end of the game and came out in bucketfulls of tears . I asked her what happened all she said was everybody else was crying , I must admit I had to fight them back myself .

But not to be out done
    As my first time at a GAA ground V Wales last year for my whole lifetime I have been told that soccer would never be played at Croke Park and as soon as the band stuck up the national anthems I must have got dust in my eyes as I couldn't hold them back . I will say fair play to my mate as he never said anything just a nod that's all .
    I'd cry if I was told I had six months to live. As for crying because Ireland got beaten in a game I'm thankful to say it's an experience I've never had. Ffs you should be all used to it by now anyway.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Came closest at a different game v Spain. It was 1993 when we came to celebrate qualification and found ourselves 3 down after half an hour. We were getting stuffed, it was raining and I looked around and saw there were suits leaving early (after 30 minutes!). That's when I felt the tears welling up.

In the second half, the sun came out, John Sheridan scored, which meant we only need a draw in Belfast .....
    Together with all our hearts.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    When was the last time we saw any of our players cry when they lost an important match? It was interesting to see how devastated the players of Croatia and the Czech Republic were when they lost in comparison to the high profile French and others. I cant really remember how our players reacted after the Spain penalty kick defeat but i do remember Shay Given being in tears after Belguim knocked us in the play offs in the 90's.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Good point about players not crying much.

A few did when we lost to Spain but i suppose that WAS the world cup.I think ive only ever seen Shay Given and Kenny Cunningham crying at the end of non tournament games like playoffs etc.
    Someone mentioned that Israel game at home with their keeper etc,i was soooooo depressed after that but i have fond memories of that night as my gf at the time cheered me up alot.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I'd cry if I was told I had six months to live. As for crying because Ireland got beaten in a game I'm thankful to say it's an experience I've never had. Ffs you should be all used to it by now anyway.
    Nail on the head. I don't get this current trend of lads falling over themselves to tell other lads the amount of crying they do. I've noticed it most recently with Munster fans. "I cried in Cardiff!", "So did I!" I'm always suspicious of lads that cry at sporting events. If we lost a world cup final on penalties to England, then you are allowed cry. If anything less than that drives you to tears you are offically a blouse. God help this country if there's a war.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    Nail on the head. I don't get this current trend of lads falling over themselves to tell other lads the amount of crying they do. I've noticed it most recently with Munster fans. "I cried in Cardiff!", "So did I!" I'm always suspicious of lads that cry at sporting events. If we lost a world cup final on penalties to England, then you are allowed cry. If anything less than that drives you to tears you are offically a blouse. God help this country if there's a war.
    You see Jinxy, myself like a lot of others on here it means something to us as I knew at the start of this thread that some would have a pop as it was only to be expected . Now if you don't get it well maybe you never will ......

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I've never cried after a game, be it Ireland or Limerick, and I've been following both since I was about 10. I've been disappointed (Spain 2002), gutted (Croatia away in..99?), and disgusted (Switzerland away 2003?), but never close to tears.

I dont see shedding tears as any sign of greater fandom that those who don't cry either.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    You see Jinxy, myself like a lot of others on here it means something to us as I knew at the start of this thread that some would have a pop as it was only to be expected . Now if you don't get it well maybe you never will ......
    You are right, I don't get it. If my team loses I get as gloomy and p*ssed-off as the next man, but if anyone in my circle of mates started blubbing he'd be told pretty quickly to cop himself on. Maybe I'm a bit old school when it comes to public displays of emotion. As the song says "Boys don't cry."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull-4-life View Post
    I cried when we lost in '02 to spain.
    Came very close to tears that night myself
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    cried myself too sleep when jimmy quinn scored against us in 1993 but my old man woke me up and rest is history.

i cried when we drew with lichtenstein away. macedonia away was cruel also.

i remember because the turkish game was not on tv for euro 2000 i got extremely pis*ed off at final whistle with the radio.

amount times i have felt gutted after ireland games

whoever said"the luck of the irish" could not have been more wrong in international football terms anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Spain in 2002 and Switzerland in 2005 (end of the first qualifying campaign where I watched every game), though are we talking sobbing or just like 5-6 tears
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    Maybe I'm a bit old school when it comes to public displays of emotion. As the song says "Boys don't cry."
    As the other song says "Cry Like a Man".

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    "Cry like a man." Sounds like appalachian folk music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    At the age of ten, when Luis Garcia scored the second for Mexico in USA '94, I bawled my head off. I almost shed a few tears during the Belgium game in '97 too. As if on cue, I got 'The Boys in Green' by Sean Ryan for my 14th birthday, and soon realised that painful, heartbreaking eliminations were par for the course for Irish teams. Since then, I've been schooled in accepting Irish defeats.

I did smash a coffee mug off my sitting-room wall during the Cyprus game, though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    good idea for a thread...em spain 02 but it wasnt till I saw a tacky montage later that night and only for a second

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think I cried but losing to the Dutch so late on and missing out on a place in the Euro 88 Semis hurt the most imo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast