Thread: McShane Injury

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

McShane Injury

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=15072

Lets hope the lad can get back playing asap, as no one like to see a player injured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    dont like to see any player injured but hav to admit that i breathed a sigh of relief when i heard mc shane would miss the opening qualifiers. do not think that he is up to international standard and is always on the brink of a major mistake. hopefully andy o brien will be back and if not John o shea. would probably even hav carsley at centre back, just not mc shane!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats not much of a vote in confidence in your new manager, happy that he will have less players to choose from in case he plays someone you dont like or feel is up to it.

Hopefully Paul will be fit for the start of the season and I for one believe he will be one of our starts of the future and will benefit hughly from Trap's influence and from playing alongside Dunne.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I read it as not much of a vote of confidence in McShane rather than in Trapp.

It maybe that Scooby has watched Sunderland more than Trapp has. I think he is accurate in his assessment.

I also hope he will be fit soon, though I'd rather not see him in a green jersey, not until he transforms anyway.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    It begs the question of how he got injured on holiday!
    Anybody can have a fall
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Thats not much of a vote in confidence in your new manager, happy that he will have less players to choose from in case he plays someone you dont like or feel is up to it.

Hopefully Paul will be fit for the start of the season and I for one believe he will be one of our starts of the future and will benefit hughly from Trap's influence and from playing alongside Dunne.
    I have total confidence in Trap, just none in Mc Shane. There are other players in the squad who, i believe, can do a better job. the world cup qualifying group is going to be very tight and we cannot afford to have a mistake prone paul mc shane up against the likes of del piero, luca toni, berbatov, petrov etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    I have total confidence in Trap, just none in Mc Shane. There are other players in the squad who, i believe, can do a better job. the world cup qualifying group is going to be very tight and we cannot afford to have a mistake prone paul mc shane up against the likes of del piero, luca toni, berbatov, petrov etc.
    I dunno,After his performance in the Euros Id nearly be happy enough to see even Alan Kernaghan make a come back to keep Toni in check

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    If you have total confidence in Trap and if there are other players who would do a better job than McShane aren't you confident Trap would pick them instead?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

McShane injury

At the moment Trap seems overly dependent on Brady's (and possibly Givens) hazy knowledge about which players are actually qualified to play for us. St Ledger is potentially a much more accomplished player than McShane who has demonstrated his agonising shortcomings all season. He makes Titus Bramble look like Beckenbauer!! THe Columbia and Serbia games were a massively wasted opportunity to blood genuinely promising players (Garvan, Scannell, Walters, S. Quinn, St Ledger even McCarthy) who have had successful seasons, and only told us what we already knew about Miller and McShane (ans suspected about Whelan) that they are not good enough for international football. You cannot blame Trapp. He had next to no time to get to know the players and was dependent on thise who should have known better. There is know virtually no time to introduce new players before the qualifiers. OUr only centre back pairing, assuming O'Brien doesn't come back is Dunne / O'Shea.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    At the moment Trap seems overly dependent on Brady's (and possibly Givens) hazy knowledge about which players are actually qualified to play for us. St Ledger is potentially a much more accomplished player than McShane who has demonstrated his agonising shortcomings all season. He makes Titus Bramble look like Beckenbauer!! THe Columbia and Serbia games were a massively wasted opportunity to blood genuinely promising players (Garvan, Scannell, Walters, S. Quinn, St Ledger even McCarthy) who have had successful seasons, and only told us what we already knew about Miller and McShane (ans suspected about Whelan) that they are not good enough for international football. You cannot blame Trapp. He had next to no time to get to know the players and was dependent on thise who should have known better. There is know virtually no time to introduce new players before the qualifiers. OUr only centre back pairing, assuming O'Brien doesn't come back is Dunne / O'Shea.
    Spot on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I have to agree, the problem here is DG who has I believe too much influence in selection, hence McShane, Bruce and O'Dea.

What is a surprise is that St Ledger hasn't been given a chance yet under Trapp, as St Ledger plays more like an Italian defender, in as much as he reads the game well,has pace, good on the ground and in the air, brings the ball out of defence and is good on the ball.

St Ledger had an oustanding season last year at PNE, winning all of the Player of the year wards, yet despite this, Trapp or should I say DG, went for McShane and Bruce in the squad, two very limited players, both of which IMHO wouldnt even get into the PNE side, so how the hell do they make it into the Ireland squad!

Trapp needs to get out and about and see for himself who is playing well, isnt that what all top international managers do?

Then again perhaps he dosen't fancy watching Sunderland Reserves on a wet Wednesday night!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    went for McShane and Bruce in the squad, two very limited players, both of which IMHO wouldnt even get into the PNE side
    That's a bit much, McShane played regularly for West Brom in the Championship, and finished ahead of Preston in 2006/2007. Last season Bruce turned out for Ipswich 31 times. Preston spent most of the season battling relegation, whatever about Ireland, I reckon they'd both fit straight into last season's PNE team.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    That's a bit much, McShane played regularly for West Brom in the Championship, and finished ahead of Preston in 2006/2007. Last season Bruce turned out for Ipswich 31 times. Preston spent most of the season battling relegation, whatever about Ireland, I reckon they'd both fit straight into last season's PNE team.
    They both lack pace and PNE play football so they wouldn't fit into how PNE play.
    Go and watch PNE and St Ledger and then you would change your opinion, St Ledger should be in the Ireland Squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    They both lack pace and PNE play football so they wouldn't fit into how PNE play.
    Go and watch PNE and St Ledger and then you would change your opinion, St Ledger should be in the Ireland Squad
    I never said St Ledger shouldn't be in the Ireland squad, I said that I thought Bruce and McShane would both get into last season's PNE team, based on their performances in the Championship.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I never said St Ledger shouldn't be in the Ireland squad, I said that I thought Bruce and McShane would both get into last season's PNE team, based on their performances in the Championship.
    totally agree. McShane gets over critisized on this forum for such a young defender. He has had some good performances as well as some games where he has made some bad mistakes but at this time to say that St Ledger is that much better than him when he is untested is unfair.Yes he probably should have been included in the recent squad to have a look at him but until Trapattoni gets some proper time in the job it is possible that he is going to let some players slip under the radar a bit but Im confident that if any player is good enough he will be in the squad in the next few months
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 27/06/2008 at 12:11 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Fair enough, but having watched over 50 championship games this last season, I have seen both St Ledger and Bruce play on many occassions, in addition to that I saw McShane play at WBA the season before that on many occassions too.

From this I believe that St Ledger is the better all round player, thats just my opinion, he has to at the very least be given a chance in the squad and to not include him in the recent squads for the friendlies, was a very bad decision.

I don't buy this Trapp needs to get to know the players rubbish, maybe we should take a look at the people who are advising him then and make them accountable.
    After all at the end of the day we want the best Ireland team possible, but how can we get that when players that are performing consistantly well at club level, keep getting overlooked whilst lesser players and those out of form keep getting picked.

That sounds a bit like a certain managers, U21 selection policy to me!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm not one to gloat at someone elses misery and I hope he makes a full recovery but is this really shocking news for Ireland????

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I'd like to see McShane play as a defensive midfielder... I think it could suit him to have a little bit more freedom...

I also thought he played very well at right back for West Brom on occasion... he got forward quite a lot and seemed to enjoy it...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    I'd like to see McShane play as a defensive midfielder... I think it could suit him to have a little bit more freedom...

I also thought he played very well at right back for West Brom on occasion... he got forward quite a lot and seemed to enjoy it...
    Not sure that he is mobile enough.I think if he can learn to read the game maybe he can become a good centre back.He is still young for that position as some centre backs do not come into their own until mid twentys[Dunne for example]He is a bit small though for this position but that has not stopped cannavaro[now i am dreaming]

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've always fancied him as a defence midfielder too... always seen him as another Roy Keane and expected Keane to turn him into that... didn't happen yet at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast