Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racism.....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Racism.....

Just a quick question, as I know virtually nothing about football in the Republic of Ireland:

Is racism a problem in the Irish game? Is there a sectarian problem?

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    not on any organised basis no

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    There's always a moron or two per club who will throw our racist chants to 'impress' their mates, i can only talk about cork city games, but they are almost always told to shut up and stop being idiots.

Derry city get 'what's it like to have a queen' chants, which i guess could be deemed sectarian, but this is pretty rare and usually again the morons who don't know what derry went through up north before joining (and improving) our league.

TheRealRovers
    Never see any racism their is a bit sectarian chanting with ex Linfield players not to big of a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok
    Derry city get 'what's it like to have a queen' chants, which i guess could be deemed sectarian, but this is pretty rare and usually again the morons who don't know what derry went through up north before joining (and improving) our league.
    I don't think there's anything sectarian or malicious whatsoever about that Tiktok, it merely something which winds the opposition up, same as calling Rovers homeless (altough undoubtably there's more malicious intent in that).
    Champions!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Racism.....

Originally posted by Jeff Jefty Jeff
    Is racism a problem in the Irish game? Is there a sectarian problem?

Jeff
    I have lived in London for a number of years, where Raism is more or less accepted. Racism as far as Kildare County is concerned does not exist, you do get the ref is a ****er etc, which comes from 12/13 year olds from watching sky. Kildare County is more or less a family club, you can see babies at matches.
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    yeah colm, i think you're right, i was just stretching for an example to be honest and it was all i could come up with. thankfully sectarianism and racism isn't a problem in the EL, long may that continue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Exclamation ...........................................

yeah colm, i think you're right, i was just stretching for an example to be honest and it was all i could come up with. thankfully sectarianism and racism isn't a problem in the EL, long may that continue.
    Hear hear !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This chant really annoys the feck out of me, I mean do ye not know what we went through?...Cross dressing was the only way to survive the war, although some did come to enjoy it. Plus Shirley Temple Bar is on RTE not BBC....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for the information. So, here's another quick question, out of interest. What does the Eircom League lack that Premier League football provides (apart from matches throughout the winter)? Also, out of all you supporters out there who have read this or have already replied, do you support a team in another country, like a Premier League or Scottish Premier League club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    as someone who cant afford to go to england every week the english premier league has nothing to offer me as I need to be part of a live football crowd for my footballing fix, preferably a pats crowd for a bit of a laugh

sky sports et al is just a sit down sport, some like that sorta thing, not my cup of tea

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I support United, but I was brought up in Manchester and had a season ticket in the stretty and was home and away before I came over..... Try and get back 2 or 3 times a season, but that'll probably go up now with the winter close season here......
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have Sky in my house so when there's a match on I'll watch it, I like to follow the English game to follow the Irish national teams players, I don't think that interferes with following Shels, different days and now different times of the year.

As for what the premiership lacks that the EL has, atmosphere would be the main thing, espically for the clubs with Tiffo groups. That's the kind of thing that's unique to here when compared to the English league., and obviously just going to matches rather then watching them on TV is a unique experience in itself.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Excuse my ignorance, but what does Tiffo mean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Tiffo groups do the huge fans display you'll see at some groups, normally they get get huge Serie A style flags and banners and the like to put a fans display on before the matches and to try and get as much colour as possible, I'm sure someone could explain it better then me mind but that's pretty much it.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Originally posted by Slash/ED
    As for what the premiership lacks that the EL has, atmosphere would be the main thing, espically for the clubs with Tiffo groups. That's the kind of thing that's unique to here when compared to the English league., and obviously just going to matches rather then watching them on TV is a unique experience in itself.
    While I'd agree with the going to a live match, the whole atmosphere is a bit of misnomer.....

All ticket, all seaters are the main problem in england, and the pricing out of the game of the hard core. Having said that United now have a singing section, and up there (as the plc put it in the second tier) the atmosphere is better than anything I've seen here (sorry to those that offends)... Although still not as good as the Stretty/ United Road of old...

On the whole tifo thing - I knew of a lad who brought a flare to a United game - the dibble did charged him for firearm offences (SEI be warned)!!!!

btw Tifo is an italian crowd who supply flares, smoke bombs etc etc... I think tifo.it is their website...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Inane Fact of the Day: The word 'tifo' comes from 'tifosi', the insane Italian Ferrari GP fans.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    No, tifosi is the generic word used to describe all "insane" italian fans, there are Juventus tifosi, just like there are Ferrari tifosi... its just that the British media know it best from the Ferrari example
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Macy
    While I'd agree with the going to a live match, the whole atmosphere is a bit of misnomer.....

All ticket, all seaters are the main problem in england, and the pricing out of the game of the hard core. Having said that United now have a singing section, and up there (as the plc put it in the second tier) the atmosphere is better than anything I've seen here (sorry to those that offends)... Although still not as good as the Stretty/ United Road of old...

On the whole tifo thing - I knew of a lad who brought a flare to a United game - the dibble did charged him for firearm offences (SEI be warned)!!!!

btw Tifo is an italian crowd who supply flares, smoke bombs etc etc... I think tifo.it is their website...

i personally wouldnt say the atmosphere is better its just that the atmosphere for most irish based fans of the english league is just the pub atmosphere of watchin it on sky, everytime I'll pass on this thanks

also the craic wouldnt be as good in any case in england as

a)its not local for me
    b) i wouldnt get the in-jokes/banter
    c)the game is too big and corporate over there for any real craic and many of their real fans complain that it has been poncified by big business and family nonsense

thats all I feel - could be way off havent been to agame over there in years

TheRealRovers
    Also, out of all you supporters out there who have read this or have already replied, do you support a team in another country, like a Premier League or Scottish Premier League club?
    No. I'm Rovers till I die. No one else but Rovers I hate the english Premier League

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast