Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: New Under 20 Division of the Eircom League

  1. #1
    Youth Team amjl's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kilkenny
    Posts
    109
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    New Under 20 Division of the Eircom League

    Does anyone know when the new Under 20 League is starting & what teams (other than all 22 league teams) are entering?
    "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

  2. #2
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    52°29'N 8°36'W
    Posts
    1,508
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    426
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Its starting in September running through to March or April.

    Dont know who will be in it yet, expect the usual suspects (as in clubs who've typically entered the U21's).

    Apart from the later staring date and the new age limit I expect the format to be unchanged from U21's.
    LTID

  3. #3
    Capped Player Schumi's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    A difficult place to get three points
    Posts
    10,742
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    203
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    351
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevB76 View Post
    Dont know who will be in it yet, expect the usual suspects (as in clubs who've typically entered the U21's).

    Apart from the later staring date and the new age limit I expect the format to be unchanged from U21's.
    Apparently non-EL teams won't be able to enter this year. http://www.mayoadvertiser.com/index.php?aid=6334

    I don't understand the point of that. Why not let teams play at as high a level as they can?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

  4. #4
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    52°29'N 8°36'W
    Posts
    1,508
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    426
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Apparently non-EL teams won't be able to enter this year. http://www.mayoadvertiser.com/index.php?aid=6334

    I don't understand the point of that. Why not let teams play at as high a level as they can?

    So if that's true it means no involvement of Kilkenny City either! Strange decision, I dont see the point of it.
    LTID

  5. #5
    Youth Team amjl's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kilkenny
    Posts
    109
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevB76 View Post
    So if that's true it means no involvement of Kilkenny City either! Strange decision, I dont see the point of it.
    Yeah i got a worried when I read that article but I've subsequently found out that apparently City retained their "EL status" so they can take part in the under 20 league.

    Its sucks for that Mayo team, especially after playing in the U-21 league last year. I mean trying to build up as a club and move up the divisions the properr way & then they get knocked back.
    "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

  6. #6
    Seasoned Pro BohsPartisan's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Dublin 7
    Posts
    4,623
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjl View Post
    Yeah i got a worried when I read that article but I've subsequently found out that apparently City retained their "EL status" so they can take part in the under 20 league.

    Its sucks for that Mayo team, especially after playing in the U-21 league last year. I mean trying to build up as a club and move up the divisions the properr way & then they get knocked back.
    Probably a ploy to try and force them into the A League
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

    The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

    All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

  7. #7
    Youth Team amjl's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kilkenny
    Posts
    109
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Probably a ploy to try and force them into the A League
    Surely, it would be better if Castlebar were to be playing in the new under 20 league for a as season or two first before applying to join the A Championship?
    "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

  8. #8
    First Team passerrby's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,725
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    28
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    214
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Probably a ploy to try and force them into the A League
    methinks your right
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Similar Threads

  1. Eircom Premier Division 2008
    By Raheny Red in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02/02/2008, 1:21 PM
  2. Eircom and 1st Division Knowledge + A Microphone
    By theworm2345 in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13/08/2006, 11:13 PM
  3. eircom Premier Division Permutations
    By blutil in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10/11/2005, 10:54 PM
  4. Dublin City win eircom Division One
    By Ringo in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30/11/2003, 10:49 AM
  5. Which is better; Eircom League of English 2nd division
    By applehunter in forum World League Football
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17/05/2003, 12:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •