Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Italy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Firstly, Luca Toni isn't a Serie A striker any more, next Del Piero's peak is right now given his 2nd half of the season form and how he not only finished top scorer but player of the season also.

And I'm not sure exactly what a "stocking" is supposed to mean, it's kind of an odd insult but if you're implying those three have no skill well then I'm dumbfounded. They're argubly the 3 best strikers in the world. What strikers would you class above them?

I dont need to reply to this as everyone else has.

Will make the point though that we've just seen probably the two best strikers in the World - Torres & Villa.

PS As for ESPN - they must have had exclusive rights to Euro 2006.
    Last edited by stojkovic; 10/06/2008 at 8:23 PM.
    "Football is a game you play with your brain".

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post

I dont need to reply to this as everyone else has.

Will make the point though that we've just seen probably the two best strikers in the World - Torres & Villa.

PS As for ESPN - they must have had exclusive rights to Euro 2006.
    agreed stojkovic

apart from villa and torres, i could easily name at least 7 / 8 other strikers who i would have upfront ahead of luca toni and ibrahamovic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    It's not as clear cut as 3 best, what I mean is that they are in the top tier and that there is no striker that I would say is distinctively better than those 3.

Zlat
    Trezeguet
    Del Piero
    Toni
    Villa
    Torres
    Van Nistellroy
    Drogba
    Eto'o
    Totti

Those are who I would regard the top tier strikers of the game at the moment, who's better than who on that list is down to conjecture, but I certainly wouldn't take an outsider ahead of any of those. Each of them have had magnificent records in the past two seasons so I would think it rather ignorant for any soccer fan to claim they "don't rate" any of these on the above list.
    thats a fine bit of backtracking, you're original post used the 2nd half of season gone by as proof for including del piero yet now you are going on the past 2 seasons, if thats the case where are henry, klose, ribery, podolski, I could go on, these are all as good if not better than the 3 you speak of so highly (especially going back over 2 seasons), yet they are not even in your 'top tier' list
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Torres
    Villa
    Berbetov
    Drogba
    Eto
    podolski
    Henry
    Karim Benzema
    Lesandro Lopez
    Van Nistelrooy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    - Henry has had a woeful last 2 seasons, how could you possibly argue to the contrary? He didn't play in the 2nd half of his last Arsenal season at all and when all options are fit isn't good enough to make the Barca starting team. Why would you possibly rank him ahead of people like Trezeguet and Zlat who scored respectively 20 and 17 goals last season and the latter being one of the highest Champions League scorers?
    because neither fo them would get in the barcelona starting line up either. The only comparison you can have between henry and Trezeguet is that they were both eligible for the French squad, and only Henry was picked.

Anyway, back to the original point. there's no way anyone in italy would swap their squad for ours. They are immeasurably better in most departments
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    You do realise that Podolski is behind not only Toni, but Klose too at club level?
    yeah there's no way i'd have him or eto'o down as one of the best strikers in the world. Also, Henry's very much past his best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    "It was not a good display and there are many problems in the team in defence, midfield and in attack," said Tardelli.

"There are two sources for this, psychologically and physically. I don't think this team is mentally strong enough at present, there's just not the right amount of determination and strength to win games."

Jaysus Marco - Don't rile them up!
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    - Ribery isn't a striker
    - Klose is 2nd to Toni at club level (who I mentioned)
    - Podolski is 3rd in that chain behind Klose and Toni.
    - Henry has had a woeful last 2 seasons, how could you possibly argue to the contrary? He didn't play in the 2nd half of his last Arsenal season at all and when all options are fit isn't good enough to make the Barca starting team. Why would you possibly rank him ahead of people like Trezeguet and Zlat who scored respectively 20 and 17 goals last season and the latter being one of the highest Champions League scorers?
    Do Trezeguet and Del piero not play for the one club, if so why are you pointing out klose being 2nd to toni? I didn't actually say I rated those players higher than the 3 you mentioned, I was merely pointing out that your 'top tier' seemed to be missing quite a few players of equal quality to those you listed. I think Henry's 12 goals from 30 odd games for Barca isn't the sign of a bad player
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    It's not as clear cut as 3 best, what I mean is that they are in the top tier and that there is no striker that I would say is distinctively better than those 3.

Zlat
    Trezeguet
    Del Piero
    Toni
    Villa
    Torres
    Van Nistellroy
    Drogba
    Eto'o
    Totti

Those are who I would regard the top tier strikers of the game at the moment, who's better than who on that list is down to conjecture, but I certainly wouldn't take an outsider ahead of any of those. Each of them have had magnificent records in the past two seasons so I would think it rather ignorant for any soccer fan to claim they "don't rate" any of these on the above list.
    well i rate toni as a good player but not on the levels you seem to hold him at - i would not even consider him if i had the option of playing drogba , van nistl:, torres , etoo, totti, del piero, torres etc and i could say many more

but everyone has their own views i guess

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zlat
    Trezeguet
    Del Piero
    Toni
    Villa
    Torres
    Van Nistellroy
    Drogba
    Eto'o
    Totti

I won't go into a long argument about this but making lists like this and saying that nobody else is better than any of those is very subjective and a bit stupid. You could make cases for Adebayor, Benzema, Berbatov, Keane, Raul, Henry, Rooney, Tevez, Mario Gomez, Arshavin, and of course Aguero who is meant to be one of the best young players on the planet. I'm sure there are a good few more who could be placed above some of those on the list. Also, would Villa have made it onto your list this time yesterday?

Anyway, how this is relevant to Ireland I don't know (or Italy for that matter).
    Last edited by jmurphyc; 11/06/2008 at 2:48 PM.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    I won't go into a long argument about this but making lists like this and saying that nobody else is better than any of those is very subjective and a bit stupid. You could make cases for Adebayor, Benzema, Berbatov, Keane, Raul, Henry, Rooney, Tevez, Mario Gomez, Arshavin, and of course Aguero who is meant to be one of the best young players on the planet. I'm sure there are a good few more who could be placed above some of those on the list. Also, would Villa have made it onto your list this time yesterday?

Anyway, how this is relevant to Ireland I don't know (or Italy for that matter).
    good post jmurphy - would agree with it all bar 2 things

1) villa would have defo been on the list prior to y'days performance

2)i wouldnt call someone saying someone else is better a bit stupid - every1 views the game in their own way and hence why we all have different opinions - hence the reason for the foot.ie board - cant have a debate if we all had the same opinions on players

as for aguero - potential , so they say - havent seen him , but if were including potential into the list - then ,huntelaar has to be in

but its all a matter of opinion - but good post mate

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    183 Posts
    I feel the italians can still come good. Gona put a sneaky fiver on a Holland V Itlay final as they will be kept apart from now on.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    I feel the italians can still come good. Gona put a sneaky fiver on a Holland V Itlay final as they will be kept apart from now on.
    I'll give you a million to one. (Check the draw)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    Torres
    Villa
    Berbetov
    Drogba
    Eto
    podolski
    Henry
    Karim Benzema
    Lesandro Lopez
    Van Nistelrooy
    To be honest lads, i can't believe Ronaldo isn't included in yer lists. He's not really a winger - as mentioned in another thread he plays in the same position as Henry. He's an excellent striker - even if he is a complete t***er.

Would never include Podolski either - don't rate him at all. I'd include Tevez also in the worlds top strikers list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    To be honest lads, i can't believe Ronaldo isn't included in yer lists. He's not really a winger - as mentioned in another thread he plays in the same position as Henry. He's an excellent striker - even if he is a complete t***er.

Would never include Podolski either - don't rate him at all. I'd include Tevez also in the worlds top strikers list.
    agree with u on tevez - but thats why i said i could mention many more top strikers -there is loads of class strikers out there

BUT...... ronaldo ....... no way mate ...... he is good but not great

watching him be very average in european competitions(champs league) is just humerous

he is actually quite limited and very over rated

another average performance for portugal last night despite him scoring.....he does not play well against continental opposition ... he ends up getting marked out of the the game

but agree... what a complete t**ser (-;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    agree with u on tevez - but thats why i said i could mention many more top strikers -there is loads of class strikers out there

BUT...... ronaldo ....... no way mate ...... he is good but not great

watching him be very average in european competitions(champs league) is just humerous

he is actually quite limited and very over rated

another average performance for portugal last night despite him scoring.....he does not play well against continental opposition ... he ends up getting marked out of the the game

but agree... what a complete t**ser (-;
    one of the most pathetic, blinkered posts i have ever read. and im not a United (or Real ) fan.

he scored one, created the other two and had 2 or 3 more decent shots on target. He was a constant thorn in the side of a very good Czech team. If thats an average performance in your book then id like to see a great one.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    one of the most pathetic, blinkered posts i have ever read. and im not a United (or Real ) fan.

he scored one, created the other two and had 2 or 3 more decent shots on target. He was a constant thorn in the side of a very good Czech team. If thats an average performance in your book then id like to see a great one.
    Skstu - i dont rate ronaldo as a great player - and also i dont rate that czech team as a VERY GOOD czech team - i think they are an average side and if we had a proper manager in place for the euro qulaifiers - then i think it would have been us playing the portugese that night , not the czechs

I think that this tournament has been one of the lowest quality european championships in years

considering the opposition the portugese faced (czech rep) - i would not call his performance a GREAT performance , when the portugese face one of the better european sides (of which the czechs are not ) or when united play a top european side , ronaldo is barely in the game

- so ,mate , equally i could call your opinion "blinkered" , but i wont cos everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Just watching the great Luca Toni in action at the moment.

Absolutely shocking, Torres would have had a hat-trick.

Dunphy was wrong. He's not a poor mans Peter Crouch, he's a poor mans Tony Cascarino.
    "Football is a game you play with your brain".

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

I absolutely hate Manchester United, but I watch a lot of football and for my money Cristiano Ronaldo is hands down the best player in the world at the moment. Messi is the only guy up there with him and he was injured for the second half of last season.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast