Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Italy

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    I think people are reading too much in to the result last night. It was a relatively even game and the Dutch were just very clinical. Italy are still an excellent side and they could still win the tournament. I'd still rate their chances of doing so as better than the Dutch's.
    In a way I agree with you

But here's question.....

Would you have said the same thing had it been Ireland who were on the wrong end of that scoreline??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I thought Italy were the dominant side until the Dutch scored. The Dutch arent as good as they are being painted after the game and the Italiens arent as bad as they have been made out despite the 3-0 loss.

If there is a rematch in the final (as in Euro 88) my money would be on Italy. It was just one of those nights for the Dutch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    that won't be possible thanks to the pre-determined draw, they will meet at the semi-final stage afaik, if they both get out of the group and win their 1/4 finals.
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'll cheer for what I think might be slightly better for us.
    Italy are now the enemy.
    It has all the signs of a Disastero for them

Myself, I think the tomatoes are being stockpiled in Rome.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Firstly, Luca Toni isn't a Serie A striker any more, next Del Piero's peak is right now given his 2nd half of the season form and how he not only finished top scorer but player of the season also.

And I'm not sure exactly what a "stocking" is supposed to mean, it's kind of an odd insult but if you're implying those three have no skill well then I'm dumbfounded. They're argubly the 3 best strikers in the world. What strikers would you class above them?
    Seriously mate if you think that Ibrahimovic, Toni and Trezuquet are the three best strikers in the world you need your head examined. Do you honestly think they are better than Torres, Villa, Adebayour, Benzema, Henry, Tevez, Rooney,Drogba,Berberatov, Van Nistleroy,Eto,and I could name a lot more. Ibrahimovic is possibly the most over rated player in football,when it comes to the big occasion he flops just like he did in Champions league this year when he was needed most against Liverpool,he was awful in that tie. Trezuquet couldnt even make the French squad for this tournament and Toni while good in the air is very very slow.To claim that these 3 are the 3 best strikers in the world is your most ridiculous post in a long line of ridiculous posts
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Seriously mate if you think that Ibrahimovic, Toni and Trezuquet are the three best strikers in the world you need your head examined. Do you honestly think they are better than Torres, Villa, Adebayour, Benzema, Henry, Tevez, Rooney,Drogba,Berberatov, Van Nistleroy,Eto,and I could name a lot more. Ibrahimovic is possibly the most over rated player in football,when it comes to the big occasion he flops just like he did in Champions league this year when he was needed most against Liverpool,he was awful in that tie. Trezuquet couldnt even make the French squad for this tournament and Toni while good in the air is very very slow.To claim that these 3 are the 3 best strikers in the world is your most ridiculous post in a long line of ridiculous posts
    Exactly. I can't make my mind up on whether this Ciaran head is a total wind up merchant, a possible psychopath or just someone who knows nothing about football whatsoever?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Unless some of these lauded young Italian players can step up to international level and inject some life into their ancient team, I think Italy could be in for one hell of a transitional period, ie. Germany during and after France '98. I don't think they will make it through, too many players are past their best, and Donadoni isn't the man to lift them up again after such a demoralising defeat. I can envisage a number of retirements after the tournament.

Come the 2010 qualifiers, they should have enough about them to top the group, but if they're rebuilding under a new manager, you never know. Trap has a lot of work to do with the Irish team, but the early fixtures are all winnable; if we can win the first two away games and keep on improving as the group goes on, we could run Italy close. Last night was encouraging, at the very least.

And Ciaran, Italian football, whether you like it or not, is not what it used to be. Rangers' workmanlike two-legged win over Fiorentina, Celtic's victory over Milan, Inter's feeble surrender against Liverpool, Italy's capitulation last night... These results aren't coincidental. There's a problem in Italian football. The young players just aren't there in enough numbers. De Natale was anonymous last night, when compared to the young Dutch lads like Engelaar and Affelay.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 10/06/2008 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Is Italy having a bad tournament beneficial for Ireland?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    You using Domenech's judgement as reason for Trezeguet's lack of worth is all I need to mention to dispell your opinion's worth. Trez was 2nd top scorer in Serie A this season, and he generally is most seasons. He's not there because he doesn't get on with Domenech, supposedly he slept with his wife.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...832&type=story
    Im using the fact that Ive seen him play enough to make my own judgements and I agree with Domenechs decision not to have him in the French squad,Im still laughing at the comment that those 3 are the 3 best strikers in the world. At the moment I would rate Robbie Keane higher than Ibrahimovic and Trezuquet. And as for Tresuquet finishing second highest goal scorer in Serie A, Ive already mentioned that I have a pretty low opinion of the standard of Serie A these days
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Is Italy having a bad tournament beneficial for Ireland?
    Good question - a poor showing could re-double Italy's resolve for the 2010 qualifiers.

Complacency after a good showing can sometimes affect teams.

There'll be a lot of water under the bridge between now and April 09.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Its one game kids. They could go out and beat France and beat Romania, and before you know it, they're back in the Quarter Finals looking strong. Minus Cannavaro, Nesta and Totti last night. Those players replacements hardly look inspiring. It baffles me how Ambrosini is in the team and De Rossi is left on the bench. Toni was uncharacteristically poor. Materazzi had a shocker. Grosso proved that he should've started the game ahead of Panucci when he came on. If we played Italy while they were missing a few good players, then yeah, maybe, but their strongest side is still streets ahead of most.

I'd rather we had France in the qualifiers going on yesterday. Italy will always be strong in qualifying. Its just under a year until we play them. A lot of football to be played between now and then. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
    Thursdays are Oriel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Firstly, Luca Toni isn't a Serie A striker any more, next Del Piero's peak is right now given his 2nd half of the season form and how he not only finished top scorer but player of the season also.

And I'm not sure exactly what a "stocking" is supposed to mean, it's kind of an odd insult but if you're implying those three have no skill well then I'm dumbfounded. They're argubly the 3 best strikers in the world. What strikers would you class above them?

That says it all really!!! 3 best strikers in the world! please tell us you're taking the p155 ...
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    One thing I'll say about the merit of being Serie A top striker. Rolando Bianchi was top scorer in 06/07! Man City superstar!
    Thursdays are Oriel.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Torres anyone???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Totally agree with jmurphyc post, the dutch took there chances and italians missed a good few. They were poor at the back mainly due to the Dutch pace but we have no pace in our teamso it doesn't make a difference.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

3 best strikers in the world???hahahahahaha

WTF are you taking???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    The result means nothing in relation to Ireland. We can still qualify automatically though, but as Brady said that match isn't until April 09. They will probably be back on form come the 13th of June, let alone the 1st of April 2009.

I think someone like Del Piero will not cause Ireland problems, and neither will Toni(McShane is good against players like him)

I would be more concerned about Pirlo and Zambrotta, and someone like Aquilani.

I think its important to remember that Italy are not going to trash us, and will have to be at near their best to get a result against us. I don't fear the 90 minutes in Italy against the Italians, but I do fear the added time.

I'm not expecting a result against them or anything but has been mentioned with McGeady and Duff we could score goals against them on the break.

Just to add, if Italy do beat us(which I would expect them to) it will be a set-piece, and not some free flowing goal. The Italians are a strange great team, because they don't really score goals even though they don't play so much in the typical Italian way anymore. Like at the World Cup I thought their style of play was very good on the eye.
    Last edited by irishultra; 10/06/2008 at 2:43 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I will judge how good the italians are sometime around March 30th of next year. They will either be superb, or very very good. This tourney is irrelevant, but they are always a quality side.

I would not be surprised if they beat the french and romanians 1-0 and go on to win this tournament. In which case it still doesnt change how I felt about them before it started. The italians and Germans are by far and away the two toughest teams to draw in European or world cup qualifying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    to be honest, whether italy have a nightmare of a tournament or whether they wn it, I have no doubt that they will have a completely different teamsheet come september.

there are some outstanding young italian talents coming through and still enough top class old pros for them to be one of the best teams in the world in the next campaign.

I do see them dropping points, even at home. however, that is nothing new with italy, even with their great teams.
    I agree 100 per cent. I think this present team, once great, has had its day. The team we'll be facing is sure to be different, and better.

But one positive for us is that the new team is sure to need time to knit together - perhaps they'll be there for the taking in April and September next year...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I think age is the key here. They had two under 30 starting yesterday (Barzagli/Pirlo). Assuming that they can't persuade a few back and there are a few retirements there could be a huge change, esp under a new manager. Now to be fair Italy have the sort of resources where they could throw together a new team under a new manager and click immediately but the odds are against it. Looking at the squad they are going to have to think hard about the future. If they continue with the current team for this world cup (which they could), they will have a huge change required post 2010. This could easily see them in a huge slump. IN effect they would have to skip a generation and go with guys currently in the Under 21's. It's a touch choice for them and it will be interesting to see who the new manager is.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast