Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Seamus Coleman

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    boo boys is working for me. Tidy start for Coleman. Getting forward well and looks comfortable on the ball and tenacious in the tackle. James Wallace in midfield looks good too. Only 16/17 I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Everton 1 up, weird goal
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    1-0 up, goalkeeper missed the ball after a shot from the half way line!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Coleman playing very well so far, made a great run in the 12 minute, nearly set up a goal. One of the commentators said "He's a promising young lad, could be in the first team very soon".
    Coleman for Ireland

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Seems very eager to impress, overlapping as much as possible.

In the build up to the liverpool goal, he went off his feet for tackles 3 or 4 times in a row. He won the ball everytime to be fair. The referee deemed the last one to be a foul for studs showing. Showed him a yellow and Liverpool scored from the subsequent free kick. Needs to know when to dive in and when to stay on his feet but I'd say its just over enthusiasm in this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Finished 1-1. Seamie played full 90mins. Played very well, only downfall was giving away the free for Liverpool's goal.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its wasnt a free, free showed he is obviously someone who has never played football...Coleman got the ball clean, took the man then, great tackle...got yellow carded...haha..joke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedzer View Post
    Its wasnt a free, free showed he is obviously someone who has never played football...Coleman got the ball clean, took the man then, great tackle...got yellow carded...haha..joke
    Agreed his was a hard challenge but fair, not a free in mind and deffo not a yellow. A couple of times he went down the wing but the number 7 never give it back to him, looked one of the best on the field for Everton imo.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

did well.

thanks for the link,he did well.I was watching some of it,the everton goal was a joke,wtf was the keeper at??Liverpool had alot of play around edge of evertons box(just like the 1st team) but couldnt get through,well done to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Myself and my son are just back from the game thanks to your esteemed manager. Was great to see Seamie in action and to see hopefully some future stars of Liverpool in action too.

Its mad to think that more fans went to that game than go to most LOI games (3701 official attendance).

Almost had a nightmare getting back from Widnes as our taxi to the station didnt arrive when it was meant to but thankfully the train was late and we made it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Seamie was more than comfortable at that standard. In fact the standard of that match was shocking.

After seeing Hibbert playing the last day, and seeing what competition Seamie has, I think we'll be seeing him in the first team at least, sooner rather than later.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red&White Rover View Post
    Seamie was more than comfortable at that standard. In fact the standard of that match was shocking.

After seeing Hibbert playing the last day, and seeing what competition Seamie has, I think we'll be seeing him in the first team at least, sooner rather than later.
    And at most?? Managing the club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Player/Chairman role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs up

Very good write up in the Herald about him and this game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Coleman cuts the mustard for Everton
    Wednesday February 18 2009

HE COULD have been preparing for a National Football League game against Dublin in Ballyshannon next month, but, instead, Donegal lad Seamus Coleman was this week lining out in the Merseyside derby.
    As he's only just moved to England, so far he has to make do with games in the reserve league instead of the Premier League, which is why Coleman was last night lining out for a young Everton side against Liverpool's second string. The game at the Halton Stobart Stadium in Widnes ended 1-1, with Coleman playing the full 90 minutes.

It could all have been so different if Coleman had chosen his first love -- GAA -- over soccer when he came to a crossroads in his teens, but the man from Killybegs had to turn his back on the path which could have led to the Donegal senior panel and instead threw in his lot with Sligo Rovers.
    It's worked out better than planned as Coleman (20) has played League of Ireland football with Sligo (56 league games), earned international caps at U-21 and U-23 levels, and of course that €60,000 move to Goodison Park, which was completed last month -- not bad for a player who played little soccer until three years ago.

"It's great for me to get a chance to come over to the Premier League because I wouldn't have even thought this was possible when I was 15 or 16 and when other players in Ireland were all signing for English teams," Coleman told the Herald. "I wasn't that involved in soccer until the last few years -- up until I was 17 I had only really played GAA. I was with a couple of the Donegal inter-county teams and I also played for my club at home, Na Cealla Beaga.

"I started playing a bit more soccer for St Catherine's, I had a good game for them against Sligo Rovers in a friendly, Sligo signed me up and it took off from there. I always loved playing Gaelic football and maybe if I'd stayed with it I'd have had a chance with the minors or even the seniors. But I had to make a call between soccer and GAA and I went with the soccer," he added.

Observers saw enough in Coleman from his three seasons with Sligo Rovers' first team to make inquiries. Despite being linked with several cross-channel teams, including Celtic and Birmingham City, Everton were the most keen, inviting the Donegal lad over for trials.

A week at Birmingham went well, too, but his time at Everton was even better, and after some protracted transfer talks, Everton sealed a deal with Sligo, where Coleman became the club's first export since they sold Keith Gilroy to Middlesbrough nine years earlier.

Coleman was not the only League of Ireland player in demand during last month's transfer window as Niall McGinn (Derry City to Celtic) and Keith Fahey (St Pats to Birmingham) also moved to Britain, but Jay O'Shea's move from Galway United to Derby County collapsed and Coleman admits that he feared his deal would also not come off.

"It took a long time to finish off the deal, I think there was a lot of talking between the two clubs, and it was a big relief when I finally signed," Coleman says. "The club have been good to me and helped me settle in, though it's strange to be at a club in England and be the only Irish player in the squad. There's a young lad from Dublin, Karl Sheppard, in the youth team, but apart from that we have no Irish lads here, so it's up to me to fly the flag."

It's hard to know how Coleman will fare at Everton. Exports from the League of Ireland have prospered across the water in recent seasons, as Damien Delaney, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Noel Hunt, Wes Hoolahan and Daryl Murphy all went to win Ireland caps after starting their careers in the League of Ireland, while Stephen Ward and Keith Fahey could be the next LOI old boys to play for Ireland.

But those players began their careers in the UK outside of the Premier League, and very few LOI players have prospered when they joined top flight clubs in England. So Coleman knows that he has a long road ahead before he can think of Premier League success.
    "I am not thinking too far down the road. For now, I want to work on my fitness, get reserve games in and see how things are next season," he says.

"There is a big gap between the reserves and the first team when you're in the Premier League so I know I have a way to go, but I am not setting myself targets in terms of games or appearances. I will get through the next few months, have a break over the summer and try and take off from there.

"I came through my first reserve game, against Middlesbrough, last week and last night against Liverpool was another chance for me. I played the full 90 minutes in both and felt great."

- Aidan Fitzmaurice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    seamie's in 1st team squad for game against newcastle on sunday
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You are joking!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red4Eva View Post
    seamie's in 1st team squad for game against newcastle on sunday
    Ya he must be!?

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Ma...~44697,00.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    They are never reliable, I remember seeing that a player from Man Utd that was not in the squad that travelled and ended up starting, so just wait and see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In fairness I'd say it's way more reliable than some sligo man coming on here and posting it.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast