Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAA debate

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Who said top? I said challenging.... Yes the man with Shels, and he's the missing ingredient to the team (I feel anyway)....

If we play like we have recently we should be okay.... I'd expect at least 2000 at the game considering the fact that the bogball supporters seem to think that the cup is more important than the league....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    macy i wish you'd stop using that bog ball term, the gaa in longford and the soccer club get along fine and so they should, the away strip are the county colours after all. its good to see the two codes getting along, but if people keeps using terms as you've done it will not help.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    that's the greatest load of codswallop... between Club games and televised inter-county games soccer is being suffocated. I have been to three or four games this year because I have been playing for my club on a Saturday evening... I only see the town play in Dublin...
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Fook the Gah, and I for one am sick of the club sucking up to the bigots, rearranging fixtures etc...... The bogballers have never reciprocated it - and their condescending attitude to us when we were in the cup final still rankles with me....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    sorry macy but your problem, get over it and enjoy the fact that young players in the county can play both sports without the so called bigots telling them one or the other.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Originally posted by the dj
    sorry macy but your problem, get over it and enjoy the fact that young players in the county can play both sports without the so called bigots telling them one or the other.
    Can they though? You honestly believe that? You believe that the Gah would give them a choice? They only compromise when it means fitting proper football around their games - never the other way round.....

btw should this thread be split with this arguement going off topic?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    xlex i'm on about longford gaa, not lenister or hq policy, at a local level a lot of people i know who follow gaa ( me being one of them ) go to town games and support the club, club games on a saturday evening were always there in the summer, its the fai that went summer football not the gaa.

i'm from longford and i support all codes, gaa, soccer and even the longford all blacks.

its a small county and there is on point in fighting between ourselves, thats such and irish thing to do.

when i played footbal from my club, county, school and rugby and basketball there was no pressure from gaa sources, they tried one year but the players said they were ok playing a few sports and it was fine,

i think this belief is rooted in history in ireland, but in longford the realationship is fine, ok if a player plays both they have to make a decision which they should focus on, thats only fair on the sports they play and their team members, i don't see anyone having a go at shane barrett for playing soccer instead of gaa ???

your parish team is your parish team and you support your locals , i know a lot of ga clubs that warm up with a game of soccer and all enjoy it , alsoa lot of gaa teams play in local soccer leagues in the winter to keep fit.
    Last edited by max power; 13/08/2003 at 2:31 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i'm on about longford gaa, not lenister or hq policy
    Local GAA fixture are fixed to avoid the televisied inter-county league. I hve been to three or four games due to playing league games on a Saturday, there was always championship games on Saturday evening but now there's televised stuff, big games in neighbouring counties and sadly club league/Championship games on Saturday evenings... I may not be able to get the point across good enough but in my experiance the fact that I play the game doesn't allow me attend town games...

BTW, the Paddy Power scandle doesn't endear me to the Grab All Assoc. either

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    xlex no one asked the fai to start summer football, don't balme the gaa, the summer has always been gaa and the winter soccer, thats always the way its been.

the paddy power thing is a whole different issue and is a step towards professional players no matter how much certain people in crowe park dig their heels in.

"the players are the only ones not getting paid, officals in crowe park, manager, trainers both at county level and club all get paid the only ones who don't are the players the gaa are not an ametuar organisation no matter how much they want to be."

the above was said by pat spilanne on newstalk 106 on monday evening.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree that the eL decided to switch to summer soccer but Local League games are been played more and more on saturday evenings and on the outset it would appear that this is little convienant anyway, it's all irrelevent because for once I'll be free for the Limerick game...

On the PP thing, Spillane is spot on...

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    There really is no point carrying on this if you don't accept what a card carrying member of the GAA has to say.....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    macy what do you mean ??????

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    me?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    You're arguing with Xlex, who has said all along that he plays the game with 30 goalkeepers on the pitch.....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    macy, i'm debating not aruging and i also played the game but due to work commitments i can no longer play.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    the away strip are the county colours after all.
    Sorry for butting in on a Longford thing here, but this REALLY irks me. The blue and yellow are the Longford County GAA colours; the county per se can have whatever bloody colours it feels like. It annoys me because the GAA, which I respect at certain levels, has put its brand on the minds of the nation. Why?
    Why do we think we should live our lived tied to 'counties and their colours'? Why, indeed, can we not think beyond 'counties'? No wonder we're so bloody parochial about everything...
    Counties are so, well, British that it's truly ironic.

Ok, continue your debate....

Donie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    macy, i'm debating not aruging and i also played the game but due to work commitments i can no longer play.
    with that bloody county board and the mentality that you can't have possibly anything better to do on a Saturday night is a wreck the head...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    xlex i gig every saturday night so thats the way i can't play. donie forde, a lot of sports use blue and gold, community games teams, i played a lot of rounders growing up and we wore blue and yellow. it is taken that the county colours are normally the same as the gaa as they are the colours the county are best known for.

another reason for saturdat games was this : lads went out on a saturday night, got hammered and weren't able to play on a sunday so a lot of clubs started having games on a saturday evening to get the players before the drik got them.

also the tv coverage is a big issue as well, but sunday evening games are a way around that.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    The "county" colours was purely a marketing ploy by the club.... Backfired at the cup final as people just wore their bogball jerseys instead of spending money on town jerseys....

As for all the other sports, they are clearly just falling into line with the Gah as well.....

Interesting to note that Longford GAA only really went to playing on a Saturday night (particularly Championship games) when Town started getting decent crowds on a regular basis.... Coincidence or not, it clearly does the Town no favours....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They need to market the club to non-townies... it's a good ten years since a name chance was mooted...

The GAA's increased coverage on RTE is the biggest reason why games are on a Saturday evening, you can no longer have 2 matches on a sunday, at 2.30 and 4.00.

Also when the first league was being played, all games were at 11.30 on Sunday mornings, we played for abouyt five weeks at 11.30 in the morning. HQ moved all their games out of the way for the Grand Slam decider against England and what did the county board do? They fixed matches to directly clash with the biggest rugger game in I don't know how many years, go figure...

Why don't the county board use Friday nights? or noon on Sunday's, why don't the county board play 6.00 p.m. saturday games, only has to be done every two weeks on average.

If the county board and the town got on that's what would happen...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast